The long road to V6 turbo AW11

Want a thread dedicated to your car?
Got a seriously pimped-out ride? Building an extreme performance MR2? Post here!

Moderator: Moderators

Forum rules
This section of the forum is a great resource if you're looking for ideas, and it's a cool way of obtaining technical information that may otherwise not have been posted. (Members can use the Search functionality at top right of the forum to speed up finding things) Please respect others' contributions and don't diss anyone - keep comments helpful, factual, positive and polite. One thread per vehicle or owner please - don't start lots of threads about just one car. And if you need assistance with your car and want to host a spanner day, please use the appropriate section of the forum: http://mr2.org.nz/phpbb3/viewforum.php?f=35 Thank you.
Alsw20
Club Member - MR2OCNZ
Stomping Ground: Christchurch
Prime Mover: SW20
First name: Al

Re: The long road to V6 turbo Aw11

Post by Alsw20 »

Have you seen the MCM episode on the supercharged and turbocharged MX5s?

It’s worth a watch . https://youtu.be/l0NMCMcdVp4

mknz
Site Admin - MR2OCNZ
Stomping Ground: Auckland
Prime Mover: More than one MR2
First name: Michael

Post by mknz »

Alsw20 wrote:Have you seen the MCM episode on the supercharged and turbocharged MX5s?

It’s worth a watch . https://youtu.be/l0NMCMcdVp4
Of course, I have, several things though:
  • I think you mean to refer to part III https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mZ4EiKsoMzg
  • The turbo and supercharger have very similar power curves but just offset, see below
  • By their own admission, they're not using larger pulleys or compressor then boost controlling, they've sized for equal peak boost
  • The supercharged car has a smaller exhaust system
  • Once again, I agree that you won't get the same magnitude of positive feedback as a turbocharger (different drive forms), however, both have centrifugal compressors which posses the same qualities

Gleshlich
Club Member - MR2OCNZ
Stomping Ground: Wellington
First name: Justin

Post by Gleshlich »

Also don't forget that you can use a "wastegate" of sorts to bleed excess boost from a supercharger. This will give very similar boost curves to a turbo
Current:
1989 V6 Widebody SW
1996 EK Civic Hatch
2007 BMW 335i Touring

mknz
Site Admin - MR2OCNZ

Post by mknz »

Gleshlich wrote:Also don't forget that you can use a "wastegate" of sorts to bleed excess boost from a supercharger. This will give very similar boost curves to a turbo
Exactly, you can use a turbo exhaust gas wastegate. Many use it in twincahrge applications

GDII
Forum Moderator - MR2OCNZ
First name: Phill

Post by GDII »

So you over speed the supercharger to get turbo performance while the supercharger sucks engine performance down low. Sounds like excess wear on the system.
1990 SW20 MR2 G-Limited (GEN4 3SGTE Installed)
2000 AE111R Corolla Wagon NZ New Daily
1996 AE101R Corolla Sprint NZ New Selling Soon
1990 EP81 Starlet XL (Sold)
1990 EE90 Corolla XL (Sold)
Instagram https://www.instagram.com/sw20glimited/

mknz
Site Admin - MR2OCNZ

Post by mknz »

GDII wrote:So you over speed the supercharger to get turbo performance while the supercharger sucks engine performance down low. Sounds like excess wear on the system.
Excellent strawman :P

Forced induction and increasing it causes more wear, do you see me care? :P

You will also get more air into the engine at low speeds though, no different to using a bigger pump or pulleys on the other forms of a supercharger. Using the wastegate with the supercharge gives the same result as with a turbocharger, you can limit the amount of boost.

Just because you spin the supercharger faster does not mean it's going outside of its limit, the data sheet needs to be checked.

EDIT:
Apologies Paul for hijacking, it was a semi-relevant discussion.

Gleshlich
Club Member - MR2OCNZ

Post by Gleshlich »

mknz wrote:
GDII wrote:So you over speed the supercharger to get turbo performance while the supercharger sucks engine performance down low. Sounds like excess wear on the system.
Excellent strawman :P

Forced induction and increasing it causes more wear, do you see me care? :P

You will also get more air into the engine at low speeds though, no different to using a bigger pump or pulleys on the other forms of a supercharger. Using the wastegate with the supercharge gives the same result as with a turbocharger, you can limit the amount of boost.

Just because you spin the supercharger faster does not mean it's going outside of its limit, the data sheet needs to be checked.

