The long road to V6 turbo AW11

Want a thread dedicated to your car?
Got a seriously pimped-out ride? Building an extreme performance MR2? Post here!

Moderator: Moderators

Forum rules
This section of the forum is a great resource if you're looking for ideas, and it's a cool way of obtaining technical information that may otherwise not have been posted. (Members can use the Search functionality at top right of the forum to speed up finding things) Please respect others' contributions and don't diss anyone - keep comments helpful, factual, positive and polite. One thread per vehicle or owner please - don't start lots of threads about just one car. And if you need assistance with your car and want to host a spanner day, please use the appropriate section of the forum: http://mr2.org.nz/phpbb3/viewforum.php?f=35 Thank you.
Mr-Paulio
Area Coordinator - MR2OCNZ
Stomping Ground: Auckland
Prime Mover: AW11
First name: Paul

Re: The long road to V6 turbo Aw11

Post by Mr-Paulio »

mickeyduck wrote:Do you find the wall-mounted engine stand makes it easier to work on things Paul? :wink:
Wall mounted stand? Is that because of the timber underneath it looks like that? :lol:
Its a normal steel engine stand. I just have the sump removed and the timber fixed to the block either side for transporting it in the back of my ute. This protects the crank, and keeps the bottom surface flat so the engine doesn't tip over in transit. :D
'89 AW11 V6 Turbo (350BHP & 380Ft/lbs!) :twisted:
'86 AW11 20V (Sold) :(
'91 SW20 Turbo "BlackRat" #RatRodStyle (Sold) :(
'91 SW20 Turbo (Sold) :(
South Auckland Area Coordinator

85AW20v
Club Member - MR2OCNZ
Stomping Ground: Bay Of Plenty
First name: Simon

Post by 85AW20v »

Mr-Paulio wrote:
mickeyduck wrote:Do you find the wall-mounted engine stand makes it easier to work on things Paul? :wink:
Wall mounted stand? Is that because of the timber underneath it looks like that? :lol:
Its a normal steel engine stand. I just have the sump removed and the timber fixed to the block either side for transporting it in the back of my ute. This protects the crank, and keeps the bottom surface flat so the engine doesn't tip over in transit. :D
I know what Charlie means!! I took a second look. It just looks like it could be wall mounted as your picture is sideways......
See ya
Simon
AW11 Racecar - 860kg

Mr-Paulio

Post by Mr-Paulio »

85AW20v wrote:I know what Charlie means!! I took a second look. It just looks like it could be wall mounted as your picture is sideways......
I'm not sure what happened there. And I think this has happened before with uploading some pictures. They are the right way up in my phone? And if you click on the picture it loads full screen the right way? Very odd!

mickeyduck
Life Member - MR2OCNZ
Prime Mover: More than one MR2
First name: Charlie

Post by mickeyduck »

85AW20v wrote:I know what Charlie means!! ...your picture is sideways......
That's the one. :lol:

My iPhone does the same thing Paul, sometimes they even come out upside down. The trick is to re-save the pics before posting them. I simply open them on my computer, make a tiny change like upping the sharpness or contrast by the tiniest amount (just enough to make the file "change" is all that's required) and then save the changes before uploading to the forum. That way your engine stand will always be a regular one on the workshop floor instead of a wall-mounted job.
#8^) Charlie the certified Westie
Retired - President 2012 - 2018
Retired - Committee Member 2009 - 2018
Retired - Auckland Area Coordinator 2009 - 2018
Retired - Webmaster, Forum Host & Admin 2010 - 2018 - Now it's mknz

Financial Club Member since 2004 and thanks to *84vvt and co-conspirators, Life Member since April 2017 8)
100+ MR2OCNZ runs and counting... When going hard, good rubber's your best protection against unwanted accidents. Buy good tyres!
When you're nearing the end of the drag-strip and you have no 'chute, you may as well keep your foot to the floor... Live life. There ain't no second pass. :twisted:

Mr-Paulio

Post by Mr-Paulio »

mickeyduck wrote:That way your engine stand will always be a regular one on the workshop floor instead of a wall-mounted job.
And finally I actually get the comment! :lol:

85AW20v
Club Member - MR2OCNZ
Stomping Ground: Bay Of Plenty
First name: Simon

Post by 85AW20v »

Seeing as it's Christmas and you've no doubt had other things on your mind, we'll give you some leeway on "finally actually getting the comment"!! :D :mrgreen:
See ya
Simon
AW11 Racecar - 860kg

Mr-Paulio

Post by Mr-Paulio »

I've hit a wall lately...
But finally got myself motivated for a few hours today to do this job I have been dreading!
Rear main seal....
Rear main seal....
I'm not sure why?
I guess it's just taking the engine off the stand and putting it back again.
Hopefully I am over the hump now anyway and can get some more done in my last week of holidays.... :D

Mr-Paulio

Post by Mr-Paulio »

While I wait for my friend to come visit and help me fab the turbo manifolds... I made a thing.
20190109_103554.jpg
20190109_103609.jpg
20190110_143940.jpg
20190110_143221.jpg
Something he can also weld for me....
Bugger paying $130NZD + freight from the states for a peice of steel! I made this of 6mm which is probably a bit over kill. But I had heaps left over from buying a full length for my mounts.
I'm lucky this mount hasn't torn out of the frame as it is with the V6. As it happens with the standard 145hp. And I will certainly need it for the turbo V6!

I also looked at mounting my heat exchanger for the water to air set up.
20190110_160058.jpg
Not guna happen! I then considered in the back, or boot. But I really want a front mount. It will look nicer, I don't have to cut up the body, it will work better, and more weight transferred to the front. Also since I dont have heat or AC I can modify the stock heater hard lines for the water. So back to the drawing board!

