Here's is a interesting one! Any ideas on this fault?? Video

An area for technical topics concerning AW10's and AW11's

Moderator: Moderators

Forum rules
This area is dedicated to technical discussions concerning AW10's and AW11's. Please try to spell correctly because this will help people find information later if they are using search functionality. If you need assistance with your car and want to host a spanner day, please use the appropriate section of the forum: http://mr2.org.nz/phpbb3/viewforum.php?f=35 Thank you.
Benckj
Forum Moderator - MR2OCNZ
Stomping Ground: Otago
Prime Mover: More than one MR2
First name: Jim

Re: Here's is a interesting one! Any ideas on this fault?? Video

Post by Benckj »

Yea, Jared is the guru of the NZ-MS world but doubt if he would have tune stored. Might be best if sometime down the track you get a laptop with TS installed and download the tune. This will allow something to work with and datalog engine vitals. Certainly helps with diagnoising faults like this along with knock control and VE + timing issues. If you ever install a wideband can input this directly to MS for auto tuning.

Onto your problem though- grounds are very important especially with running an EMS. When checking the wiring make sure there is a decent large conductor going from MS to the engine block and then onto chassis. If unsure run another as often the termination connection is where the problem occur.
Jim Benck
90 rev 1 parts car
98 rev 5 GT- all the mods

Gleshlich
Club Member - MR2OCNZ
Stomping Ground: Wellington
Prime Mover: SW20
First name: Justin

Post by Gleshlich »

It's very easy to download the tune. If you're buying a cable and use Windows 10, make sure its compatible. PB-Tech have them pretty cheap. With the cable you can essentially retune the car. Make sure you have a backup saved before making any changes though
Current:
1989 V6 Widebody SW
1996 EK Civic Hatch
2007 BMW 335i Touring

Benckj

Post by Benckj »

If you're buying a cable and use Windows 10, make sure its compatible. PB-Tech have them pretty cheap.
Cable is easy as long as the laptop has a serial port (uses TX,RX and ground & BT if required). Not many laptops do so need a USB to serial converter and very few work without an issue. Need one with a FTDI chipset as sold through MS.

https://www.diyautotune.com/product/usb ... nerstudio/
Jim Benck
90 rev 1 parts car

Gleshlich
Club Member - MR2OCNZ
Stomping Ground: Wellington
Prime Mover: SW20
First name: Justin

Post by Gleshlich »

Benckj wrote: Cable is easy as long as the laptop has a serial port (uses TX,RX and ground & BT if required). Not many laptops do so need a USB to serial converter and very few work without an issue. Need one with a FTDI chipset as sold through MS.

https://www.diyautotune.com/product/usb ... nerstudio/
Have you got any experience with the Bluetooth adapters? What do you recommend for a rear mounted ECU for a tablet/phone in the cabin
Current:
1989 V6 Widebody SW
1996 EK Civic Hatch
2007 BMW 335i Touring

Benckj

Post by Benckj »

I've played a bit with BT connections and I would not recommend if you need continuous data stream. It's easy enough to run a serial cable into the cab and from there either use a serial -USB converter or BT node. If you go the BT way make sure you use the MS adapter and your tablet can act as a Host.
Jim Benck
90 rev 1 parts car

Mr-Paulio
Area Coordinator - MR2OCNZ
Stomping Ground: Auckland
Prime Mover: AW11
First name: Paul

Post by Mr-Paulio »

So I changed the battery today. Because I pulled it out of the garage this morning then it didn't start again. After charging all night. I also checked all the large ground wires which are in good shape, and secured well from battery to body. And body to gearbox. Still no improvement.
But I have now temporary fixed the issue. Buy removing the bulbs! :lol:
It's only the cat, cooling fan, SC and charge lights anyway. And only the charge light works with the new ECU anyway. So I'll just keep an eye on the volt meter for a failed alternator. Should that ever happen.

Also just to confirm. There isn't​ a fault as such. Performance and everything is fine. It's just that the lights flashing on and off.
I probably didn't make that clear before :wink:
'89 AW11 V6 Turbo (350BHP & 380Ft/lbs!) :twisted:
'86 AW11 20V (Sold) :(
'91 SW20 Turbo "BlackRat" #RatRodStyle (Sold) :(
'91 SW20 Turbo (Sold) :(
South Auckland Area Coordinator

mickeyduck
Life Member - MR2OCNZ
First name: Charlie

Post by mickeyduck »

Might be an idea to go for a 100km blat before doing Kaiaua Paul...? To be sure to be sure... :wink:
#8^) Charlie the certified Westie
Retired - President 2012 - 2018
Retired - Committee Member 2009 - 2018
Retired - Auckland Area Coordinator 2009 - 2018
Retired - Webmaster, Forum Host & Admin 2010 - 2018 - Now it's mknz

Financial Club Member since 2004 and thanks to *84vvt and co-conspirators, Life Member since April 2017 8)
100+ MR2OCNZ runs and counting... When going hard, good rubber's your best protection against unwanted accidents. Buy good tyres!
When you're nearing the end of the drag-strip and you have no 'chute, you may as well keep your foot to the floor... Live life. There ain't no second pass. :twisted:

Mr-Paulio

Post by Mr-Paulio »

mickeyduck wrote:Might be an idea to go for a 100km blat before doing Kaiaua Paul...? To be sure to be sure... :wink:
Yeah you are right. I really want a sticker!! :lol:
I've done plenty of smaller trips. I think if it was a major it would have happened by now. There are limited safety's hooked up to the megasquirt so I believe this is something to do with the factory wiring/harness etc not knowing what is going on
Or faulty. Although the other thing is it wasn't a problem initially. For the first 3 months of the install that is. And nothing has changed since?? :?:

vrtigo
Club Member - MR2OCNZ
First name: Cameron

Post by vrtigo »

Id put money on a dodgy earth.

Jamie16
Guest of the Club.
Stomping Ground: Southland
First name: Jamie

Post by Jamie16 »

Easy and fast way to check for crook earth, just grab your jumper cables and bang one onto the negative post of the battery and the other end on to a clean bolt/nut of a decent size. Try both from batt to engine and batt to body. Only takes a minute then you can cross dodgy earth off the list :D

Benckj

Post by Benckj »

Jamie16 wrote:Easy and fast way to check for crook earth, just grab your jumper cables and bang one onto the negative post of the battery and the other end on to a clean bolt/nut of a decent size. Try both from batt to engine and batt to body. Only takes a minute then you can cross dodgy earth off the list :D
Just for clarity the trick doesn't really work with a SW20 as the ground wire which tends to go bad is located from trans to chassis. By trying your way this doesn't eliminate the return path unless you can extend the neg cable all the way to engine bay. May be fine for Aw11 as battery is often in engine bay.
Jim Benck
90 rev 1 parts car

Mr-Paulio

Post by Mr-Paulio »

I still have no issues other than the lights flashing on/off. So I have not investigated this issue further as yet.... But maybe one day I'll get around to it. If it annoys me enough! :lol: