Aw11 polyurethane engine mounts

An area for technical topics concerning AW10's and AW11's

Moderator: Moderators

Forum rules
This area is dedicated to technical discussions concerning AW10's and AW11's. Please try to spell correctly because this will help people find information later if they are using search functionality. If you need assistance with your car and want to host a spanner day, please use the appropriate section of the forum: http://mr2.org.nz/phpbb3/viewforum.php?f=35 Thank you.
Adarewyr
Club Member - MR2OCNZ
Stomping Ground: Otago
Prime Mover: AW11
First name: Lachlan

Re: Aw11 polyurethane engine mounts

Post by Adarewyr »

Hey guys, I'm under my car changing the alternator belt, and I've got my new mounts here, do I just take each engine mount out one at a time and insert the new poly mount, or do I need something to support my engine? Also are all four poly inserts meant to be the same size or are two significantly bigger?

mknz
Site Admin - MR2OCNZ
Stomping Ground: Auckland
Prime Mover: More than one MR2
First name: Michael

Post by mknz »

Put a piece of wood ontop of a jack and support the engine and gearbox, especially for the left and right ones

GDII
Forum Moderator - MR2OCNZ
Stomping Ground: Wellington
Prime Mover: SW20
First name: Phill

Post by GDII »

What mknz said. The front and back mounts are only there to stop the engine rotating when it's running. The left and right mounts hold the engine and gearbox in the car. So the whole engine and gearbox are only held in by 2 bolts.
1990 SW20 MR2 G-Limited (GEN4 3SGTE Installed)
2000 AE111R Corolla Wagon NZ New Daily
1996 AE101R Corolla Sprint NZ New Selling Soon
1990 EP81 Starlet XL (Sold)
1990 EE90 Corolla XL (Sold)
Instagram https://www.instagram.com/sw20glimited/

MR2GUY
Club Member - MR2OCNZ
First name: Cameron

Post by MR2GUY »

I've been running the speed source ones for about two years now, can't complain. I daily my MR2. They make my exhaust rattle a little more, but that's because it is missing the middle mount. Just tighten things down and they are fine, though my cars pretty loud and obnoxious anyway. And hey if things break then you just replace and upgrade right, make sure they never break again

mickeyduck
Life Member - MR2OCNZ
First name: Charlie

Post by mickeyduck »

MR2GUY wrote:I've been running the speed source ones for about two years now, can't complain. I daily my MR2. They make my exhaust rattle a little more, but that's because it is missing the middle mount. Just tighten things down and they are fine, though my cars pretty loud and obnoxious anyway. And hey if things break then you just replace and upgrade right, make sure they never break again
Nice to hear you seem to be onto a good source of inserts there Cam. 8)

I'm going for nice soft stuff though as the race grade mounts and suspension in my red SW have cost me far too much time off the road due to breakages resulting from the car being on the road (as opposed to a track or drag strip). :roll:

Scored some 44 Shore hardness urethane today from https://www.fibreglassshop.co.nz/pages/contact-us to rebuild our AW SC mounts.

Will make them solid, no holes. Should be interesting. I want to see if soft urethane can make durable solid mounts that are easy on the chassis and vibration free. Won't know the outcome for a while of course. But you can rest assured they will be torture tested just about as much as an AW's mounts can be... :twisted: Mu ha ha...!

And if they fail I'd rather they did so than have the chassis crack. Can always rebuild them with firmer urethane if it doesn't hold up. But if it does hold up, AWesome. :mrgreen:

We'll see...
IMG_2988.JPG
#8^) Charlie the certified Westie
Retired - President 2012 - 2018
Retired - Committee Member 2009 - 2018
Retired - Auckland Area Coordinator 2009 - 2018
Retired - Webmaster, Forum Host & Admin 2010 - 2018 - Now it's mknz

Financial Club Member since 2004 and thanks to *84vvt and co-conspirators, Life Member since April 2017 8)
100+ MR2OCNZ runs and counting... When going hard, good rubber's your best protection against unwanted accidents. Buy good tyres!
When you're nearing the end of the drag-strip and you have no 'chute, you may as well keep your foot to the floor... Live life. There ain't no second pass. :twisted:

mickeyduck
Life Member - MR2OCNZ

Post by mickeyduck »

Right then. 44A Shore hardness urethane turns out to be WAY too soft for engine mounts.

http://mr2.org.nz/phpbb3/viewtopic.php?p=137117#p137117

But it is perfect for making moulds. So we might use it for that, and cast ourselves a bunch of inserts from harder stuff instead. Might try 60 grade first and see how that goes.

