Boost Gauge Install

An area for topics concerning SW20's

Moderator: Moderators

Forum rules
This area is dedicated to technical discussions concerning SW20's. Please try to spell correctly because this will help people find information later if they are using search functionality. If you need assistance with your car and want to host a spanner day, please use the appropriate section of the forum: http://mr2.org.nz/phpbb3/viewforum.php?f=35 Thank you.
thorns
Club Member - MR2OCNZ
Stomping Ground: Christchurch
Prime Mover: SW20
First name: Paul

Boost Gauge Install

Post by thorns »

Has anyone found a good link to a step by step guide to installing a boost gauge?
I can find some old links scattered round google but a lot are missing the photos now as they are ancient threads so a wee bit incomplete for a beginner.

Really after a install guide for 'dummies' so to speak.
1990 SW20 Turbo, Previously 1991 Green SW20 Turbo basket case

mknz
Site Admin - MR2OCNZ
Stomping Ground: Auckland
Prime Mover: More than one MR2
First name: Michael

Re: Boost Gauge Install

Post by mknz »

https://youtu.be/0-JieFM0MHA

It's tough starting off. But you'll need to learn how to learn about cars. Sorry to throw you off the deep end but the internet tutorials and the BGB aren't perfectly detailed so consider this your first experience.

Alsw20
Club Member - MR2OCNZ
First name: Al

Post by Alsw20 »

A mechanical gauge is easiest. One vacuum tube from manifold to gauge, then splice into ground and positive wires that switch on with the headlights. Hardest part is running the vacuum tube from the dash to the manifold.

I can give you a hand if you need.

thorns
Club Member - MR2OCNZ

Post by thorns »

Have watched a few vids and have the general idea, was hoping for a MR2 walkthrough. Seems you need to remove half the interior panels to run the line through to front.

Thanks Al, might hit you up in the new year if I feel I am in over my head.

Is it worth going the full hog and spending money on a electornic one that is a boost controller as well, such as the GFB G Force controllers? A bit more work I imagine, but maybe worth it?

Alsw20
Club Member - MR2OCNZ

Post by Alsw20 »

I personally don't think the expense of an electronic gauge is worth it. Besides you still have to run the wires from the boost source to the gauge.

This was my setup. Blitz 60mm mechanical boost gauge on top of the steering column cover, Blitz Dual SBC boost controller in the single din pocket. Both the gauge and the boost controller used the same vacuum hose. The solenoid in the engine bay had wiring to the boost controller to tell it when it turn on/off.
Attachments
clears003.jpg
clears003.jpg (68.51 KiB) Viewed 2897 times

thorns
Club Member - MR2OCNZ

Post by thorns »

Found a youtube vid and it seems he tees into this connection here

But then also read somewhere that this is a better spot, its capped from the factory, but wont require any tees and a better spot. hard to see in photo, but on the right hand side of the intake plenum and pointing down toward the road

Jabeo
Club Member - MR2OCNZ
Stomping Ground: Waikato
First name: Jabeo

Post by Jabeo »

Both are valid places yes, but i found that one of the most commonly used places to plumb it in is by going to the turbo pressure sensor (stock boost gauge sensor/line ) this is found by the diagnostics plug and has a restrictor valve of sorts in the line. You can remove the valve and plumb in a tee fitting and then run a vacuum line from there to the dash. Best bet is to run the line from the dash first, under the plastic door sill, behind the speaker platic beside the seat and behind the fabric behind the seat. There is a rubber grommet there going into the firewall where you can push through the hose as much as you can. from there feel around the intercooler side of the firewall and pull the hose up and over the intercooler fixing it to the harness and running it to the tee. Trust me you will need a lot more hose than you might initially think :lol: on my thread here http://mr2.org.nz/forum/viewtopic.php?f ... 4&start=75 this is where i installed it and you will see some photos of what i mean, hope it helps. also you will get to retain whatever functionality the oem gauge has lol
1992 MR2 GT Turbo :twisted: Complete with Traction control!
1997 N/A Honda Civic EK3 :twisted:

:!: Follow me on Instagram :!: https://www.instagram.com/jabeo_waho/
Im still learning a lot about cars so bear with me!

thorns
Club Member - MR2OCNZ

Post by thorns »

