Wheels/Tires/brakes AW11

An area for technical topics concerning AW10's and AW11's

Moderator: Moderators

Forum rules
This area is dedicated to technical discussions concerning AW10's and AW11's. Please try to spell correctly because this will help people find information later if they are using search functionality. If you need assistance with your car and want to host a spanner day, please use the appropriate section of the forum: http://mr2.org.nz/phpbb3/viewforum.php?f=35 Thank you.
Adarewyr
Club Member - MR2OCNZ
Stomping Ground: Otago
Prime Mover: AW11
First name: Lachlan

Wheels/Tires/brakes AW11

Post by Adarewyr »

Hey guys, my 86 sc aw11 has been parked up since about February due to needing new brake rotors, tires and wheels (cracking in the current ones) I was wondering if anyone knew a cheaper alternative to buying new front and rear rotors from Zonelli, and if anyone could help me work out fitment and offset etc for wheels and tires, or even if anyone had a set they no longer require that theyd like to sell

Adarewyr
Club Member - MR2OCNZ

Re: Wheels/Tires/brakes AW11

Post by Adarewyr »

does anyone know is 85 na brakes will bolt onto an 86sc

Speedhog
Club Member - MR2OCNZ
Stomping Ground: Auckland
Prime Mover: More than one MR2
First name: Rodney

Post by Speedhog »

Adarewyr wrote:Hey guys, my 86 sc aw11 has been parked up since about February due to needing new brake rotors, tires and wheels (cracking in the current ones) I was wondering if anyone knew a cheaper alternative to buying new front and rear rotors from Zonelli, and if anyone could help me work out fitment and offset etc for wheels and tires, or even if anyone had a set they no longer require that theyd like to sell
Where have you tried so far?

g-lo
Club Member - MR2OCNZ
First name: graeme

Post by g-lo »

If you are in Dunedin, I can probably find you some new rotors at trade price- bnt or appco. I probably have secondhand discs that are ok as well if you wanted to skim them. Are your rotors unmachinable?

Adarewyr
Club Member - MR2OCNZ

Post by Adarewyr »

Im probably going to sound stupid, but my brother is a mechanic and him and the mechanic I took my car to said they couldn't find rear rotors anywhere. This could also be completely wrong, because its been so long since it happened but I thought my rotors were too narrow to pass a warrant. Can they add mass to the rotors?

Adarewyr
Club Member - MR2OCNZ

Post by Adarewyr »

And I believe I lost the hardware to my front brakes so I'm going to try get a full replacement of those from a guy on trademe to sort the front end out. Any advice would be great though, my care knowledge is questionable

mickeyduck
Life Member - MR2OCNZ
Prime Mover: More than one MR2
First name: Charlie

Post by mickeyduck »

OK so supercharger brakes are bigger than NA ones I think (feel free to contradict me anyone) but I'm pretty sure that's the case.

You can't have rotors "built up" but you can get them machined / skimmed if they have bad gouges in them (circular grooves). If they get too thin from too much wear then they would be binnable. Wear tolerances etc are in the BGB which you can download from the stickied tech info thread in the members' section of the forum.

Regards rims etc I run a set of 15" Rays Mazdaspeed MS-01 rims which were made for an MX5 and fit my AW SC perfectly.

Bridgestone Potenza RE003 in 195 50/15 work a treat on them. Buy them from a Bridgestone shop when they have their "get the 4th one free" deal.

There's one type of MRS rim that fits well too and they come up for sale on the odd occasion. Jap parts importers might have them? Or the Madza rims.

Have a good look through the tyres thread that's stickied in here some place too (tech section?)

Anyway in a nutshell, rims made for an MX5 with a 4-stud hub seem to be the right offset etc and some of them look pretty good too.

Last thing: Znoelli make some good stuff at a good price. Their 500 series brake pads are excellent. Get some TRD brake fluid from Toyota too cos it's actually Motul 600RBF race fluid at a hugely discounted price. I've found those pads and fluid make for excellent brakes on the road and you can't cook them on a track either. And at a really good price.

