Aw11 polyurethane engine mounts

An area for technical topics concerning AW10's and AW11's

Moderator: Moderators

Forum rules
This area is dedicated to technical discussions concerning AW10's and AW11's. Please try to spell correctly because this will help people find information later if they are using search functionality. If you need assistance with your car and want to host a spanner day, please use the appropriate section of the forum: http://mr2.org.nz/phpbb3/viewforum.php?f=35 Thank you.
Adarewyr
Club Member - MR2OCNZ
Stomping Ground: Otago
Prime Mover: AW11
First name: Lachlan

Aw11 polyurethane engine mounts

Post by Adarewyr »

Hey guys, I was just wondering if anyone had used the polyurethane engine mounts on twosrus, what they're like once they're installed, and any tips for me when I come to put mine in.

flying_wedge
Club Member - MR2OCNZ
Stomping Ground: Christchurch
First name: Mark

Re: Aw11 polyurethane engine mounts

Post by flying_wedge »

Adarewyr wrote:Hey guys, I was just wondering if anyone had used the polyurethane engine mounts on twosrus, what they're like once they're installed, and any tips for me when I come to put mine in.
They are easy enough to put in - just have a hacksaw and put the blade through your current mount with the cutting edge facing out and cut nice and straight through the outer metal ring of the mount.
Note, that's the area highlighted in red, don't saw through the whole thing!! Once the tension is released you'll be able to whack it out with a hammer.
Or if you have a workshop press at hand use that rather than my laymans technique.
New mounts just push in by hand.
635118900.jpg
You'll notice increased engine vibration being transferred to the cabin and car as a whole. Might be for you, might not.
One note of warning is the increased likely hood of cracking the front engine mount as I did - if you do any reading it's likely all AW11's will have this issue eventually, but a 'solid' mounted front engine mount with the urethane mounts would certainly speed up this process.
2015-04-03 10.57.05.jpg
Matrix Garage do a weld over plate which is excellent at resolving the issue, even if yours is already cracked (or cracks in the future). I can't link the page to Matrix Garage site at the moment as it seems offline, but check again later for his "AW11 front motor mount weld in reinforcement plate"
I don't have any pics of this on mine, but you get the idea.

Adarewyr
Club Member - MR2OCNZ
First name: Lachlan

Post by Adarewyr »

I'm worried about the vibrations tbh, my whole interior seems to be held in by like two screws so everything vibrates as it is ahah, but thanks man I guess I'll stop stalling and put them in

Statek
Club Member - MR2OCNZ
Stomping Ground: Auckland
Prime Mover: Looking for an MR2
First name: Kris

Post by Statek »

My car was never a daily, but I didn't notice that much difference when I switched to the polyurethane front and rear mounts. That could have also been due to the sagging OE mounts causing just as much vibration as the replacements 8)

I also had the cracked front mounting point on the chassis after using polyurethane mounts.
1986 Toyota MR2 AW11 20v ST - SOLD

mickeyduck
Life Member - MR2OCNZ
Prime Mover: More than one MR2
First name: Charlie

Post by mickeyduck »

I'd recommend buying the full set of mount inserts for all four mounts from matrix garage, and get the ones with the holes drilled in so they are softer. That's what I'm likely going to do. I found the Twos R Us ones a bit hard, vibration a bit irritating. Plus they don't do inserts for the east-west mounts whereas that's part of the Matrix Garage kit. 8)
#8^) Charlie the certified Westie
Retired - President 2012 - 2018
Retired - Committee Member 2009 - 2018
Retired - Auckland Area Coordinator 2009 - 2018
Retired - Webmaster, Forum Host & Admin 2010 - 2018 - Now it's mknz

Financial Club Member since 2004 and thanks to *84vvt and co-conspirators, Life Member since April 2017 8)
100+ MR2OCNZ runs and counting... When going hard, good rubber's your best protection against unwanted accidents. Buy good tyres!
When you're nearing the end of the drag-strip and you have no 'chute, you may as well keep your foot to the floor... Live life. There ain't no second pass. :twisted:

NzLHD
Club Member - MR2OCNZ
First name: David

Post by NzLHD »

Another alternative could be to make your own poly mounts out of the old ones.
I did this as a bit of and experiment on the front engine mount and it has been holding up very well for just under a year now.

Cleaned out the old rubber with a oxy torch and made a little jig/mold and poured liquid polyurethane in and let it set.

Followed 'driving 4 answers' tutorial on youtube, used smooth-on's Reoflex 60 and colored it with black printer toner.
poly-mounts-diy-featured.jpg
poly-mounts-diy-featured.jpg (32.42 KiB) Viewed 7236 times
'86 AW10 2ZZ-GTE

mknz
Site Admin - MR2OCNZ
First name: Michael

Post by mknz »

You could just soak the rubber in gasoline

mickeyduck
Life Member - MR2OCNZ

Post by mickeyduck »

NzLHD wrote:...used smooth-on's Reoflex 60
https://www.smooth-on.com/product-line/reoflex/

Hah - nice. Where did you get it please David, and how much did you use to do one mount?