Jabeo wrote:Both are valid places yes, but i found that one of the most commonly used places to plumb it in is by going to the turbo pressure sensor (stock boost gauge sensor/line ) this is found by the diagnostics plug and has a restrictor valve of sorts in the line. You can remove the valve and plumb in a tee fitting and then run a vacuum line from there to the dash. Best bet is to run the line from the dash first, under the plastic door sill, behind the speaker platic beside the seat and behind the fabric behind the seat. There is a rubber grommet there going into the firewall where you can push through the hose as much as you can. from there feel around the intercooler side of the firewall and pull the hose up and over the intercooler fixing it to the harness and running it to the tee. Trust me you will need a lot more hose than you might initially think :lol: on my thread here http://mr2.org.nz/forum/viewtopic.php?f ... 4&start=75 this is where i installed it and you will see some photos of what i mean, hope it helps. also you will get to retain whatever functionality the oem gauge has lol
Thanks for this, will investigate further on running the lines that way. Where you have suggeste teeing in, would it be where it is shown in the first few seconds of this vidoe here?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ihT2JtF8Sj8

mknz
Site Admin - MR2OCNZ
Stomping Ground: Auckland
Prime Mover: More than one MR2
First name: Michael

Post by mknz »

From experience selling them, the cheapies are accurate enough (within a psi) and the only error they normally have is an offset from 0. You can figure out how off it is by just looking at it when it's disconnected.

Jabeo
Club Member - MR2OCNZ
Stomping Ground: Waikato
First name: Jabeo

Post by Jabeo »

thorns wrote:Thanks for this, will investigate further on running the lines that way. Where you have suggeste teeing in, would it be where it is shown in the first few seconds of this vidoe here?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ihT2JtF8Sj8
Yep literally right there, where that Tee is there is normally a white restrictor stock which im holding in one of my photos, i believe the valve is clipped into something. i just ran it from there because trying to adapt a small diameter hose to a port that big on the manifold and in that location was a little too annoying and fiddly to get at. plus it utilises the Oem line for the oem gauge too.

As for wiring you might find that there is a plug under the dash when you remove it that isnt connected to anything, which a few people have found. you can see it in my thread, but the plug has power going to it when the lights are turned on so you can tap into that plug if you dont want to find the headlight wiring as well
1992 MR2 GT Turbo :twisted: Complete with Traction control!
1997 N/A Honda Civic EK3 :twisted:

:!: Follow me on Instagram :!: https://www.instagram.com/jabeo_waho/
Im still learning a lot about cars so bear with me!

thorns
Club Member - MR2OCNZ

Post by thorns »

So that restrictor can be removed with no adverse affects? Or do you install it further down the line?

Got 90% of the puzzle I think worked out now, so now just the intimidating part of removing interior trim with breaking or cracking it.

GDII
Forum Moderator - MR2OCNZ
Stomping Ground: Wellington
First name: Phill

Post by GDII »

That restrictor is a filter to stop crap getting into the MAP sensor. You wouldn't want it to be a restrictor for the boost signal, it would give false readings.

MAP sensors on the GEN2 3SGTE runs the OEM boost gauge (which is useless) and provides boost/fuel cut protection.

23265 in this diagram in image 2. FILTER GAS. NO.1
http://jp-carparts.com/toyota/partlist. ... 5&fig=1708

It's pretty typical for people to run the aftermarket boost gauge off this vacuum port like what Jabeo said. The port on the back of the manifold is quite large so getting the small vacuum hose onto it it a challenge.
1990 SW20 MR2 G-Limited (GEN4 3SGTE Installed)
2000 AE111R Corolla Wagon NZ New Daily
1996 AE101R Corolla Sprint NZ New Selling Soon
1990 EP81 Starlet XL (Sold)
1990 EE90 Corolla XL (Sold)
Instagram https://www.instagram.com/sw20glimited/

Alsw20
Club Member - MR2OCNZ

Post by Alsw20 »

That hose that goes from the BPS to the manifold I just used to remove. Then plumb the boost gauge/boost controller vacuum line into the now spare manifold port.

No fuel cut and a cleaner engine bay :lol:

thorns
Club Member - MR2OCNZ

Post by thorns »

Alsw20 wrote:That hose that goes from the BPS to the manifold I just used to remove. Then plumb the boost gauge/boost controller vacuum line into the now spare manifold port.

is that the hose in the first pic i posted?

Alsw20
Club Member - MR2OCNZ

Post by Alsw20 »

thorns wrote:
Alsw20 wrote:That hose that goes from the BPS to the manifold I just used to remove. Then plumb the boost gauge/boost controller vacuum line into the now spare manifold port.

is that the hose in the first pic i posted?
No it's on the other side of the intake manifold. It comes out of the base of the boost pressure sensor and plumbs into the intake manifold (port not pictured) the vacuum line is only about 150mm long.
Attachments
IMG00209-20110304-1030.jpg
IMG00209-20110304-1030.jpg (48.99 KiB) Viewed 2866 times