BIG FEET

An area for technical topics concerning AW10's and AW11's

Moderator: Moderators

Forum rules
This area is dedicated to technical discussions concerning AW10's and AW11's. Please try to spell correctly because this will help people find information later if they are using search functionality. If you need assistance with your car and want to host a spanner day, please use the appropriate section of the forum: http://mr2.org.nz/phpbb3/viewforum.php?f=35 Thank you.
zrossa
Guest of the Club.
Stomping Ground: Hawkes Bay
Prime Mover: AW11
First name: Douglas

BIG FEET

Post by zrossa »

Howdy All,

Has anyone run wider tire's such as 225/45/15 or even 245/40/15 . I would be keen to here how they went and where you can get them in New Zealand.

Cheers,

Douglas

Statek
Club Member - MR2OCNZ
Stomping Ground: Auckland
Prime Mover: Looking for an MR2
First name: Kris

Re: BIG FEET

Post by Statek »

You can get 225/50/15 semi-slicks - Toyo or Nitto.
No experience with them though.
1986 Toyota MR2 AW11 20v ST - SOLD

zrossa
Guest of the Club.

Post by zrossa »

The sizes I mentioned exist. There is a set of used 225/45/15 on T.M. now. You seem to be able to get these from a couple of sources locally. Not cheap though. The Mx5 guys use a 245/40/15 in the states from a co. called maxis (or similar). I just love big wide tires. Semi slick wont work on the road. I have 225/50/15 here. They look stupid.

Cheers,

D

zrossa
Guest of the Club.

Post by zrossa »

I was hassling Maxxis nz yesterday. They said the 245/40/15 would cost $498 inc each here. They are $150 Usd on the maxxis usa web sit.

Someone is taking the Piss! I imported some brand new 17x10.5 and 17x9 mags with new tyres from the US a couple of years ago for less than that.

I asked them to price the 225/45/15's as well....bet they will cost even more.

Anyone want to bring some in from the States?

Cheers,

D

zrossa
Guest of the Club.

Post by zrossa »

Howdy all,

I haven't given up on the idea of significantly wide tyres on the AW. While having a wake up in the middle of the night moment recently i checked the web for more about 245 40 15's.

I noticed there is a guys selling the Maxxis on trade me for around 400 nzd. Its the sticky one that's really for the track.

Some interesting new is that you can now get the Hankook ventura ($133 usd) and the BF Goodrich g-force ($182 usd) in this size.

I am keen on some of the Hankooks. Any one know a good way t o get them back to NZ?

Cheers,

Douglas

Swampy
Club Member - MR2OCNZ
Stomping Ground: Waikato
Prime Mover: SW20
First name: James

Post by Swampy »

there's companies who import old yank tanks into NZ and then try and sell them uncomplied on TM. Try contacting them and see if you can get your tyres on their container.
Or you could try NZ Post's service.
Or you could see if yahoo auctions Japan have them. They generally do have tyres in oddball sizes.
In the shed: 91 MR2 G-Limited, 95 Subaru Impreza WRX
In the front of the shed: 95 Corolla
In the driveway: 00 Subaru Legacy Lancaster
In the rear view: 87 Honda Prelude, 94 Nissan Serena, 04 Swift
~ 4 Runs ~