Aw11 SC 86 alternator belt

An area for technical topics concerning AW10's and AW11's

Moderator: Moderators

Forum rules
This area is dedicated to technical discussions concerning AW10's and AW11's. Please try to spell correctly because this will help people find information later if they are using search functionality. If you need assistance with your car and want to host a spanner day, please use the appropriate section of the forum: http://mr2.org.nz/phpbb3/viewforum.php?f=35 Thank you.
Adarewyr
Club Member - MR2OCNZ
Stomping Ground: Otago
Prime Mover: AW11
First name: Lachlan

Aw11 SC 86 alternator belt

Post by Adarewyr »

Is someone able to show me some pictures of what I have to undo to loosen the tensioner pulley to get the alternator belt off? Theres one video on YT but I can't work out what hes done

85AW20v
Club Member - MR2OCNZ
Stomping Ground: Bay Of Plenty
First name: Simon

Re: Aw11 SC 86 alternator belt

Post by 85AW20v »

I'm fairly certain you'll need to loosen the nut in the centre of the tensioning pulley which will then allow you to adjust the tension with the bolt head behind the said pulley.
See ya
Simon
AW11 Racecar - 860kg

mickeyduck
Life Member - MR2OCNZ
Stomping Ground: Auckland
Prime Mover: More than one MR2
First name: Charlie

Post by mickeyduck »

First you loosen the nut that is in the centre of the pulley. Don't remove it, just loosen it. Unless you are also replacing the pulley, that is...
(See my Rides thread for details regards replacement pulleys if you need one).

Then you loosen the tensioner bolt that is looking at you from under the car. Once loose, you can push the tensioner pulley up with your hand so the belt goes slack.

These pics are of the supercharger / water pump belt tensioner but the mechanism is the same. Just that the tensioner bolt for the supercharger tensioner is accessed from above the engine (next to the dip-stick), while the tensioner bolt for the alternator belt is accessed from under the car.

Also, I removed the aircon from my AW as the aircon compressor just gets in the way if you need to access the oil filter or alternator. And I never use the aircon anyway (tend to take the lids off instead).

First pic you can see the nut in the centre of the pulley.
Second pic without the pulley you can see the tensioner bolt, and you can see how it passes through the pulley's mounting spindle.
DSCF6800.JPG
DSCF6798.JPG
The trickiest part of the whole operation is getting a suitable 14mm socket or spanner on the nut in the centre of the pulley. There's not a lot of space between it and the chassis rail. I bought a funny socket with a hex outer on the drive end (designed so you can put a ring spanner on it). I then carved it down short enough to fit in there easily. So I pop it on the nut, then put a 19mm spanner on it to crack it off. But that's just how I do it, you might have a tool for the job already...
DSCF6802.JPG
If you are doing the alternator belt, do the supercharger belt too. And frankly it'd be wise to also replace the pulleys if you still have the OEM ones on there (see my Rides thread for details).

When tightening the tensioner bolts, just nip them up as if you were turning off a tap in the bathroom, and maybe give it a 1/2 turn after that. If the supercharger belt squeals under acceleration you'd want to tighten the tensioner bolt maybe a quarter or a half a turn at a time until the squealing goes away. Any tighter than that and you'll naff your water pump which will make it leak, and replacing that with the engine in the car, while do-able, is a PITA (done a few).

Be sure to do the nut in the centre of the pulley up nice and tight after you're done with the tensioner bolt! Otherwise the pulley might fall off and you'll throw the belt.

Enjoy that AW, Lachlan! AWesome cars eh. :)
#8^) Charlie the certified Westie
Retired - President 2012 - 2018
Retired - Committee Member 2009 - 2018
Retired - Auckland Area Coordinator 2009 - 2018
Retired - Webmaster, Forum Host & Admin 2010 - 2018 - Now it's mknz

Financial Club Member since 2004 and thanks to *84vvt and co-conspirators, Life Member since April 2017 8)
100+ MR2OCNZ runs and counting... When going hard, good rubber's your best protection against unwanted accidents. Buy good tyres!
When you're nearing the end of the drag-strip and you have no 'chute, you may as well keep your foot to the floor... Live life. There ain't no second pass. :twisted:

MR2GUY
Club Member - MR2OCNZ
First name: Cameron

Post by MR2GUY »

Invest in a double ring flat spanner in 14mm, one of the best tools I purchased for working on Toyota belts and pulleys
https://trademe.co.nz/1473266117
8)

Adarewyr
Club Member - MR2OCNZ

Post by Adarewyr »

I have it off and Toyota can't seem to find me the right belt, even with the old belt in there hands, so they want my chassis Code, and the letters that should be on th end of it. My little plate with those details has been painted over, and in removing the paint I can't read the full thing properly, anyone know roughly what those letters might look like so I can piece it together? It's been over a week since I've had my mr2 :'(

MIKEP
Area Coordinator - MR2OCNZ
First name: Mike

Post by MIKEP »

Do a Carjam www.carjam.co.nz enter your rego and chassis number will be there
86 AW11 S/C,
81 Porsche 924S
02 VW Golf GTI
Minisprint powered by 4AGE 73D
99 ZZW30 Spyder
04 VW Passat V5
04 Mercedes ML270Cdi
90 SW20 N/A
2022 Club President
Auckland AC-Shows,Motorsport

MR2GUY
Club Member - MR2OCNZ

Post by MR2GUY »

factory Supercharged as follows:
AW11-WCMQR (manual hardtop)
AW11-WCPQR (auto hardtop)
AW11-WJMQR (manual T-top)
AW11-WJPQR (Auto T-top)

mknz
Site Admin - MR2OCNZ
First name: Michael

Post by mknz »

Almost any parts store would get you another and if you request specific brands you'll get OE quality

Adarewyr
Club Member - MR2OCNZ

Post by Adarewyr »

The OEM toyota belts don't fit my car for some unknown reason, and are significantly smaller than what my current belt was.... Got a new belt that fit but was the wrong teeth pattern, and it's split itself

Now the old belt won't fit at all, and I have no idea what to do.... Someone please help, somethings moved and now the whole belt thing is so much tighter without any room for more adjustment

MR2GUY
Club Member - MR2OCNZ

Post by MR2GUY »

Could you get a photo of your crank pulley?

Adarewyr
Club Member - MR2OCNZ

Post by Adarewyr »

I'll get a picture of it now, although I have a belt that fits snug. Only problem now is the pulley bolt is stripped and won't seem to take a nut.... :'(

g-lo
Club Member - MR2OCNZ
First name: graeme

Post by g-lo »

Are you in Dunedin? If so I can see if I can clean the thread for you.