1985 nz new Aw11 pre facelift using post facelift parts

An area for technical topics concerning AW10's and AW11's

Moderator: Moderators

Forum rules
This area is dedicated to technical discussions concerning AW10's and AW11's. Please try to spell correctly because this will help people find information later if they are using search functionality. If you need assistance with your car and want to host a spanner day, please use the appropriate section of the forum: http://mr2.org.nz/phpbb3/viewforum.php?f=35 Thank you.
MrMocket
Club Member - MR2OCNZ
Stomping Ground: Waikato
Prime Mover: AW11
First name: Colin

1985 nz new Aw11 pre facelift using post facelift parts

Post by MrMocket »

Hey this might be a silly question, can a 1989 front bumper fit on a 1985 nz new aw11.
I got my mr2 a few years back and found out that the front bumper has been bogged to shit so the paint keeps cracking. Found a late model mr2 on Trademe that's being parted out so wondering if I could use that for the front?

mickeyduck
Life Member - MR2OCNZ
Stomping Ground: Auckland
Prime Mover: More than one MR2
First name: Charlie

Re: 1985 nz new Aw11 pre facelift using post facelift parts

Post by mickeyduck »

Interesting question. Don't think it's been asked before.

Can't answer it definitively as have never tried swapping between the two. But I think the front bumper should be swappable. As far as I can tell (having owned both types but not swapped bits around) the front bumper, lip and valance (the thing the lip attaches to) and the plastic grille are different. Pretty sure the guards are the same.

But hey if I'm wrong and you score it and it doesn't work out, please post here to say so to prevent others wasting their time and money. :wink:
#8^) Charlie the certified Westie
Retired - President 2012 - 2018
Retired - Committee Member 2009 - 2018
Retired - Auckland Area Coordinator 2009 - 2018
Retired - Webmaster, Forum Host & Admin 2010 - 2018 - Now it's mknz

Financial Club Member since 2004 and thanks to *84vvt and co-conspirators, Life Member since April 2017 8)
100+ MR2OCNZ runs and counting... When going hard, good rubber's your best protection against unwanted accidents. Buy good tyres!
When you're nearing the end of the drag-strip and you have no 'chute, you may as well keep your foot to the floor... Live life. There ain't no second pass. :twisted:

MrMocket
Club Member - MR2OCNZ

Post by MrMocket »

Haha thanks heaps for your reply. Yeah I've been on the forum for a while now due to having a 85 aw11 for about 3 years now but finally getting my ass into gear and getting it into 100% order.

Will let you know. I have been thinking of using a rubber filler for the front bumper I have and pulling out the bog that someone did on it... just bad as the nose paint just cracks, rubber bumper and bog dosn t mix kids haha.

Apparently there is a rubber filler you can use and paint sticks to it. Just have to be good at shaping the rubber filler.

Is there any other whys to fix the front nose... like getting a brand new.front bumper made?

mknz
Site Admin - MR2OCNZ
First name: Michael

Post by mknz »

MrMocket wrote:Haha thanks heaps for your reply. Yeah I've been on the forum for a while now due to having a 85 aw11 for about 3 years now but finally getting my ass into gear and getting it into 100% order.

Will let you know. I have been thinking of using a rubber filler for the front bumper I have and pulling out the bog that someone did on it... just bad as the nose paint just cracks, rubber bumper and bog dosn t mix kids haha.

Apparently there is a rubber filler you can use and paint sticks to it. Just have to be good at shaping the rubber filler.

Is there any other whys to fix the front nose... like getting a brand new.front bumper made?
Story of my life :mrgreen:

You can try the rubber plasti-dip paint (comes off easily if you use enough of it), it's only glossy if you use another can on top of it but it's a lot easier to fix and it shouldn't crack

MrMocket
Club Member - MR2OCNZ

Post by MrMocket »

mknz wrote:
MrMocket wrote:Haha thanks heaps for your reply. Yeah I've been on the forum for a while now due to having a 85 aw11 for about 3 years now but finally getting my ass into gear and getting it into 100% order.

