Coolant leak- advice please

An area for technical topics concerning AW10's and AW11's

Moderator: Moderators

Forum rules
This area is dedicated to technical discussions concerning AW10's and AW11's. Please try to spell correctly because this will help people find information later if they are using search functionality. If you need assistance with your car and want to host a spanner day, please use the appropriate section of the forum: http://mr2.org.nz/phpbb3/viewforum.php?f=35 Thank you.
Millhouse1
Guest of the Club.
Stomping Ground: Christchurch
Prime Mover: AW11
First name: Jamie

Coolant leak- advice please

Post by Millhouse1 »

Hey guys. I've noticed that my AW11 (4AGZE) is leaking coolant. It only seems to do this when the car has cooled right down. I'll come out the following morning and find a small puddle under the car. It appears to be dripping down the front edge of the oil pan. You can see a very small red droplet in the first pic (circled). I've done some research and I think it may be one of three things-

1) Leaking water pump
2) Leaking water pump seal
3) Leaking water pipe

And that would explain why it only leaks when the car is cold- when the pipe/seal contracts slightly.

Do any of you know if there are any pipes running around in that area or where it might be leaking from? I don't even have a jack so can't get under there properly to take a look.

The car is not overheating- gauge stays exactly where it should- and there is no water in the oil or oil in the water so I don't think it's a blown head gasket, although it does have a rough idle when the car has warmed up, but i guess a leak somewhere will cause this due to a loss of pressure.

Any advice or offers of help would be greatly appreciated.

PS- ignore the drops of oil in the puddle of coolant you can see in the second pic- this is a separate leak that just so happens to fall in the same place!
Attachments
Leak.JPG
Leak.JPG (148.23 KiB) Viewed 2611 times
Leak2.JPG
Leak2.JPG (84.42 KiB) Viewed 2611 times

*84vvt
Life Member - MR2OCNZ
Stomping Ground: Wellington
First name: Colin

Re: Coolant leak- advice please

Post by *84vvt »

Try cleaning the engine around the leak /front cover
grab a mirror and light start it up and have a look to see were its coming from and go from there .
Boosted cars are like hot women.
A little edgy, every guy wants one,
some guys can't handle them,
and if you throw a little alcohol in them they'll rock your world.

Millhouse1
Guest of the Club.

Post by Millhouse1 »

Ok so I took it in yesterday and they conducted multiple pressure tests and could not induce any leaks. They have determined that the water pump is leaking. The water is probably running along the oil pan channel and dripping down from there. I'm relieved that it's not a leaking head gasket or anything else serious. I'll get the water pump replaced in the near future. Still a little confused as to how a leaking water pump could also drip down from the bottom of the transmission housing though, which is a distance away. I'll get the pump replaced first, then see if I have a second leak from somewhere else. Thanks for your advice though, appreciate it.

GDII
Forum Moderator - MR2OCNZ
Prime Mover: SW20
First name: Phill

Post by GDII »

Don't leave it too long as a leak from the water pump internal seal can get worse very fast or be minor for a long time.
See the small hole on the housing, that's probably where its coming from as the internal shaft seal will have failed.
Also pressure testing won't always find these sorts of leaks as things expand when they get hot allowing water to pass into the gaps.
1990 SW20 MR2 G-Limited (GEN4 3SGTE Installed)
2000 AE111R Corolla Wagon NZ New Daily
1996 AE101R Corolla Sprint NZ New Selling Soon
1990 EP81 Starlet XL (Sold)
1990 EE90 Corolla XL (Sold)
Instagram https://www.instagram.com/sw20glimited/

Millhouse1
Guest of the Club.

Post by Millhouse1 »

Thanks. I believe the water pump on the 4AGE and 4AGZE are the same? Should I get a genuine Toyota one from the dealership or just a generic one from the likes of Repco? Or where would you recommend I purchase one from?

GDII
Forum Moderator - MR2OCNZ
Prime Mover: SW20
First name: Phill

Post by GDII »

Get a genuine one from Toyota. They may cost more but you get a fully sealed housing unit rather than just the plate with the impeller wheel. Far less chance of leaks early on. Plus you get all new O-rings for the bits you need.
You should get everything in the exploded view at the bottom if you ask for a water pump from Toyota. Places like Repco only sell the front casing like in the colour image.

