NST Pulley Kits

An area for technical topics concerning AW10's and AW11's

Moderator: Moderators

Forum rules
This area is dedicated to technical discussions concerning AW10's and AW11's. Please try to spell correctly because this will help people find information later if they are using search functionality. If you need assistance with your car and want to host a spanner day, please use the appropriate section of the forum: http://mr2.org.nz/phpbb3/viewforum.php?f=35 Thank you.
MIKEP
Area Coordinator - MR2OCNZ
Stomping Ground: Auckland
Prime Mover: More than one MR2
First name: Mike

NST Pulley Kits

Post by MIKEP »

Anyone know anything about these http://www.shopnonstoptuning.com/store/ ... 011K_.html

They look pretty cool and they are a good price . Are they the oversized pulley or just standard size. Interested in getting a second opinion
86 AW11 S/C,
81 Porsche 924S
02 VW Golf GTI
Minisprint powered by 4AGE 73D
99 ZZW30 Spyder
04 VW Passat V5
04 Mercedes ML270Cdi
90 SW20 N/A
2022 Club President
Auckland AC-Shows,Motorsport

mickeyduck
Life Member - MR2OCNZ
First name: Charlie

Re: NST Pulley Kits

Post by mickeyduck »

Yeah their site is a bit thin on actual info innit? :lol:

Not sure I'd put a non-damped pulley on the crank Mike. Being old motors things are a bit loose already and you might find things start to shake and break...

Tom posted about another brand of un-damped alloy overboost pulley on my Rides thread a couple weeks back, complete with pic and full specs.

If you're game to take the un-dampened punt, maybe it would be a go? It's the max, 175mm same as I used to run (mine was a dampened steel one). They up the boost from about 8 to about 14 pound, which brings the AW up to about the same pace in a straight line as a standard gen 3 turbo SW. I'd buy one except I'm apprehensive about the non-dampened aspect. Don't need more stuff breaking... Especially a crank shaft!

https://technotoytuning.com/toyota/16v4 ... ank-pulley
#8^) Charlie the certified Westie
Retired - President 2012 - 2018
Retired - Committee Member 2009 - 2018
Retired - Auckland Area Coordinator 2009 - 2018
Retired - Webmaster, Forum Host & Admin 2010 - 2018 - Now it's mknz

Financial Club Member since 2004 and thanks to *84vvt and co-conspirators, Life Member since April 2017 8)
100+ MR2OCNZ runs and counting... When going hard, good rubber's your best protection against unwanted accidents. Buy good tyres!
When you're nearing the end of the drag-strip and you have no 'chute, you may as well keep your foot to the floor... Live life. There ain't no second pass. :twisted:

Ken & Barbie
Life Member - MR2OCNZ
Stomping Ground: Waikato
Prime Mover: AW11
First name: Ken

Post by Ken & Barbie »

Hi Guys,
FYI, some years ago, I swapped a blown 4AGZE motor for some CF Bedford parts I had. The cause of the "blow up" was supposedly due to one of those all alloy (non dampened) big diameter pulleys.
I had the centre of the alloy big pulley machined out, and shrink fit/dowelled onto a machined down stock dampened one. A dyno run showed 11.6psi boost, and 163BHP.
Cheers,
Ken.

MR2GUY
Club Member - MR2OCNZ
First name: Cameron

Post by MR2GUY »

Ken & Barbie wrote:Hi Guys,
FYI, some years ago, I swapped a blown 4AGZE motor for some CF Bedford parts I had. The cause of the "blow up" was supposedly due to one of those all alloy (non dampened) big diameter pulleys.
I had the centre of the alloy big pulley machined out, and shrink fit/dowelled onto a machined down stock dampened one. A dyno run showed 11.6psi boost, and 163BHP.
Cheers,
Ken.
Yep and I happily have this Dampener on my AW11 thanks to Ken.