Story of my life :mrgreen:

You can try the rubber plasti-dip paint (comes off easily if you use enough of it), it's only glossy if you use another can on top of it but it's a lot easier to fix and it shouldn't crack
O yeah i never thought of that. thanks I might try that. Would it be hard to match colours with that stuff?

mknz
Site Admin - MR2OCNZ

Post by mknz »

MrMocket wrote:O yeah i never thought of that. thanks I might try that. Would it be hard to match colours with that stuff?
Yeah like any paint it'll probably be close but not perfect (unless you get colour matched) but if you go black/grey/white it goes with anything. If it makes you feel better I have 50 shades of white :P

MrMocket
Club Member - MR2OCNZ

Post by MrMocket »

mknz wrote:
MrMocket wrote:O yeah i never thought of that. thanks I might try that. Would it be hard to match colours with that stuff?
Yeah like any paint it'll probably be close but not perfect (unless you get colour matched) but if you go black/grey/white it goes with anything. If it makes you feel better I have 50 shades of white :P
hahaha, good to know. Yeah i have a silver Original paint job still mint so may just take a look at the grey and see how it goes. thanks for your help :)
I would post a photo but im new to this Whole forum thing haha

MrMocket
Club Member - MR2OCNZ

Post by MrMocket »

there we go found how to upload a photo haha

mknz
Site Admin - MR2OCNZ

Post by mknz »

Try link up paints, they do colour matched regular paint at about 25$ I think which is basically the same as plasti-dip

Statek
Club Member - MR2OCNZ
Prime Mover: Looking for an MR2
First name: Kris

Post by Statek »

http://mr2.org.nz/phpbb3/viewtopic.php? ... 18#p101964

Last few pictures in that particular post talk about fitting the Mk1b front bumper onto my Mk1a.

From the post: "...only a few mounts needed to be made up for the lower fascia, as they had different mounting points to the bumper."

NOTE: Matt later tried fitting the Mk1b bumper skin onto the Mk1a foam insert and it was a no-go. There's another post around where he tried this.

Parts I used: Mk1b bumper skin, foam insert and bumper iron, Mk1a lower fascia (with slightly modified attachment points).
1986 Toyota MR2 AW11 20v ST - SOLD

MrMocket
Club Member - MR2OCNZ

Post by MrMocket »

Statek wrote:http://mr2.org.nz/phpbb3/viewtopic.php? ... 18#p101964

Last few pictures in that particular post talk about fitting the Mk1b front bumper onto my Mk1a.

From the post: "...only a few mounts needed to be made up for the lower fascia, as they had different mounting points to the bumper."

NOTE: Matt later tried fitting the Mk1b bumper skin onto the Mk1a foam insert and it was a no-go. There's another post around where he tried this.

Parts I used: Mk1b bumper skin, foam insert and bumper iron, Mk1a lower fascia (with slightly modified attachment points).
Thanks I will take a look and have a read. How can you tell if you have a MK1a or MK1b.... I thought the MK1a came out with no spoiler?
Mine has a factory Spoiler on it so would that mean mine is a MK1b or because its a NZ new version is it a hybrid of A and B?

MIKEP
Area Coordinator - MR2OCNZ
First name: Mike

Post by MIKEP »

http://mk1mr2.webs.com/mk1amk1bdifferences.htm

Heres a link to the best page on it. Many guys will tell you different things but having owned both this is pretty good.

Also don't be so sure the NZ ones had no spoilers. Some were AW10s and people who saw them naturally assumed they we AW11.

Hope this shelps
86 AW11 S/C,
81 Porsche 924S
02 VW Golf GTI
Minisprint powered by 4AGE 73D
99 ZZW30 Spyder
04 VW Passat V5
04 Mercedes ML270Cdi
90 SW20 N/A
2022 Club President
Auckland AC-Shows,Motorsport

MrMocket
Club Member - MR2OCNZ

Post by MrMocket »

MIKEP wrote:http://mk1mr2.webs.com/mk1amk1bdifferences.htm

Heres a link to the best page on it. Many guys will tell you different things but having owned both this is pretty good.

Also don't be so sure the NZ ones had no spoilers. Some were AW10s and people who saw them naturally assumed they we AW11.

Hope this shelps
That has already helped heaps... I have a MK1a I got to about the aerial and was like yip... MK1a haha.

MrMocket
Club Member - MR2OCNZ

Post by MrMocket »

That site any good to get parts off?

MIKEP
Area Coordinator - MR2OCNZ
First name: Mike

Post by MIKEP »

With the U.K. exchange rate it is expensive and there are other sites around.Some parts are available here o or from club members.

What do you need
86 AW11 S/C,
81 Porsche 924S
02 VW Golf GTI
Minisprint powered by 4AGE 73D
99 ZZW30 Spyder
04 VW Passat V5
04 Mercedes ML270Cdi
90 SW20 N/A
2022 Club President
Auckland AC-Shows,Motorsport