The part number should be 16100-19115 for the full assembly.
http://jp-carparts.com/toyota/partlist. ... 7&fig=1601

1990 SW20 MR2 G-Limited (GEN4 3SGTE Installed)
2000 AE111R Corolla Wagon NZ New Daily
1996 AE101R Corolla Sprint NZ New Selling Soon
1990 EP81 Starlet XL (Sold)
1990 EE90 Corolla XL (Sold)
Instagram https://www.instagram.com/sw20glimited/

Millhouse1
Guest of the Club.

Post by Millhouse1 »

Thanks, that's great!

mickeyduck
Life Member - MR2OCNZ
Stomping Ground: Auckland
Prime Mover: More than one MR2
First name: Charlie

Post by mickeyduck »

I would add that if your AW is a Supercharger (judging by the crank pulley it is) then the tension on the supercharger belt is critical. I have found that I need to adjust it so it only just doesn't scream at revs under full boost. In other words it needs to be done up only enough to not quite slip when you have your foot to the floor. If it slips you will hear it scream / squeal quite distinctly. If you even slightly over-tighten the supercharger belt you will make the water pump (which runs on the same belt) leak. In my opinion the superchasrger belt should have at least a few more grooves - be half as wide again - so you could have less tension (better for the water pump) but also less chance of the supercharger slipping (which has a lot of resistance at full boost). But that is a design fault not easily remedied.

I would add that this design fault might be aggravated if you fit a non genuine water pump (inferior).

So - back off your supercharger belt tensioner half a turn and see how it goes. The leak might even stop.

If it continues to leak, replace the water pump (and drive belt while you are at it) and do a number of test runs where you add a wee bit more tension each time (maybe half a turn) to the belt tensioner until the thing only just doesn't scream under full throttle.

That's been my experience anyway.

You might want to buy a jack... :idea:
#8^) Charlie the certified Westie
Retired - President 2012 - 2018
Retired - Committee Member 2009 - 2018
Retired - Auckland Area Coordinator 2009 - 2018
Retired - Webmaster, Forum Host & Admin 2010 - 2018 - Now it's mknz

Financial Club Member since 2004 and thanks to *84vvt and co-conspirators, Life Member since April 2017 8)
100+ MR2OCNZ runs and counting... When going hard, good rubber's your best protection against unwanted accidents. Buy good tyres!
When you're nearing the end of the drag-strip and you have no 'chute, you may as well keep your foot to the floor... Live life. There ain't no second pass. :twisted:

Millhouse1
Guest of the Club.

Post by Millhouse1 »

Yes I had a larger crank pulley fitted a few months back and I do think this has sped up the wear on the water pump. I was fully aware of being careful as to how much tension to put on the belt, given the increased tension it puts on the water pump, however I had to have the belt tightened as it was slipping under full boost/over 5500rpm. It seems to be quite a challenge to get the belt tension just right- tight enough not to slip and loose enough not to accelerate the wear other components. Even after the recent adjustment of the belt it has started slipping again so I tried some belt grip which hasn't helped much either. So it seems I either have to put up with the belt slipping at high revs or tighten it and keep replacing the water pump every so often! Any other suggestions?

85AW20v
Club Member - MR2OCNZ
Stomping Ground: Bay Of Plenty
First name: Simon

Post by 85AW20v »

Maybe the pump has been replaced before with something generic....

See ya
Simon

mickeyduck
Life Member - MR2OCNZ
Stomping Ground: Auckland
Prime Mover: More than one MR2
First name: Charlie

Post by mickeyduck »

Maybe, Simon...

You are in exactly the same place as I have been (overboost pulley etc) so you will likely find it is a matter of getting it just right - which can be by as little as a quarter turn on the adjuster.
#8^) Charlie the certified Westie
Retired - President 2012 - 2018
Retired - Committee Member 2009 - 2018
Retired - Auckland Area Coordinator 2009 - 2018
Retired - Webmaster, Forum Host & Admin 2010 - 2018 - Now it's mknz

Financial Club Member since 2004 and thanks to *84vvt and co-conspirators, Life Member since April 2017 8)
100+ MR2OCNZ runs and counting... When going hard, good rubber's your best protection against unwanted accidents. Buy good tyres!
When you're nearing the end of the drag-strip and you have no 'chute, you may as well keep your foot to the floor... Live life. There ain't no second pass. :twisted: