Axle stands

An area for technical topics concerning AW10's and AW11's

Moderator: Moderators

Forum rules
This area is dedicated to technical discussions concerning AW10's and AW11's. Please try to spell correctly because this will help people find information later if they are using search functionality. If you need assistance with your car and want to host a spanner day, please use the appropriate section of the forum: http://mr2.org.nz/phpbb3/viewforum.php?f=35 Thank you.
MrMocket
Club Member - MR2OCNZ
Stomping Ground: Waikato
Prime Mover: AW11
First name: Colin

Axle stands

Post by MrMocket »

Okay so... now that I'm trying to learn to do things for myself... what are the best axle stands I can get for value of money or will any kind do?

mknz
Site Admin - MR2OCNZ
Stomping Ground: Auckland
Prime Mover: More than one MR2
First name: Michael

Re: Axle stands

Post by mknz »

MrMocket wrote:Okay so... now that I'm trying to learn to do things for myself... what are the best axle stands I can get for value of money or will any kind do?
How high can your jack go? Do you have spare pieces of wood? I prefer the triangle base rather than the plate base but they tend to have a higher minimum setting. Buy when they're on special but please use them. I've seen jacks collapse and you don't want to be under the car.

MrMocket
Club Member - MR2OCNZ

Post by MrMocket »

mknz wrote:
MrMocket wrote:Okay so... now that I'm trying to learn to do things for myself... what are the best axle stands I can get for value of money or will any kind do?
How high can your jack go? Do you have spare pieces of wood? I prefer the triangle base rather than the plate base but they tend to have a higher minimum setting. Buy when they're on special but please use them. I've seen jacks collapse and you don't want to be under the car.
Just the orginal jack from 1985 that came with it. Mainly to change over wheels really. and to start learning how to do my own service and stuff.

MrMocket
Club Member - MR2OCNZ

Post by MrMocket »

FYI like Im kinda noob I've never put a car on axle stands haha learning as I go.

MrMocket
Club Member - MR2OCNZ

Post by MrMocket »

mknz
Site Admin - MR2OCNZ
Stomping Ground: Auckland
Prime Mover: More than one MR2
First name: Michael

Post by mknz »

Grab either the 3ton ratcheting or 6ton pin screw, get a floor jack that can go past 500mm and 4-6 wooden blocks. Having an AW you probably want one for low cars to lift the front end up.

Wooden blocks are great because when wood is used past its maximum compression it just squishes slowly while making a sound. Great to stop the wheels from turning, get some extra lift out of a jack, use them to support the car in a pinch on the side of the road etc.

MrMocket
Club Member - MR2OCNZ

Post by MrMocket »

mknz wrote:Grab either the 3ton ratcheting or 6ton pin screw, get a floor jack that can go past 500mm and 4-6 wooden blocks. Having an AW you probably want one for low cars to lift the front end up.

Wooden blocks are great because when wood is used past its maximum compression it just squishes slowly while making a sound. Great to stop the wheels from turning, get some extra lift out of a jack, use them to support the car in a pinch on the side of the road etc.
Wicked thanks heaps. Just going to be changing the wheels over to begin with. but got to start somewhere haha