Also, it seems urethane doesn't really want to stick to steel even if it's been cleaned and rarked up. Especially the pins. However Ados F2 glue seems to do ok. But we'll score some "Shoe Goo" off Trademe and try that (as recommended by Matrix Garage). http://www.matrixgarage.com/content/ins ... tor-mounts

Financial Club Member since 2004 and thanks to *84vvt and co-conspirators, Life Member since April 2017 8)
100+ MR2OCNZ runs and counting... When going hard, good rubber's your best protection against unwanted accidents. Buy good tyres!
When you're nearing the end of the drag-strip and you have no 'chute, you may as well keep your foot to the floor... Live life. There ain't no second pass. :twisted:

NzLHD
Club Member - MR2OCNZ
First name: David

Post by NzLHD »

The guy that made the first video posted a followup video about how the mounts are doing... Plus a Detailed comparison.
'86 AW10 2ZZ-GTE

MIKEP
Area Coordinator - MR2OCNZ
First name: Mike

Post by MIKEP »

Hi Charlie

As you know we cast this stuff all the time> Ive attached a handy hardness chart for you that explains shore Hardness . My feeling is that you will need closer to an D70 Hardness which h as the chart says is what skate wheels are made of. Anyway here it is for reference
Attachments
08012018090210-0001 (2).pdf
(483.23 KiB) Downloaded 218 times
86 AW11 S/C,
81 Porsche 924S
02 VW Golf GTI
Minisprint powered by 4AGE 73D
99 ZZW30 Spyder
04 VW Passat V5
04 Mercedes ML270Cdi
90 SW20 N/A
2022 Club President
Auckland AC-Shows,Motorsport

mickeyduck
Life Member - MR2OCNZ

Post by mickeyduck »

D70 Mike? Yoiks! :shock:
Would be great in a race car but hell on a bumpy back road, surely?

Matrix Garage use 80A
And offer them drilled to soften them a bit.

The SpeedSource ones sold by Twos-R-Us are 75A.
I've tried them and consider them too hard.

I'm going to try making some 60A inserts Mike, and if they are too soft then I'll just make some harder replacements.
The old rubber I pulled out of the OEM mounts feels a lot like tyre tread, and they aren't solid either, they have hollow sections so they can flex. So I'm hoping solid 60A inserts work out. We'll see...
ShoreHardnessChart-MP.png
ShoreHardnessChart-MP.png (571.08 KiB) Viewed 6382 times

MIKEP
Area Coordinator - MR2OCNZ
First name: Mike

Post by MIKEP »

Sorry your right Charlie I meant A70. If you can get the cure right and vibrate the part to debubble it then the shear strength is better and it performs a lot better.Anyway good luck.lmjust trying to finish the 3D tool to make some Aw11 eyebrows of some
80 D black
86 AW11 S/C,
81 Porsche 924S
02 VW Golf GTI
Minisprint powered by 4AGE 73D
99 ZZW30 Spyder
04 VW Passat V5
04 Mercedes ML270Cdi
90 SW20 N/A
2022 Club President
Auckland AC-Shows,Motorsport

mickeyduck
Life Member - MR2OCNZ

Post by mickeyduck »

If they work out ok Mike, I'll be into 2 sets of eyebrows mate. Good idea making them from urethane too. Nice and tough.

I wish someone would make new front lips from urethane too. In fact an Aerotech lip made from tough urethane would be AWesome. Somebody, hit them up! :idea:

Barark
Guest of the Club.
Stomping Ground: Taranaki
Prime Mover: SW20
First name: Viv

Post by Barark »

The twos mounts do front and back, and i have found them pretty good, anyone know what i fit into the side mounts?

vrtigo
Club Member - MR2OCNZ
First name: Cameron

Post by vrtigo »

Have had poly mounts in two AW11's, one set of which, at least, came from twosrus. Great upgrade, very happy with them.

The cracked front mount happened to me once. Welded it up, no more problems

The side mounts just take the original OEM inserts, though you can cast your own poly inserts yourself.