Financial Club Member since 2004 and thanks to *84vvt and co-conspirators, Life Member since April 2017 8)
100+ MR2OCNZ runs and counting... When going hard, good rubber's your best protection against unwanted accidents. Buy good tyres!
When you're nearing the end of the drag-strip and you have no 'chute, you may as well keep your foot to the floor... Live life. There ain't no second pass. :twisted:

NzLHD
Club Member - MR2OCNZ

Post by NzLHD »

mknz wrote:You could just soak the rubber in gasoline
^ saves taking a few years off ya life, haha

Got it from http://www.fibreglassshop.co.nz if you search reoflex it should come up. I opted for the 60 Shore.
$40 for 900g, I used about 400g on the front mount. So less then $20 per mount?
'86 AW10 2ZZ-GTE

Mike n Rochelle
Club Member - MR2OCNZ
First name: mike

Post by Mike n Rochelle »

Thanks David I might have a go at that myself. Do they work out soft like the OE or more like the two's r us ones?
4AGZTE AW11 in progress, there is paint and I have lots of bits but still need allot more. Probably end up retired before this ever sees the road.
3sgte SW20 pain in the ass. Long gone
3SGE SW20 Rochelles car, actually road legal and working!!!!! LOL POS is always broken, wasting away in one garage.
2x AW and 1x SW in the process of being cut up for the crap man. Also long gone.
AW car I cant decide what to do with (Steeling parts off it while I decide) Deregd. Also long gone to scrap.

mickeyduck
Life Member - MR2OCNZ

Post by mickeyduck »

I'm thinking the same thing Mike. And if you make them solid I think you'd want them softer... For that reason I'm thinking either 40A or at most 50A Shore hardness. If you make them hollow as per the OEM ones then maybe you'd want 60A or harder.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shore_durometer

I've tried the Twos R Us inserts in the front and rear mounts in my AW and found them very harsh with a lot of vibration transferred to the chassis. They are 75A hardness. I don't like the idea of cracks developing in the chassis due to too much vibration so I think something a little softer is in order.

https://twosrus.com/catalog/product_inf ... cts_id=215
Screen Shot 2017-11-12 at 9.14.09 am.png
Screen Shot 2017-11-12 at 9.14.09 am.png (419.69 KiB) Viewed 7199 times
If I buy the Matrix Garage inserts I'll be going for the drilled ones. They use 80A compound so solid ones would be great for a race car but a bit nasty for extended use.

http://www.matrixgarage.com/products/aw ... -mount-set
Screen Shot 2017-11-12 at 9.12.16 am.png
Screen Shot 2017-11-12 at 9.12.16 am.png (637.76 KiB) Viewed 7199 times
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2_0BYvTkZ0o

Mike n Rochelle
Club Member - MR2OCNZ

Totally agree Charlie I have waited too long for this car to be done and dont want to damage the chassis. I was also looking at the matrix garage ones with the holes but figure I could give DIY a go and see if I have any luck developing my own cheaper an I have plenty of mounts to practice on at the moment. As my car is not by any means done I might have to farm out a set to someone to fit and test for me. If I can make something good I could try to make a jig with all the holes set into it so I could replicate them and find someone with the time to make them as it takes me forever to get anything done unless I have a bunch at a time and run a production line so to speak :D
4AGZTE AW11 in progress, there is paint and I have lots of bits but still need allot more. Probably end up retired before this ever sees the road.
3SGE SW20 Rochelles car, actually road legal and working!!!!! LOL POS is always broken, wasting away in one garage.
2x AW and 1x SW in the process of being cut up for the crap man. Also long gone.
AW car I cant decide what to do with (Steeling parts off it while I decide) Deregd. Also long gone to scrap.

NzLHD
Club Member - MR2OCNZ

Post by NzLHD »

Mike n Rochelle wrote:Thanks David I might have a go at that myself. Do they work out soft like the OE or more like the two's r us ones?
I haven't seen or felt how strong the two's are. the urethane is 60 shore vs the 75 of the two's ones. they are deff's more stiff then the stock ones thats for sure.
Haven't got any significant engine vibrations in the car but I've only done the one mount.
'86 AW10 2ZZ-GTE

Mike n Rochelle
Club Member - MR2OCNZ

Cool I might have to give that a go.

mickeyduck
Life Member - MR2OCNZ

Post by mickeyduck »

Found this post on mr2.com by the guy from Matrix Garage. Interesting, though I disagree with his statement about not needing to remove the old rubber as I tried that once and even though I had rarked the surface of the old rubber up a lot, they still just fell apart after a while.

The main thing I get from this is that it'd be a good idea to use a special primer to help the urethane adhere.

I think I'll try 50A though when the time comes. It's close to a standard mount as I understand it.

Anyway here's the guy's post. I'll biff up a screenshot too in case it ever vanishes (I hate things like Photobucket's mess).

Food for thought:

http://www.mr2.com/forums/threads/10826 ... lyurethane
Screen Shot 2017-11-15 at 9.57.09 pm.png