Shift cable solution? Brand new cables??

An area for technical topics concerning AW10's and AW11's

Moderator: Moderators

Forum rules
This area is dedicated to technical discussions concerning AW10's and AW11's. Please try to spell correctly because this will help people find information later if they are using search functionality. If you need assistance with your car and want to host a spanner day, please use the appropriate section of the forum: http://mr2.org.nz/phpbb3/viewforum.php?f=35 Thank you.
Ash Kelly Barr
Club Member - MR2OCNZ
Stomping Ground: Auckland
Prime Mover: AW11
First name: Ash

Shift cable solution? Brand new cables??

Post by Ash Kelly Barr »

Hey so an after market adjustable shifter came up for sale.
Further looking into it, it used cables very similar to MR2 ones.

Recently snapping a cable in butf**k no where and being stuck with an hours country road driving with only 3rd I've started hording cables.

Looking further at the evo cables they look to be very similar to MR2 ones
http://www.streettunedmotorsports.com/p ... 107670.htm

Would also open up selector options for bigger budget race cars
Toyota motors:
Current - 89 AW11 factory manual SC
Sold - 74 Toyota Crown wagon (MS63), Holden 308, TH400 trans

mickeyduck
Life Member - MR2OCNZ
Prime Mover: More than one MR2
First name: Charlie

Re: Shift cable solution? Brand new cables??

Post by mickeyduck »

Are you going to get some Evo cables Ash?
If so it'll be very interesting to know if they do actually fit ok.

Otherwise this fits in with a line of thinking I have at the moment regards parts issues... But we'll get to that a bit later.
#8^) Charlie the certified Westie
Retired - President 2012 - 2018
Retired - Committee Member 2009 - 2018
Retired - Auckland Area Coordinator 2009 - 2018
Retired - Webmaster, Forum Host & Admin 2010 - 2018 - Now it's mknz

Financial Club Member since 2004 and thanks to *84vvt and co-conspirators, Life Member since April 2017 8)
100+ MR2OCNZ runs and counting... When going hard, good rubber's your best protection against unwanted accidents. Buy good tyres!
When you're nearing the end of the drag-strip and you have no 'chute, you may as well keep your foot to the floor... Live life. There ain't no second pass. :twisted:

flying_wedge
Club Member - MR2OCNZ
Stomping Ground: Christchurch
First name: Mark

Post by flying_wedge »

I also have had one snap on me, but only ~20 mins from home. I was stuck in 2nd, but had open road and hills which made for a tedious drive home.
And likewise, think I have 2 full sets for the inevitable time when another snaps.
Buy some evo ones and do some research for the team Ash!!

Malcolm
Club Member - MR2OCNZ
First name: Malcolm

Post by Malcolm »

The shifter end of those cables doesn't look like it would work straight off the bat, but there may be scope to modify them to work. It would be exceedingly coincidental if the lengths all worked out correct, but again it might be possible to modify them to work

Another option is getting new cables made using the "tricky bits" (cable inner ends and cable outer mounts) from a broken set of cables. There is a company in Hamilton called Apex Autocentre who make a lot of cables for us at work using this method, so we send them a donor cable that has the right mounts on it and they remove them from the donor cable and make up a new one. It's not cheap though, I think you'd be looking at something around $200-300 per cable, possibly more.

There's also the possibility that a generic push/pull cable could be found with enough adjustment range to work. These usually have a threaded section on the outer for mounting, which allows you to adjust the effective outer length, then threaded ends on the inner that allow you to adjust the inner length and add whatever ends are needed.

The ultimate solution, IMO, would be to make a linkage rather than using cables. This is typically lighter and gives a more direct feel to the shifter, but it is complicated by the engine being soft-mounted and therefore able to move (need to make sure the linkage allows for this without accidentally forcing a gear shift!).

Ash Kelly Barr
Club Member - MR2OCNZ
First name: Ash

Post by Ash Kelly Barr »

Maybe I'll se if someone wrecking an evo and if I can get them cheap enough I'll get some to check.

For the ends something like a brass bush could be made to suit.

And selector bracket redrilled to sit forward or back a bit.

If we could make something that would be cool, need a plastic outer that's threaded all the way.
Then the mounts off the old ones thread on a lathe and crimp ends onto an inner cable.

I do think there's a cheap solution out there, it's just finding it
Toyota motors:
Current - 89 AW11 factory manual SC
Sold - 74 Toyota Crown wagon (MS63), Holden 308, TH400 trans

Statek
Club Member - MR2OCNZ
Prime Mover: Looking for an MR2
First name: Kris

Post by Statek »

Just a thought, but are the Evo cables different to grandpa spec Lancer? I don't see any reason for them to be different, and I'm sure 'Evo' rated items will be much higher cost.
1986 Toyota MR2 AW11 20v ST - SOLD

mickeyduck
Life Member - MR2OCNZ

Post by mickeyduck »

Nice thinking there Kris. :mrgreen:

Financial Club Member since 2004 and thanks to *84vvt and co-conspirators, Life Member since April 2017 8)
100+ MR2OCNZ runs and counting... When going hard, good rubber's your best protection against unwanted accidents. Buy good tyres!
When you're nearing the end of the drag-strip and you have no 'chute, you may as well keep your foot to the floor... Live life. There ain't no second pass. :twisted:

Statek
Club Member - MR2OCNZ

Post by Statek »

I'm just trying to stay ahead of Malcolm with my total number of posts :lol: :lol: :lol:

85AW20v
Club Member - MR2OCNZ
Stomping Ground: Bay Of Plenty
First name: Simon

Post by 85AW20v »

Statek wrote:I'm just trying to stay ahead of Malcolm with my total number of posts :lol: :lol: :lol:
You might be OK Kris as neither your's nor Charlies look like they've updated in this thread so you should stay ahead of Malcolm..... :?
See ya
Simon
AW11 Racecar - 860kg

mickeyduck
Life Member - MR2OCNZ

Post by mickeyduck »

Statek wrote:I'm just trying to stay ahead of Malcolm with my total number of posts :lol: :lol: :lol:
I hope that is a tradition you intend to maintain for quite some time yet Kris.
It's good to have the both of you posting here on a regular basis. 8)

Statek
Club Member - MR2OCNZ

Post by Statek »

85AW20v wrote:You might be OK Kris as neither your's nor Charlies look like they've updated in this thread so you should stay ahead of Malcolm..... :?
I think that number below the image shows the total amount of posts. So each time anyone posts, it ups the number on all posts - eg. I was on 557 before i submitted this message :)

JasonFriday13
Club Member - MR2OCNZ
Stomping Ground: Taranaki
Prime Mover: SW20
First name: Jason

Post by JasonFriday13 »

Yep, it's total posts. The highest post count in one thread for me is 146, in my own ride thread.
Jason Ross, current cars:
Project: 1990 SW20 GT, 1992+ brake swap, 1992+ subframe swap, 1996 Celica turbo engine swap, 1996 MR2 LSD gearbox swap, Caldina Turbo coil-on-plug ignition, Link G4 Storm, 161kw @ 10psi.
Daily: 2004 Toyota Vitz RS, 1.5L, 5sp
Tow rig: 2009 Camry, 2.4L, auto
Scrapped: 1989 SW20 GT, 1992 SW20 G-Limited, ex EssDub car, donor, 1997 Toyota Tercel 3dr hatch, front crash, 1990 SW20, G-Limited, ex EssDub car, roll crashed, donor
Sold: 1987 AW11 Supercharged, 1991 SW20 G-Limited, ex EssDub car