Advice re. wet weather

An area for topics concerning SW20's

Moderator: Moderators

Forum rules
This area is dedicated to technical discussions concerning SW20's. Please try to spell correctly because this will help people find information later if they are using search functionality. If you need assistance with your car and want to host a spanner day, please use the appropriate section of the forum: http://mr2.org.nz/phpbb3/viewforum.php?f=35 Thank you.
GDII
Forum Moderator - MR2OCNZ
Stomping Ground: Wellington
Prime Mover: SW20
First name: Phill

Re: Advice re. wet weather

Post by GDII »

JKH wrote:So turns out it was indeed the latter - bad wheel alignment. The mechanic said it was shocking how bad it was. Can confirm I took it for a drive once they’d finished with it and it feels like a whole new car. Now onto saving for the rest of the things it needs less urgently :) thanks guys!
That's awesome. Yes, these cars are sensitive to the wheel alignment. Do you have a copy of the alignment specs before and after?
1990 SW20 MR2 G-Limited (GEN4 3SGTE Installed)
2000 AE111R Corolla Wagon NZ New Daily
1996 AE101R Corolla Sprint NZ New Selling Soon
1990 EP81 Starlet XL (Sold)
1990 EE90 Corolla XL (Sold)
Instagram https://www.instagram.com/sw20glimited/

tw2
Area Coordinator - MR2OCNZ
Stomping Ground: Waikato
First name: Thomas

Post by tw2 »

Was that from the same place? Those numbers on the last sheet were not good. I am guessing they were a bit embarrassed.
Thomas, 91 G, 05 E55
Area Coordinator Waikato

JKH
Guest of the Club.
Stomping Ground: Manawatu
First name: Julia

Post by JKH »

I took it to a different place - didn't much trust the other place I went. I have no clue what on earth they did to it for an hour to make it so messed up.

I'll try put the pic of the new sheet below, hopefully it's readable. The guy talked me through it a little, I was slightly horrified.
Attachments
thumbnail_IMG_3701.jpg
thumbnail_IMG_3701.jpg (306.43 KiB) Viewed 2838 times

tw2
Area Coordinator - MR2OCNZ
First name: Thomas

Post by tw2 »

Looks much better! You obviously have a car that caster can be adjusted (not all came with an adjustable setup). I bet you have much more confidence driving it now.
Thomas, 91 G, 05 E55
Area Coordinator Waikato

JKH
Guest of the Club.

Post by JKH »

I can't even convey how much better it feels. I had no idea a messed up alignment could make such a difference. I'm excited to drive it now!

I didn't know that about adjustable caster, interesting.

ClanFever
Executive Officer - MR2OCNZ
First name: Olaf

Post by ClanFever »

A bad alignment can make a car very scary. When we first bought the girlfriends' Carina (FWD 4 door slow Celica) it felt like it wanted to kick out sideways when going around slight turns at 80-100kmh. Had some decent toe in at the back
Ex-President & Wellington Area Coordinator & Lower North MR2 Leader
Current: 1992 Toyota MR2 G-Limited with Gen 4 3S-GTE + CT20B (APEXED), 2005 Toyota IST, 2008 Toyota Vanguard - 2GR!
Past: 1990 Toyota MR2 G-Limited, "Semi Parts Car" 1991 Toyota MR2 G-Limited, '91 G-Limited, '89 G-Limited, '91 NZ New MR2, '91 G-Limited, '91 GT (Parts Car), '99 Altezza 3SGE, '98 Altezza 1GFE, '88 Corolla, '96 Curren, '94 Ceres Corolla, '94 Levin, '90 Hiace Super Custom 4x4, '91 Mirage, '93 MX-6 J-Spec, '91 Familia, '91 Galant, '90 Navara, '96 Commodore, '94 Pajero, '89 Lancer, '93 Pajero, '92 Pajero, '89 Mirage, '92 Terrano, '87 Familia, '03 Colt, '91 Pajero, '91 Pajero, '97 Carib, '96 Carina, '02 Turbo Forester

Benckj
Forum Moderator - MR2OCNZ
Stomping Ground: Otago
Prime Mover: More than one MR2
First name: Jim

Post by Benckj »

Wheel alignment can can make all the difference. Most places that do alignments have a sophisticated machine but use some pimply face kid operating. You really need a Technician who understands what they are doing to give the patient the best cure.

Anytime I’ve had an alignment I bring my own auto-cross specs into the shop to discuss with the Technician. It becomes very apparent after a brief talk on if they understand and will check & adjust as per your figures. Most shops say they will follow factory settings as per machine output. I then finish thier free coffee and find another shop.
Jim Benck
90 rev 1 parts car
98 rev 5 GT- all the mods

Cruser
Club Member - MR2OCNZ
First name: Brian

Post by Cruser »

12mm toe on one side would make your car drive bad alright.
Cant believe the first place didn't sort it.
Its up there to do a name and shame.
Anyway good that its sorted, if you need any help let me know. Think I'm near your area, just did read this post till too late.