OK off to the shed to continue ripping my SW to bits...
#8^) Charlie the certified Westie
Retired - President 2012 - 2018
Retired - Committee Member 2009 - 2018
Retired - Auckland Area Coordinator 2009 - 2018
Retired - Webmaster, Forum Host & Admin 2010 - 2018 - Now it's mknz

Financial Club Member since 2004 and thanks to *84vvt and co-conspirators, Life Member since April 2017 8)
100+ MR2OCNZ runs and counting... When going hard, good rubber's your best protection against unwanted accidents. Buy good tyres!
When you're nearing the end of the drag-strip and you have no 'chute, you may as well keep your foot to the floor... Live life. There ain't no second pass. :twisted:

Adarewyr
Club Member - MR2OCNZ

Post by Adarewyr »

I got levin brakes off trademe thinking theyd work, but they ended up being too big for 15 inch wheels, do you think NA brakes will still bolt onto the same points on the car? And if yes, will a mechanic even know the difference? From memory they look very similar, and if an NA mr2 has seem whats going to make them look out of place on a SC car...

Adarewyr
Club Member - MR2OCNZ

Post by Adarewyr »

I believe I've lost the little metal clips that hold the brake pads. Any ideas on how to replace these, or where to buy them?

GDII
Forum Moderator - MR2OCNZ
Stomping Ground: Wellington
Prime Mover: SW20
First name: Phill

Post by GDII »

All these cars use the clip kit part number so you might be able to find some used ones.

http://www.toyodiy.com/parts/xref?s=044 ... J=on&mG=on

Check out image 2 for the kit. Part number listed in the above link.
http://jp-carparts.com/toyota/partlist. ... 9&fig=4705
1990 SW20 MR2 G-Limited (GEN4 3SGTE Installed)
2000 AE111R Corolla Wagon NZ New Daily
1996 AE101R Corolla Sprint NZ New Selling Soon
1990 EP81 Starlet XL (Sold)
1990 EE90 Corolla XL (Sold)
Instagram https://www.instagram.com/sw20glimited/

Barker
Guest of the Club.
First name: Sam

Post by Barker »

Adarewyr wrote:Im probably going to sound stupid, but my brother is a mechanic and him and the mechanic I took my car to said they couldn't find rear rotors anywhere. This could also be completely wrong, because its been so long since it happened but I thought my rotors were too narrow to pass a warrant. Can they add mass to the rotors?
Not wrong, I work at an auto parts store and tried sourcing rear rotors for an Mr2 - there’s some weird size (I believe non-vented 240mmdia) in which I tried basically every single brake supplier in Nz. In the end eBay surprising was the go.

Adarewyr
Club Member - MR2OCNZ

Post by Adarewyr »

Barker wrote:
Adarewyr wrote:Im probably going to sound stupid, but my brother is a mechanic and him and the mechanic I took my car to said they couldn't find rear rotors anywhere. This could also be completely wrong, because its been so long since it happened but I thought my rotors were too narrow to pass a warrant. Can they add mass to the rotors?
Not wrong, I work at an auto parts store and tried sourcing rear rotors for an Mr2 - there’s some weird size (I believe non-vented 240mmdia) in which I tried basically every single brake supplier in Nz. In the end eBay surprising was the go.
I got mine through Znoelli, they've had to order them in from overseas for me :'( Anyone got any smart ideas on what to do about my missing brake pad guide plate? I've tried toyota and they'd want $160 to ship one in from Japan

GDII

Post by GDII »

Amayama.com has them cheaper or at least should. Exact same oem product. I purchased a set from them for the SW20 for like $60ish shipped per axle.

Cai
Club Member - MR2OCNZ
First name: Cai

Post by Cai »

GDII wrote:Amayama.com has them cheaper or at least should. Exact same oem product. I purchased a set from them for the SW20 for like $60ish shipped per axle.
That seems like a fantastic site! Unfortunately, the rotors for the AW are 180 NZD for the front and 160 NZD for the rear. And that’s each, I believe. Not so affordable for these.

I also am looking at replacing my rotors, since some of them are a bit warped. Adarewyr, do you happen to have the part numbers or links for the rotors you bought from Znoelli?

GDII

Post by GDII »

Cai wrote:
GDII wrote:Amayama.com has them cheaper or at least should. Exact same oem product. I purchased a set from them for the SW20 for like $60ish shipped per axle.
That seems like a fantastic site! Unfortunately, the rotors for the AW are 180 NZD for the front and 160 NZD for the rear. And that’s each, I believe. Not so affordable for these.

I also am looking at replacing my rotors, since some of them are a bit warped. Adarewyr, do you happen to have the part numbers or links for the rotors you bought from Znoelli?
Yeah Toyota rotors are not cheap. Best look elsewhere for those. If you can find them, seems like finding some AW11 rotors is very difficult now.