Replacing cold start injector with intake air temp sensor

An area for technical topics concerning AW10's and AW11's

Moderator: Moderators

Forum rules
This area is dedicated to technical discussions concerning AW10's and AW11's. Please try to spell correctly because this will help people find information later if they are using search functionality. If you need assistance with your car and want to host a spanner day, please use the appropriate section of the forum: http://mr2.org.nz/phpbb3/viewforum.php?f=35 Thank you.
vrtigo
Club Member - MR2OCNZ
Stomping Ground: Auckland
Prime Mover: AW11
First name: Cameron

Replacing cold start injector with intake air temp sensor

Post by vrtigo »

Im running a Megasquirt with the cold start injector unused. Its still in place to keep the hole blocked. Id like to replace it with an intake air temp sensor. Anyone know what the dimensions of the hole are, and if there is an easy method to mount one there?

Benckj
Forum Moderator - MR2OCNZ
Stomping Ground: Otago
Prime Mover: More than one MR2
First name: Jim

Re: Replacing cold start injector with intake air temp sensor

Post by Benckj »

I did something similar on my SW20 but replaced the OEM IAT with a fast responding GM equivalent to suit MS. I re-cut the threads on the GM sensor to suit Toyota stock location. Can do same with your cold start injector position although I'd be a little concerned with heat soaking.
Attachments
IMG_1998.JPG
Jim Benck
90 rev 1 parts car
98 rev 5 GT- all the mods

vrtigo
Club Member - MR2OCNZ

Post by vrtigo »

> heat soaking

One thing in my favour there might be that I have re-directed my coolant lines from the throttle body to my turbo. Still a bit of heat soak through the bolts and just general proximity to the block, though.

I may end up just re-doing my intake piping and fabbing a mounting point there instead.

vrtigo
Club Member - MR2OCNZ

Post by vrtigo »

I ended up making a custom plate for the sensor to screw into, with bolt holes matching the cold start injector pattern. Works a treat!

GDII
Forum Moderator - MR2OCNZ
Stomping Ground: Wellington
Prime Mover: SW20
First name: Phill

Post by GDII »

Heat soak is really only a 'problem' when you stop air moving through the intake manifold. ie on shut down the head heats the intake manifold. But then the engine isn't running so it doesn't matter. On my GEN2 3SGE you can safely touch the manifold when it's running after a long hard drive but soon after you turn it off it gets far too hot.
1990 SW20 MR2 G-Limited (GEN4 3SGTE Installed)
2000 AE111R Corolla Wagon NZ New Daily
1996 AE101R Corolla Sprint NZ New Selling Soon
1990 EP81 Starlet XL (Sold)
1990 EE90 Corolla XL (Sold)
Instagram https://www.instagram.com/sw20glimited/