JKH
Guest of the Club.

Post by JKH »

Thanks! I shall definitely be out and about on weekends now. Hopefully everything will be good from here on out, it just needs some cosmetic work and little things here and there. So if you see a slightly scruffy red one with white wheels it’s me :)

Swampy
Club Member - MR2OCNZ
First name: James

Post by Swampy »

Free coffee from an alignment shop... Where can I find that sort of customer service?!

I agree with Al though, those tyres aren't good -

But will be an improvement over old hard cracked tyres. OP should be safe with new tyres and all the suspension work he's done and when he can afford to upgrade to 17s and Potenzas he can use old set of 14s for burnouts etc.

Just treat it with respect, an MR2 will make you feel like a million bucks but do stupid stuff and you will end up in trouble.
In the shed: 91 MR2 G-Limited, 95 Subaru Impreza WRX
In the front of the shed: 95 Corolla
In the driveway: 00 Subaru Legacy Lancaster
In the rear view: 87 Honda Prelude, 94 Nissan Serena, 04 Swift
~ 4 Runs ~

JKH
Guest of the Club.

Post by JKH »

Never fear - I'm a thirty year old female in an auto MR2, not a seventeen year old boy racer with something to prove :) I'm a fairly cautious driver, and I researched pretty carefully about how they handle (compared to what I'm used to) before I bought one. I will be upgrading the tyres in the near future, but for my purposes right now it's fine.

I've had it out a lot the last couple of weekends and am having a blast :) it feels so good now.

Reuban
Club Member - MR2OCNZ
Stomping Ground: Hawkes Bay
Prime Mover: Looking for an MR2
First name: Reuban

Post by Reuban »

Alsw20 wrote:Goodride and Triangles.

I would rather walk.
where's that like button when you need it :P

Reuban
Club Member - MR2OCNZ
Stomping Ground: Hawkes Bay
Prime Mover: Looking for an MR2
First name: Reuban

Post by Reuban »

JKH wrote:I took it to a different place - didn't much trust the other place I went. I have no clue what on earth they did to it for an hour to make it so messed up.

I'll try put the pic of the new sheet below, hopefully it's readable. The guy talked me through it a little, I was slightly horrified.
That rear toe in! That first outfit was "toe n go" all the way! good on you for taking it for another somewhere better. I can testify to how key alignments are to MR2's, you can tailor the whole car to your driving style just in the alignment, throw in tyres and you can make it amazing! or terrible. listen to the cool headed regulars on here and you'll be ok. Also become a paid up member and take advantage of the discounts and deals section, it'll easily pay for membership in the end!

JKH
Guest of the Club.

Post by JKH »

Dude if I had a dollar for every time someone has told me how bad the tyres are I could afford a whole new set already. I'm working on it guys! It's just currently one thing on a long list. I did have it out the other day in the rain and the cheap tyres seem fine for my particular driving style (AKA grandma). Gotta silicone that roof though :D

ClanFever
Executive Officer - MR2OCNZ
First name: Olaf

Post by ClanFever »

JKH wrote:Dude if I had a dollar for every time someone has told me how bad the tyres are I could afford a whole new set already. I'm working on it guys! It's just currently one thing on a long list. I did have it out the other day in the rain and the cheap tyres seem fine for my particular driving style (AKA grandma). Gotta silicone that roof though :D
tYrEs

They are important. What is more important is being aware of the limits of the tyres you have installed and not driving past their limit. People are good at driving the MR2 to the limit without giving their tyres consideration, so as a default, good tyres are good to prevent an accident. If you are on worn, old or cheap rubber, then adjust driving to suit, simple! Continue as you are - just be aware you're not getting all the MR2 you paid for without it :mrgreen:
Ex-President & Wellington Area Coordinator & Lower North MR2 Leader
Current: 1992 Toyota MR2 G-Limited with Gen 4 3S-GTE + CT20B (APEXED), 2005 Toyota IST, 2008 Toyota Vanguard - 2GR!
Past: 1990 Toyota MR2 G-Limited, "Semi Parts Car" 1991 Toyota MR2 G-Limited, '91 G-Limited, '89 G-Limited, '91 NZ New MR2, '91 G-Limited, '91 GT (Parts Car), '99 Altezza 3SGE, '98 Altezza 1GFE, '88 Corolla, '96 Curren, '94 Ceres Corolla, '94 Levin, '90 Hiace Super Custom 4x4, '91 Mirage, '93 MX-6 J-Spec, '91 Familia, '91 Galant, '90 Navara, '96 Commodore, '94 Pajero, '89 Lancer, '93 Pajero, '92 Pajero, '89 Mirage, '92 Terrano, '87 Familia, '03 Colt, '91 Pajero, '91 Pajero, '97 Carib, '96 Carina, '02 Turbo Forester