Mr-Paulio

Post by Mr-Paulio »

That's better!
20190117_100308.jpg

Mr-Paulio

Post by Mr-Paulio »

Sh!+$ getting a bit more serious now....
Out with the old
Out with the old
Man I love my hoist!! :lol:
In with the new... (soon)
In with the new... (soon)
Few more red bits on the new engine....
Flanges
Flanges
Flanges cut for the turbo exhaust fab....
Whoops!!
Whoops!!
I pulled the LH head off to see if it was obvious why the middle cylinder has real low compression. It wasn't, but this cylinder next to it may have been the cause of the smoke.... hmmm...
Once we have finished using this block for fab I'll tear down the bottom end and have a better look at the rings.
:( :(
:( :(
I am also starting to come to terms with the fact that I will have to pay the moon beams people ask for, for a LSD E153 box. The open diff is going to struggle putting this power to the road. And I may as well start the hunt now. So if you can help, And you are not after all the moon beams. Hit me up!
Cheers :D :D

mknz
Site Admin - MR2OCNZ
Prime Mover: More than one MR2
First name: Michael

Post by mknz »

Buy a regular E153 and buy a diff. But I do have the stub to turn non LSD axles into LSD axles

GDII
Forum Moderator - MR2OCNZ
Stomping Ground: Wellington
Prime Mover: SW20
First name: Phill

Post by GDII »

mknz wrote:Buy a regular E153 and buy a diff. But I do have the stub to turn non LSD axles into LSD axles
Yeah what Michael said. The OEM LSD is junk anyway. You are better off getting a TRD, CUSCO or KAAZ or even a Quaife ATB Helical. They do act different to the plate diffs, cost a bit more but never wear out or clunk.
1990 SW20 MR2 G-Limited (GEN4 3SGTE Installed)
2000 AE111R Corolla Wagon NZ New Daily
1996 AE101R Corolla Sprint NZ New Selling Soon
1990 EP81 Starlet XL (Sold)
1990 EE90 Corolla XL (Sold)
Instagram https://www.instagram.com/sw20glimited/

Mr-Paulio

Post by Mr-Paulio »

mknz wrote:Buy a regular E153 and buy a diff. But I do have the stub to turn non LSD axles into LSD axles
Where have you seen just the diff for sale? (I have a E153 already, just open diff) The LSD diff only I've seen for sale were even more moon beams! (new)
Axle stubs is a whole nother drama! I think I can use the passenger side stub. But not the drivers as it's way too long. But I'll figure that out later.....

Mr-Paulio

Post by Mr-Paulio »

GDII wrote:
Yeah what Michael said. The OEM LSD is junk anyway. You are better off getting a TRD, CUSCO or KAAZ or even a Quaife ATB Helical. They do act different to the plate diffs, cost a bit more but never wear out or clunk.
Sounds good (depending on cost) Where do I look? I see some after market LSD's still use the non-LSD axles as well? This would be ideal for me as my axles are already hybrids to fit the E153 to AW11! Any idea what LSD's those are??

GDII
Forum Moderator - MR2OCNZ
Stomping Ground: Wellington
Prime Mover: SW20
First name: Phill

Post by GDII »

Mr-Paulio wrote:
Where have you seen just the diff for sale? (I have a E153 already, just open diff) The LSD diff only I've seen for sale were even more moon beams! (new)
Axle stubs is a whole nother drama! I think I can use the passenger side stub. But not the drivers as it's way too long. But I'll figure that out later.....
Used aftermarket LSDs don't seem to pop up for sale, even in Japan. Mostly new or a TRD in an E153 as a package. If you are going to the effort of wanting an LSD for this setup you don't really want to get the OEM unit. Once it gets hot it stops working, that's even if it even did anything when the gearbox is cold. It uses the gearbox oil as the viscous fluid, it's not a sealed unit like proper viscous LSDs. Better off getting a proper LSD and doing it right the first time. That way you can use the non-LSD axles and the blue speedo ring gear off the open diff and it will just work.
Mr-Paulio wrote:
GDII wrote:
Sounds good (depending on cost) Where do I look? I see some after market LSD's still use the non-LSD axles as well? This would be ideal for me as my axles are already hybrids to fit the E153 to AW11! Any idea what LSD's those are??
Costs are usually $1100ish to $1300 plus install and other parts that need replaced if required.
Yahoo Japan has new but I'm sure places like Moonlight Racing, 41.co.nz, maybe trademe or other importers can get these for you. Or buy online.

TRD, only used but can still buy wear parts. Clutch type with 1, 1.5 and 2 way configurations.
CUSCO Type RS or MZ. Clutch type with 1, 1.5 and 2 way configurations.
KAAZ. Clutch type with 1.5 configuration.
Quaife. Helical sort of like the AE111 LSD. They work really well unless you lift a wheel. Then they act like an open diff. The way around this is to learn to tap the brake during a wheel lift event and it will lock the diff and work again.

1.5 way Best for the road and even track use. 2 way is too aggressive and will force the car to oversteer under deceleration. 1 way is good but only works under acceleration.
1990 SW20 MR2 G-Limited (GEN4 3SGTE Installed)
2000 AE111R Corolla Wagon NZ New Daily
1996 AE101R Corolla Sprint NZ New Selling Soon
1990 EP81 Starlet XL (Sold)
1990 EE90 Corolla XL (Sold)
Instagram https://www.instagram.com/sw20glimited/