Issue in the front wheels

An area for technical topics concerning AW10's and AW11's

Moderator: Moderators

Forum rules
This area is dedicated to technical discussions concerning AW10's and AW11's. Please try to spell correctly because this will help people find information later if they are using search functionality. If you need assistance with your car and want to host a spanner day, please use the appropriate section of the forum: http://mr2.org.nz/phpbb3/viewforum.php?f=35 Thank you.
Benckj
Forum Moderator - MR2OCNZ
Stomping Ground: Otago
Prime Mover: More than one MR2
First name: Jim

Re: Issue in the front wheels

Post by Benckj »

My issue with alignments is that the people doing the work are often not qualified to what I'd consider a technician role. They simply follow the computer prompts and adjust to factory spec. Unless a fault is very obvious (ie cannot get repeatable results) then they plug and chug the numbers. This is why I bring my own set points and discuss with the Alignment Tech before booking my car.
Jim Benck
90 rev 1 parts car
98 rev 5 GT- all the mods

Barark
Guest of the Club.
Stomping Ground: Taranaki
Prime Mover: SW20
First name: Viv

Post by Barark »

mickeyduck wrote:
Barark wrote:The only thing they said was it was at max castor and could not be adjusted forward anymore...
Sounds to me as if they have applied a totally incorrect wheel alignment Viv. Either that or the suspension has been put back together in a bad way, or things not tightened up properly.

That's what I thought too, I hate moving across the country, you lose so much valuable people. I might go into Toyota new Plymouth and see if I can talk with the mechanic there, im losing confidence in my local mechanics now that im up to 1300$$$ and not fixed the problem....

I have been over the work that's been done, everything is tight, only thing I can doubt is alignment. otherwise I have to play with the steering rack or rear setup

Statek
Club Member - MR2OCNZ
Stomping Ground: Auckland
Prime Mover: Looking for an MR2
First name: Kris

Post by Statek »

Benckj wrote:My issue with alignments is that the people doing the work are often not qualified to what I'd consider a technician role. They simply follow the computer prompts and adjust to factory spec. Unless a fault is very obvious (ie cannot get repeatable results) then they plug and chug the numbers. This is why I bring my own set points and discuss with the Alignment Tech before booking my car.
A lot of wheel alignment shops will not even put the car on a hoist to check for any suspension defects. Cars get driven onto a wheel alignment machine and any issues only noticed if specs are hard to achieve.
Like a factory, in and out as quickly as possible.

It's definitely worth finding a trusty mechanic/tyre shop - they may charge more, but you get what you pay for, right?
1986 Toyota MR2 AW11 20v ST - SOLD

Barark
Guest of the Club.

Post by Barark »

UPDATE

Got a second opinion last week, took the mechanic next door to work 30mins to tell me to not get back in the car.
ISSUES FOUND
- Left spring installed upside down ( I didn't notice this how embarrassing, but not as embarrassed as the mechanic who installed the shocks/springs)
- Right shock not locked into top hat
- Front right bearing lots of play
- Rear left tie rod is shot

I am so angry at the local mechanic that got me to replace shock and springs and sway links, and didn't even pick up play in bearing or tie rod...... I have fired him.

mknz
Site Admin - MR2OCNZ
Stomping Ground: Auckland
Prime Mover: More than one MR2
First name: Michael

Post by mknz »

Barark wrote:UPDATE

Got a second opinion last week, took the mechanic next door to work 30mins to tell me to not get back in the car.
ISSUES FOUND
- Left spring installed upside down ( I didn't notice this how embarrassing, but not as embarrassed as the mechanic who installed the shocks/springs)
- Right shock not locked into top hat
- Front right bearing lots of play
- Rear left tie rod is shot

I am so angry at the local mechanic that got me to replace shock and springs and sway links, and didn't even pick up play in bearing or tie rod...... I have fired him.
:shock: It may not be worth it because of the frustration, but I'd try to prove a point by taking them to the disputes tribunal, that's either extreme stupidity or negligence. Either way, they shouldn't be touching cars especially if you described the loss control to them nor should you be paying so much when they didn't check the front wheel bearings which should have been the second thing to check after the tie rod ends.

Barark
Guest of the Club.

Post by Barark »

you are correct, not only am I $1700 short, I have lost a heap of wife karma. Car could be getting taken off the road