Plumbing and vacuum hoses

An area for topics concerning SW20's

Moderator: Moderators

Forum rules
This area is dedicated to technical discussions concerning SW20's. Please try to spell correctly because this will help people find information later if they are using search functionality. If you need assistance with your car and want to host a spanner day, please use the appropriate section of the forum: http://mr2.org.nz/phpbb3/viewforum.php?f=35 Thank you.
geemannz
Club Member - MR2OCNZ
Stomping Ground: Waikato
Prime Mover: Looking for an MR2
First name: Gareth

Re: Plumbing and vacuum hoses

Post by geemannz »

GDII wrote:That's a start. Good effort.
So I replaced my idle control valve with my old one (i knew that one was working) and also rerouted some of the air lines that were going to the wrong place. plumbed it up again, turned the key and it ran beautifully.
Still need to figure out the ACIS vacuum line plumbing but apart from that its now a working car!

Once I get the clutch bled and the coolant bled, Ill be able to take it for its first drive after the swap.

Thank you for your help, you have helped me a lot over the last couple of months with this swap. if im ever near you, I owe you a beer or two.

GDII
Forum Moderator - MR2OCNZ
Stomping Ground: Wellington
Prime Mover: SW20
First name: Phill

Post by GDII »

That's good news. Vacuum stuff can really mess with an engine if it's wrong.

For the ACIS have a look at the bottom right of this image.
You need a vacuum hose from after the throttle body, then it goes to the vacuum chamber, then to the ACIS VSV (valve under the intake manifold) then to the ACIS actuator diaphragm. I'm not 100% sure where the vacuum source is on the manifold.

geemannz wrote:Thank you for your help, you have helped me a lot over the last couple of months with this swap. if im ever near you, I owe you a beer or two.
All good. Just happy to help out and get another MR2 back on the road. I've definitely learnt a few things during the process.
1990 SW20 MR2 G-Limited (GEN4 3SGTE Installed)
2000 AE111R Corolla Wagon NZ New Daily
1996 AE101R Corolla Sprint NZ New Selling Soon
1990 EP81 Starlet XL (Sold)
1990 EE90 Corolla XL (Sold)
Instagram https://www.instagram.com/sw20glimited/

geemannz
Club Member - MR2OCNZ

Post by geemannz »

GDII wrote:That's good news. Vacuum stuff can really mess with an engine if it's wrong.

For the ACIS have a look at the bottom right of this image.
You need a vacuum hose from after the throttle body, then it goes to the vacuum chamber, then to the ACIS VSV (valve under the intake manifold) then to the ACIS actuator diaphragm. I'm not 100% sure where the vacuum source is on the manifold.

geemannz wrote:Thank you for your help, you have helped me a lot over the last couple of months with this swap. if im ever near you, I owe you a beer or two.
All good. Just happy to help out and get another MR2 back on the road. I've definitely learnt a few things during the process.
Looks like the only line in missing is the one from the actuator to the vsv. ill have to get that done tomorrow. Hopefully by thursday night I will have a working car again.

geemannz
Club Member - MR2OCNZ

Post by geemannz »

GDII wrote:Are you using the SW20 wiring harness or the Caldina harness?

I can't think of much else that gets plugged in around that side of the engine or gearbox.

There is:
Distributor (ruled out)
Idle control valve (Wire colours don't match)
Speed sensor on gearbox (Wire colours don't match)
Coolant temp sensors (Not the right plug type)
Reverse switch (Not the right plug type)

I think that 3 pin plug is the speed sensor. Got to take it for a drive today, and the speedo wasn't working. Where abouts would the other end of the plug be?

GDII
Forum Moderator - MR2OCNZ
Stomping Ground: Wellington
Prime Mover: SW20
First name: Phill

Post by GDII »

geemannz wrote:

I can't think of much else that gets plugged in around that side of the engine or gearbox.

There is:
Distributor (ruled out)

I think that 3 pin plug is the speed sensor. Got to take it for a drive today, and the speedo wasn't working. Where abouts would the other end of the plug be?
On the back of the gearbox next to the rear mount. I was expecting to see a purple wire for the signal, a black with yellow wire for power and a brown wire for ground.
S54 Speedo Drive.jpg
S54 Speedo Drive.jpg (69.66 KiB) Viewed 1111 times
1990 SW20 MR2 G-Limited (GEN4 3SGTE Installed)
2000 AE111R Corolla Wagon NZ New Daily
1996 AE101R Corolla Sprint NZ New Selling Soon
1990 EP81 Starlet XL (Sold)
1990 EE90 Corolla XL (Sold)
Instagram https://www.instagram.com/sw20glimited/

geemannz
Club Member - MR2OCNZ

Post by geemannz »

GDII wrote:
geemannz wrote:

There is:
Distributor (ruled out)

On the back of the gearbox next to the rear mount. I was expecting to see a purple wire for the signal, a black with yellow wire for power and a brown wire for ground.
S54 Speedo Drive.jpg

Sweet as just found it. Everything should be working now. Cheers for that