I know that Endevour Engineering in Tauranga can shrink pulleys onto Dampeners as the have done with my AE92 track car.
But a great option for the 4agze oversize pulley is the one that Barry Manon specially had made from BHJ which retains Harmonics ( http://www.mrpltd.co.nz/product/4agze-boost-up-pulley/ )
A very nice piece in my opinion and comes with the idler also 8)

mickeyduck
Life Member - MR2OCNZ

Post by mickeyduck »

I agree MRP's one is very nice - pity about the price.

I'll ask Endeavour about rebuilding my pulley... Thanks for the info Cam.

Financial Club Member since 2004 and thanks to *84vvt and co-conspirators, Life Member since April 2017 8)
100+ MR2OCNZ runs and counting... When going hard, good rubber's your best protection against unwanted accidents. Buy good tyres!
When you're nearing the end of the drag-strip and you have no 'chute, you may as well keep your foot to the floor... Live life. There ain't no second pass. :twisted:

85AW20v
Club Member - MR2OCNZ
Stomping Ground: Bay Of Plenty
First name: Simon

Post by 85AW20v »

MRP might also know someone who can sort out your crank timing sprocket Charlie....
http://www.mrpltd.co.nz/product-categor ... ion-parts/
See ya
Simon
AW11 Racecar - 860kg

mickeyduck
Life Member - MR2OCNZ

Post by mickeyduck »

Are you referring to their offer to cut a new keyway in a crank sprocket for $45 Simon?
Screen Shot 2017-04-15 at 7.10.02 pm.png
Screen Shot 2017-04-15 at 7.10.02 pm.png (12.45 KiB) Viewed 3891 times
Doing that in my naffed over-boost pulley would be brilliant except that it also has a bloody great crack through it, so I no longer trust it to hold together.

Maybe it can be sleeved with steel tubing? I can always mod a plastic lower cover to suit.

Or perhaps they can rehash my two crank pulleys to create one? I must ask them. Cos you're right they clearly have the capability. Though they may prefer to try to sell me one of theirs for $700... Might as well ask, for sure.

85AW20v
Club Member - MR2OCNZ
Stomping Ground: Bay Of Plenty
First name: Simon

Post by 85AW20v »

mickeyduck wrote:Are you referring to their offer to cut a new keyway in a crank sprocket for $45 Simon? ....

Probably this. Just remembered something about you - or maybe it was someone else - having trouble getting someone to cut a keyway for them.
See ya
Simon
AW11 Racecar - 860kg

mickeyduck
Life Member - MR2OCNZ

Post by mickeyduck »

Yeah it was me Simon but the thing would need welding too which turns out to be the bigger problem. I think I'll try Endeavour Engineering for a start. See if they can make one good over-boost pulley out of my two pulleys.

BHJ are in the USA and the MRP pulley isn't listed as for sale on their site so MRP must have an agreement with them.

http://www.bhjdynamics.com/index.php?ma ... si1s75vnf4

Found this though in case anyone wants to read up about dampened crank pulleys:

http://www.bhjdynamics.com/index.php?ma ... =page&id=4

MR2GUY
Club Member - MR2OCNZ

Post by MR2GUY »

I had them rebuild this pulley with another supplied one, they sleved the gear after machining the original v belt off and sleeved the snout to reinforce it a bit from future breakout

Before
IMAG0425.jpg
After
imagejpeg_0.jpg
imagejpeg_0.jpg (134.64 KiB) Viewed 3861 times
The price for this was 350 so almost worth getting a new pulley anyway

mickeyduck
Life Member - MR2OCNZ

Post by mickeyduck »

Less than half the price of a new one from MRP. Looks like a tidy job too. :)

MR2GUY
Club Member - MR2OCNZ

Post by MR2GUY »

mickeyduck wrote:Less than half the price of a new one from MRP. Looks like a tidy job too. :)
Yea good point. I have no complaints for them, pretty quick turnaround too.