Wiring

An area for technical topics concerning AW10's and AW11's

Moderator: Moderators

Forum rules
This area is dedicated to technical discussions concerning AW10's and AW11's. Please try to spell correctly because this will help people find information later if they are using search functionality. If you need assistance with your car and want to host a spanner day, please use the appropriate section of the forum: http://mr2.org.nz/phpbb3/viewforum.php?f=35 Thank you.
Aidan.robson
Guest of the Club.
Stomping Ground: Auckland
Prime Mover: Looking for an MR2
First name: Aidan

Wiring

Post by Aidan.robson »

Decided I'm going to get the AW re wired. Where is a good place to get it done? Just need a estimate on price

Mike n Rochelle
Club Member - MR2OCNZ
Stomping Ground: Otago
Prime Mover: More than one MR2
First name: mike

Re: Wiring

Post by Mike n Rochelle »

I am building my car from a bare shell and am going to do the engine loom and some of the cabin loom from scratch. I have already stripped a bunch of the crap from the front end and dash loom and that was a nightmare. You will spend megabucks paying to have it done. What actually wrong with the loom now?
4AGZTE AW11 in progress, there is paint and I have lots of bits but still need allot more. Probably end up retired before this ever sees the road.
3sgte SW20 pain in the ass. Long gone
3SGE SW20 Rochelles car, actually road legal and working!!!!! LOL POS is always broken, wasting away in one garage.
2x AW and 1x SW in the process of being cut up for the crap man. Also long gone.
AW car I cant decide what to do with (Steeling parts off it while I decide) Deregd. Also long gone to scrap.

MR2GUY
Club Member - MR2OCNZ
Prime Mover: AW11
First name: Cameron

Post by MR2GUY »

Aidan.robson wrote:Decided I'm going to get the AW re wired. Where is a good place to get it done? Just need a estimate on price
Wiring is a very time consuming process and therefore quite costly, what are you prepared to pay?

Aidan.robson
Guest of the Club.

Post by Aidan.robson »

Wiring is a very time consuming process and therefore quite costly, what are you prepared to pay?[/quote]

I was talking to you about your car at speedshow today. Think I'll get the front and rear halfs re-wired. Not really bothered on price as long as it doesn't get crazy

MR2GUY
Club Member - MR2OCNZ
Prime Mover: AW11
First name: Cameron

Post by MR2GUY »

Yep hahah, well it could be easier to obtain a second hand harness from a wrecked aw11 and much less pricey, send me a pm as I wouldn't mind checking out your AW some time, sounds like you possibly have some relay problems.

Aidan.robson
Guest of the Club.

Post by Aidan.robson »

MR2GUY wrote:Yep hahah, well it could be easier to obtain a second hand harness from a wrecked aw11 and much less pricey, send me a pm as I wouldn't mind checking out your AW some time, sounds like you possibly have some relay problems.
I definitely have some relay problems lol, will do

MIKEP
Area Coordinator - MR2OCNZ
Prime Mover: More than one MR2
First name: Mike

Post by MIKEP »

Hi Aidan

Good to see you again.Check out this link http://www.fero.co.nz Its the company that makes wiring looms that I work for.I agree that maybe you should just get the sub looms done.Second hand harnesses and connectors can be heaps of trouble.A hand made harness involves a lot more than just wires.You need to get the right gauges of wire ,the right lengths,the correct splices and these need to be made to a loo map ,they can take many hours. We make OEM looms for Toyota among other makes so it comes from experience.

I have seen many bad so called "new harnesses" often the connectors are hand crimped not machine crimped so that in many cases pull off.You can't buy OEM connectors for Toyotaas spares

None of the problems you describe make me think that you have bad wiring apart from the fact that it looks a little ropes.It is
More likely an earth problem or a relay. Ropey wiring as long as it hasn't been cut can be tidied up easily.

if you call Warren at the number I gave you he can get you running and give you an opinion on the wiring.It will be money well spent instead of firing off on a rewire that may or may not be better.

if indeed you need a rewire or new loom I can help you with the connectors and I can map it for you.

Hope this helps

Mike
86 AW11 S/C,
81 Porsche 924S
02 VW Golf GTI
Minisprint powered by 4AGE 73D
99 ZZW30 Spyder
04 VW Passat V5
04 Mercedes ML270Cdi
90 SW20 N/A
2022 Club President
Auckland AC-Shows,Motorsport