Any Mechanics for a 2GR-FE Swap

An area for topics concerning SW20's

Moderator: Moderators

Forum rules
This area is dedicated to technical discussions concerning SW20's. Please try to spell correctly because this will help people find information later if they are using search functionality. If you need assistance with your car and want to host a spanner day, please use the appropriate section of the forum: http://mr2.org.nz/phpbb3/viewforum.php?f=35 Thank you.
Zimmo
Club Member - MR2OCNZ
Stomping Ground: Auckland
Prime Mover: SW20
First name: Dylan

Any Mechanics for a 2GR-FE Swap

Post by Zimmo »

Hello,

Well I am in two minds as to pay someone to install my 2GR-FE or just fix my 3S-GTE (sounds like a spun bearing) the kit cost me in excess of 7.5k and doubt anyone here will be interested in buying due to the cost of the swap so may as well continue down the track.... Does anyone know of any good mechanics that are capable of doing swaps and are reputable with experience with the MR2?

If I go down this track I will most likely purchase Gouky's new Supercharger m62 kit, Lotus ECU, and manifold and wiring loom as well as the signal converter for the tacho.

I have moved places and no longer have a garage, just a secure car park :(

Alsw20
Club Member - MR2OCNZ
Stomping Ground: Christchurch
First name: Al

Re: Any Mechanics for a 2GR-FE Swap

Post by Alsw20 »

Hire a storage unit/garage for the project. A mechanic will charge huge money for an engine swap like that.

JasonFriday13
Club Member - MR2OCNZ
Stomping Ground: Taranaki
First name: Jason

Post by JasonFriday13 »

I think there are fewer than ten conversions in NZ, I've only seen three? I think? Most of those conversions were done diy style, like most V6 swaps. I bet some club members might help out if they are shouted some beers :wink: . I know Sinturion put a 2GR into his AW11, so there is some knowledge about them on the forums. [edit] Found the build thread: http://mr2.org.nz/phpbb3/viewtopic.php?f=27&t=10576.
Jason Ross, current cars:
Project: 1990 SW20 GT, 1992+ brake swap, 1992+ subframe swap, 1996 Celica turbo engine swap, 1996 MR2 LSD gearbox swap, Caldina Turbo coil-on-plug ignition, Link G4 Storm, 161kw @ 10psi.
Daily: 2004 Toyota Vitz RS, 1.5L, 5sp
Tow rig: 2009 Camry, 2.4L, auto
Scrapped: 1989 SW20 GT, 1992 SW20 G-Limited, ex EssDub car, donor, 1997 Toyota Tercel 3dr hatch, front crash, 1990 SW20, G-Limited, ex EssDub car, roll crashed, donor
Sold: 1987 AW11 Supercharged, 1991 SW20 G-Limited, ex EssDub car

Zimmo
Club Member - MR2OCNZ

Post by Zimmo »

Thanks for the info guys, I'll consider the shed option that could work. Well money is always an issue but I'm shorter on time than I am money as I have a couple of companies that keep me busy most days and nights. Paying someone 10k would be better than missing out on work opportunities.

DravidDavid
Club Member - MR2OCNZ
First name: David

Post by DravidDavid »

Zimmo wrote:Thanks for the info guys, I'll consider the shed option that could work. Well money is always an issue but I'm shorter on time than I am money as I have a couple of companies that keep me busy most days and nights. Paying someone 10k would be better than missing out on work opportunities.
Don't worry, I'll take one of the team and take one or two of those companies off your hands for free if you like? Haha.
I'm no mechanic, but I can hold a torch and am happy to help out for nothing if it means I learn something.

Zimmo
Club Member - MR2OCNZ

Post by Zimmo »

Thanks for the offer but I may just keep both :p

Decided on https://www.facebook.com/GTAutomotive20 ... dPapakura/ car is going there next week.

Will let you all know how it goes. thanks guys.

ansys
Guest of the Club.
First name: Paul

Post by ansys »

Hey mate, I'm going down the rabbit hole of a 2gr swap myself. How did yours go with GT Automotive? Would you recommend them? how pricey was it? Do you still have the car? Cheers!