EDIT:
Apologies Paul for hijacking, it was a semi-relevant discussion.
This^. Only thing to worry about is the extra heat at higher supercharger speeds. Will probably go water meth or water to air intercooler so should be fine
Current:
1989 V6 Widebody SW
1996 EK Civic Hatch
2007 BMW 335i Touring

Mr-Paulio
Area Coordinator - MR2OCNZ
Prime Mover: AW11
First name: Paul

Post by Mr-Paulio »

Gleshlich wrote: This^. Only thing to worry about is the extra heat at higher supercharger speeds. Will probably go water meth or water to air intercooler so should be fine
(You guys are all good. It's kind of enterianing)
I would imagine heat is worse with a turbo still. Especially engine bay temps in a small engine bay with limited airflow. One of the cons for me. I actually wanted to go SC initially. I think it suits the car better, might make close to original noises! Plus my ideal is low down power and torque. But any of the options I preferred for SC would not fit under a AW11 engine lid. Or even in the bay. Then taking away from the semi "stock" look/sound anyway. And I do believe turbo offers better performance options when done right. So that's where I landed. Of course seeing Ross's build helped! :P
'89 AW11 V6 Turbo (350BHP & 380Ft/lbs!) :twisted:
'86 AW11 20V (Sold) :(
'91 SW20 Turbo "BlackRat" #RatRodStyle (Sold) :(
'91 SW20 Turbo (Sold) :(
South Auckland Area Coordinator

Mr-Paulio

Post by Mr-Paulio »

So, after locking the car away for a few weeks I decided I better see what's going on!
The run down is, I was giving it pure death at Chrome (Hampton Downs) Ringing the crap out of it etc. Came off that track as it seemed a bit Smokey. Found the catch can overflowing and oil all over the bay. Drained it and drove home fine.
Took it on the club run the following week. Still a bit Smokey. To be expected with oil in the header wrap. But it did seem smoke was also coming from the catch can breather. I had my suspicions then, that and the busted oil cooler are the reasons I haven't touched till now.
Compression test!
20180826_132524.jpg
Yup, no surprises. I checked a few times and ran the battery down. Also going overseas in a few days. So further diagnosis may have to wait. I have my torn down engine, and a running Camry. So I have some decisions to make while I am away I guess. Long story short. The long road to the turbo build just got longer! (Or quicker if I get a loan.... :P )

Mr-Paulio

Post by Mr-Paulio »

So, after investigating costs to rebuild a 3VZ, and then later turbo to get the power I want. Seriously considering a 2GR now. Even though I already have 3VZ build parts. And shiny powder coated candy red covers..... :cry:

Gleshlich
Club Member - MR2OCNZ

Post by Gleshlich »

I could be tempted in the 3VZ parts if you go down another route
Current:
1989 V6 Widebody SW
1996 EK Civic Hatch
2007 BMW 335i Touring

Mr-Paulio

Post by Mr-Paulio »

Gleshlich wrote:I could be tempted in the 3VZ parts if you go down another route
Haha, I actually thought of you. Would you be interested on the studs and gaskets? Or the candy red parts also?

Gleshlich
Club Member - MR2OCNZ

Post by Gleshlich »

Mr-Paulio wrote:
Gleshlich wrote:I could be tempted in the 3VZ parts if you go down another route
Haha, I actually thought of you. Would you be interested on the studs and gaskets? Or the candy red parts also?
Yea definitely keen. Let me know how much you want for it
Current:
1989 V6 Widebody SW
1996 EK Civic Hatch
2007 BMW 335i Touring

Mr-Paulio

Post by Mr-Paulio »

Yeah will do. I'm still doing research and haven't committed to anything yet. But it is good to know the goodies will find a nice home and help fund the change over :D

Mr-Paulio

Post by Mr-Paulio »

Howdy again!
So recent further issues with my worn engine have prompted some wear and tear on the wallet plastic....
Jared at Megasquirt NZ has been very helpful.
Also the Camry is looking a bit lighter in the front...
Dropped the spare engine to my mechanic friend who is getting the machining done and fitting the MSL head gaskets and ARP studs to torque.
Also, other things I probably shouldn't have bought as well!
But I feel too old to be rolling around on the cold concrete under a car covered in a mixture of oil, petrol, coolant, blood, sweat and dirt :P

Plus this will be coming in very handy with this and other upcoming projects :D :D