ST185 brake upgrade - brake lines.

An area for technical topics concerning AW10's and AW11's

Moderator: Moderators

Forum rules
This area is dedicated to technical discussions concerning AW10's and AW11's. Please try to spell correctly because this will help people find information later if they are using search functionality. If you need assistance with your car and want to host a spanner day, please use the appropriate section of the forum: http://mr2.org.nz/phpbb3/viewforum.php?f=35 Thank you.
audasity
Club Member - MR2OCNZ
Stomping Ground: Auckland
Prime Mover: AW11
First name: Simon

ST185 brake upgrade - brake lines.

Post by audasity »

Hi all,

After 5 years, three house moves, one new wife and one new child (& thanks to COVID) I finally have some time to commit to the 18 year MK1 rebuild. Years ago I purchased a pair of ST185 calipers to upgrade my front brakes and was planning to move the fronts to the back (straight bolt up upgrade). That said I have been unable to confirm online that this setup will work with standard 89 SC break lines. I only ask as as I am about to purchase some standard replacement Goodridge braided lines and but am concerned that these may not bolt up to the modified brake configuration ??

Any advise will be appreciated

PS - on your advise five years ago I have rebuilt the Ohlins shocks that were on the car when I got it instead of replacing with low rent coil-overs (fingers crossed) :).

Cheers
Simon S.
$ DREAMS ARE FREE $

Malcolm
Club Member - MR2OCNZ
First name: Malcolm

Re: ST185 brake upgrade - brake lines.

Post by Malcolm »

It's a straight swap re brake lines. What are you going to do for a handbrake if you put the front calipers on the rear? Presumably a track only car?

audasity
Club Member - MR2OCNZ

Post by audasity »

Good call - Its been 5 years and I definitely missed that minor detail - going back to the drawing board on the backs :?

Just found your post for rear upgrade - I'm going to have to find the box in the shed with the brake "upgrade" in it (will be at the bottom of the pile because it was the heaviest) and see if I did indeed get a pair of Gen3 rears. I have a vague recollection of picking them up off a dude with a MK2 on a trailer ... Fingers crossed :).

Do the MK1 break lines work with the Gen3 rears - want to get an order in as shipping at the moment can be somewhat slow ??

Cheers
Simon S.
$ DREAMS ARE FREE $

Malcolm
Club Member - MR2OCNZ

Post by Malcolm »

The standard rear lines work fine for the Gen 3 SW20 brake calipers; they're remarkably similar and I don't remember any issues when fitting them (other than having to change disks and modify those to suit)

GDII
Forum Moderator - MR2OCNZ
Stomping Ground: Wellington
Prime Mover: SW20
First name: Phill

Post by GDII »

Malcolm wrote:
Mon Jun 08, 2020 9:22 pm
The standard rear lines work fine for the Gen 3 SW20 brake calipers; they're remarkably similar and I don't remember any issues when fitting them (other than having to change disks and modify those to suit)
You mean REV2 right? 22V?
1990 SW20 MR2 G-Limited (GEN4 3SGTE Installed)
2000 AE111R Corolla Wagon NZ New Daily
1996 AE101R Corolla Sprint NZ New Selling Soon
1990 EP81 Starlet XL (Sold)
1990 EE90 Corolla XL (Sold)
Instagram https://www.instagram.com/sw20glimited/

Malcolm
Club Member - MR2OCNZ

Post by Malcolm »

Ah yes I suppose so, although they are the same aren't they?

GDII
Forum Moderator - MR2OCNZ
Stomping Ground: Wellington
Prime Mover: SW20
First name: Phill

Post by GDII »

Malcolm wrote:
Tue Jun 09, 2020 9:14 pm
Ah yes I suppose so, although they are the same aren't they?
They are but there are a lot more REV2 cars around than REV3 to take brakes from. The REV3 thing is the USDM cars and I just want to provide correct information so people don't go chasing the wrong thing when they already have the right thing. It's not just REV3 Turbo. It's REV2 G-Limited and GT/GT-S that we have here that has these brakes too.
1990 SW20 MR2 G-Limited (GEN4 3SGTE Installed)
2000 AE111R Corolla Wagon NZ New Daily
1996 AE101R Corolla Sprint NZ New Selling Soon
1990 EP81 Starlet XL (Sold)
1990 EE90 Corolla XL (Sold)
Instagram https://www.instagram.com/sw20glimited/

audasity
Club Member - MR2OCNZ

Post by audasity »

Thanks everyone for your help - Ill go ahead an get the break lines on their way. Wont be needed for some time as I just started the rust repairs today. Nothing more exciting than drilling out spot welds :?
$ DREAMS ARE FREE $

CELICASUPRA1
Guest of the Club.
First name: Josh

Post by CELICASUPRA1 »

front only cheap mod

FYI > hi guys i live in aus and i used zzt231 celica caliper and zze123 corolla sportivo rotors. i put longer studs in the front and a 2mm ally spacer behind the rotor. the work great and are an awesome upgrade.