drive shafts differences?

An area for technical topics concerning AW10's and AW11's

Moderator: Moderators

Forum rules
This area is dedicated to technical discussions concerning AW10's and AW11's. Please try to spell correctly because this will help people find information later if they are using search functionality. If you need assistance with your car and want to host a spanner day, please use the appropriate section of the forum: http://mr2.org.nz/phpbb3/viewforum.php?f=35 Thank you.
blown
Club Member - MR2OCNZ
Stomping Ground: Hawkes Bay
Prime Mover: SW20
First name: Anthony

drive shafts differences?

Post by blown »

just wondering if anyone knows if the supercharged automatic and manual drive shafts are the same?
converting my auto to manual in a few weeks, got a manual s/c gearbox but no drive shafts or will n/a drive shafts work?

thanks

Sinturion
Club Member - MR2OCNZ
Stomping Ground: Auckland
Prime Mover: AW11
First name: Alex

Re: drive shafts differences?

Post by Sinturion »

Pretty sure you will need the axles from a manual supercharger (hard to find). Naturally aspirated ones definitely won't work.
AW11 - 2GRFE powered

mickeyduck
Life Member - MR2OCNZ
Prime Mover: More than one MR2
First name: Charlie

Post by mickeyduck »

Depends if your gearbox is an E51 (Supercharger box) or the lighter C52 (na box).

The E51 uses the kind of axles with the allen keys attaching them whereas the C52 uses the stud and nut attachments.

I'm fairly sure the auto Supercharger box uses the allen keys same as the E51 manual. Just going by memory mind you so without crawling around under my cars I might be wrong...

As for converting an auto SC to a manual... if your driving is mostly open road, sure. But around a city nothing touches an auto SC for standing starts or cruising in traffic. :twisted: I guess over your neck of the woods that's not much of a worry. :lol: I have one of each breed and I love the both of 'em.
#8^) Charlie the certified Westie
Retired - President 2012 - 2018
Retired - Committee Member 2009 - 2018
Retired - Auckland Area Coordinator 2009 - 2018
Retired - Webmaster, Forum Host & Admin 2010 - 2018 - Now it's mknz

Financial Club Member since 2004 and thanks to *84vvt and co-conspirators, Life Member since April 2017 8)
100+ MR2OCNZ runs and counting... When going hard, good rubber's your best protection against unwanted accidents. Buy good tyres!
When you're nearing the end of the drag-strip and you have no 'chute, you may as well keep your foot to the floor... Live life. There ain't no second pass. :twisted:

blown
Club Member - MR2OCNZ

Post by blown »

doesn't sound to good at this stage but when I look at the e51 and the auto in my car they almost look like it will be a straight swap been told Toyotas are generally pretty good but here's a pic of the auto and the manual **apologies for the huge size**
mr1.jpg
auto (A241E? I believe)
mr2.jpg
manual (E51)
more of a worry might be that the drive shafts are the same but the flange? or hub part that sits in the gearbox before the shafts is different as my e51 doesn't have those :( and if finding S/C drive shafts are really rare/hard to find then the hub/flange parts would be almost impossible to get

mickeyduck
Life Member - MR2OCNZ

Post by mickeyduck »

Dunno mate, my gearbox came with them in. Hopefully the ones from your auto box drop straight in there...?

Financial Club Member since 2004 and thanks to *84vvt and co-conspirators, Life Member since April 2017 8)
100+ MR2OCNZ runs and counting... When going hard, good rubber's your best protection against unwanted accidents. Buy good tyres!
When you're nearing the end of the drag-strip and you have no 'chute, you may as well keep your foot to the floor... Live life. There ain't no second pass. :twisted:

blown
Club Member - MR2OCNZ

Post by blown »

After a few hours of head banging while searching turns out the auto axles are to long and wont dtop in anyway but turbo sw20 shafts may be the same length. Might just be putting a c56 gearbox at this stage :(

Sinturion
Club Member - MR2OCNZ

Post by Sinturion »

Turbo axles have an intermediate shaft on the drivers side. If they are the right length, i'd imagine you'd still need to create some kind of bracket for the intermediate shaft axle bearing.
AW11 - 2GRFE powered

blown
Club Member - MR2OCNZ

Post by blown »

Hmm even then if the lengths are the same making a bracket shouldnt be to difficult. May even be something close around the mounting area. May have to do a build log as I've found some sw20 shafts. Might aswell try it and find out :D

JasonFriday13
Club Member - MR2OCNZ
Stomping Ground: Taranaki
First name: Jason

Post by JasonFriday13 »

Are you sure SW20 NA shafts won't work? They don't have a carrier bearing. I have a spare set of NA shafts I can sell if they fit.
Jason Ross, current cars:
Project: 1990 SW20 GT, 1992+ brake swap, 1992+ subframe swap, 1996 Celica turbo engine swap, 1996 MR2 LSD gearbox swap, Caldina Turbo coil-on-plug ignition, Link G4 Storm, 161kw @ 10psi.
Daily: 2004 Toyota Vitz RS, 1.5L, 5sp
Tow rig: 2009 Camry, 2.4L, auto
Scrapped: 1989 SW20 GT, 1992 SW20 G-Limited, ex EssDub car, donor, 1997 Toyota Tercel 3dr hatch, front crash, 1990 SW20, G-Limited, ex EssDub car, roll crashed, donor
Sold: 1987 AW11 Supercharged, 1991 SW20 G-Limited, ex EssDub car

Malcolm
Club Member - MR2OCNZ
First name: Malcolm

Post by Malcolm »

The sw20 shaft combo is the same length as aw11 sc, however you need to change the outer cv joints to aw11 sc ones.

The sw20 na shafts don't have the right inboard spline for the sc gearbox so won't work.

Sinturion
Club Member - MR2OCNZ

Post by Sinturion »

Malcolm wrote: however you need to change the outer cv joints to aw11 sc ones.
Or ST185 celica CV joints.
AW11 - 2GRFE powered

blown
Club Member - MR2OCNZ

Post by blown »

Yeah I've heard v6 88-91 camry outer cvs will work but ill try the auto outer cvs as they may work aswell. Will be an experience Nyway

mickeyduck
Life Member - MR2OCNZ

Post by mickeyduck »

Malcolm wrote:The sw20 shaft combo is the same length as aw11 sc, however you need to change the outer cv joints to aw11 sc ones.

The sw20 na shafts don't have the right inboard spline for the sc gearbox so won't work.
Now there's a man who knows his stuff. 8)

blown
Club Member - MR2OCNZ

Post by blown »

yeah thanks for all the help guys, can't wait to tackle this challenge, will have to do a build log. thankfully my dad knows his stuff haha man clutch lines will be a challenge and a half

mickeyduck
Life Member - MR2OCNZ

Post by mickeyduck »

Start a thread in the Rides section if you haven't already. :idea:

And flick me a PM if you're going to ditch that auto box. If the price is right I might buy it off you. Cheers. 8)