New weatherstripping

An area for topics concerning SW20's

Moderator: Moderators

Forum rules
This area is dedicated to technical discussions concerning SW20's. Please try to spell correctly because this will help people find information later if they are using search functionality. If you need assistance with your car and want to host a spanner day, please use the appropriate section of the forum: http://mr2.org.nz/phpbb3/viewforum.php?f=35 Thank you.
JKH
Guest of the Club.
Stomping Ground: Manawatu
Prime Mover: SW20
First name: Julia

New weatherstripping

Post by JKH »

Hey people, this might have been covered more generally elsewhere but I'm after some advice.
So I bit the bullet and just had brand new weatherstripping installed since mine had been messed with a bunch (not by me!) and was beyond saving, and every rainfall meant very wet seats. Sucks when you don't have a garage.
Haven't tested it out yet since the rain seems to have stopped, but it sure seems to be much - fluffier? plumper? fits better anyway so hopefully my leaks will be gone.
The advice I'm after is keeping it in good shape as long as possible. I always see the Shin-Etsu grease mentioned with regards to conditioning rubber, is this type of thing the way to go?

james_zemah
Club Member - MR2OCNZ
Stomping Ground: Waikato
Prime Mover: SW20
First name: James

Re: New weatherstripping

Post by james_zemah »

Used Shin-Etsu Grease on my Hardtop seals and it definitely made a difference. I just did it for peace of mind and it really worked, better than expected. As for actual prevention of ruining weather stripping, I don't know much about T-tops but I always see eccentric guides being mentioned. More than anything about surface condition, I would think the best thing for preventing tearing is to double check the doors, mirror mounts, and windows are positioned correctly. Make sure the seal is secured with new clips etc and all installed correctly and you shouldn't have to worry about it. They have a tendency to tear around the internal metal tabs near the ends of the seals themselves, most notably towards the back of the window surround. Ends up rusing out the tabs and they dont stay fastened correctly.
JAMES BURBERRY | HAMILTON | 06-02-2001
The guy who Replicated TOMS taillight Louvres
Message via Forum or FB for Inquiries.

1998 Nissan Pulsar (2017-2020 RIP :cry:)
2004 Subaru Legacy 3.0 (2020-2020)
1991 MR2 SW20 G-Limited (2020 - current Project)
1999 Ford KN Laser LXi 1.6 (2022 - current Daily)