91' 3S-GE Air intake hose

An area for topics concerning SW20's

Moderator: Moderators

Forum rules
This area is dedicated to technical discussions concerning SW20's. Please try to spell correctly because this will help people find information later if they are using search functionality. If you need assistance with your car and want to host a spanner day, please use the appropriate section of the forum: http://mr2.org.nz/phpbb3/viewforum.php?f=35 Thank you.
THR4SHER007
Club Member - MR2OCNZ
Stomping Ground: Bay Of Plenty
Prime Mover: SW20
First name: Logan

91' 3S-GE Air intake hose

Post by THR4SHER007 »

Hey guys,

I was checking on the condition of my air filter, and as I was putting the intake hose back on to the throttle body, it split down the side. It's all back on for now, no leaks, but only a temporary fix (electrical taped the hole up).
It is quite expensive and hard to find a replacement hose, and was wondering whether it would be easier to buy a replacement hose, or take all of the stock intake box out and replace it with some hosing down to the side vent and a K&N pod filter. Also any issues I may find on the way.

Thanks in advance

Logan
Current:
1991 MR2 G-Limited Manual Hard top
1998 Camry Gracia
Previous:
2004 Toyota Crown Majesta
2018 Husqvarna Svartpilen 401
2008 Toyota Blade Master G
2018 Yamaha YZF R3
1994 Celica ST202 Manual
Follow my Instagram @: https://www.instagram.com/logansunnex/

tw2
Area Coordinator - MR2OCNZ
Stomping Ground: Waikato
First name: Thomas

Re: 91' 3S-GE Air intake hose

Post by tw2 »

Since the map sensor comes off the manifold there shouldn't be any issue with air leaks.

You can easily fabricate an intake with connections for the vacuum hoses. You will get a lot more intake noise without the stock baffles and resonator chambers though. People probably have spare oem hoses from doing mods, maybe post a thread in buy sell section. You could also check the Japanese sites for better new prices.

I would just cut the hose, make a metal replacement with welded on vacuum connections and use the stock airbox with silicon joiners.
Thomas, 91 G, 05 E55
Area Coordinator Waikato

Mr-Paulio
Stomping Ground: Auckland
Prime Mover: AW11
First name: Paul

Post by Mr-Paulio »

I feel I can help here as I had this same problem and completed the same mod you are talking about literally 2 days ago!
So a few things to note are:
The stock system has a whole bunch of additional chambers to take the noise out of the intake. Rubbish if you ask me! Just more plastic and a waste of space. So your car will be noisier without these. Not like a boosted car. But it will have a deep throaty noise. Which I quite like personally.
It won't improve performance. In fact it may even hinder it as it will likely suck in more warm air from the engine bay. Unless you get the filter nice and deep in the vent and make up some sheilds etc.
You will need to make a bracket to keep the filter off the fuel tank lines and to keep it still. The original filter box fixing points will work great for this.
You also "should" reinstall the air temp sensor from the filter box back in the new intake pipe to keep it running properly. Although many people don't and don't notice a difference. But it's very easy to do. Just drill a hole the same size (20mm I think it was?) Install the original rubber gromet and the sensor just pushes in.

Here is a picture of mine. I just did this quickly to keep the car going with what I had lying around. I will have to make a better intake tube later with the right bends and shape and also longer to go right in the vent. As well as replace the rubber join. I just used the stock one cut in half where the split was.
20181224_164128.jpg
Hope this helps somewhat?
'89 AW11 V6 Turbo (350BHP & 380Ft/lbs!) :twisted:
'86 AW11 20V (Sold) :(
'91 SW20 Turbo "BlackRat" #RatRodStyle (Sold) :(
'91 SW20 Turbo (Sold) :(
South Auckland Area Coordinator

THR4SHER007
Club Member - MR2OCNZ
Stomping Ground: Bay Of Plenty
First name: Logan

Post by THR4SHER007 »

Thanks for the tips so far.

Would anyone have any idea on how to do this cost efficiently?

I'm looking at this ATM

https://bcdirect.co.nz/product/induction-kit/
Current:
1991 MR2 G-Limited Manual Hard top
1998 Camry Gracia
Previous:
2004 Toyota Crown Majesta
2018 Husqvarna Svartpilen 401
2008 Toyota Blade Master G
2018 Yamaha YZF R3
1994 Celica ST202 Manual
Follow my Instagram @: https://www.instagram.com/logansunnex/

tw2
Stomping Ground: Waikato
First name: Thomas

Post by tw2 »

You could do what Paul did which only requires some straight pipe, a couple of inches of small hardpipe and some hose clamps.

Otherwise I wouldn't buy a universal kit unless you can confirm the hose attachment is exactly the right size. I would buy two 30 or 45 degree silicon couplers, some straight aluminum pipe, have the correct nipple welded on and get out the hacksaw, total cost $40-150 depending on what you can find and who you know.
Thomas, 91 G, 05 E55
Area Coordinator Waikato

mknz
Site Admin - MR2OCNZ
Prime Mover: More than one MR2
First name: Michael

Post by mknz »

GDII
Forum Moderator - MR2OCNZ
Stomping Ground: Wellington
First name: Phill

Post by GDII »

Where is the split? Because if you can repair it with some rubber silicone that could work. All you are doing is trying to prevent unfiltered air getting in.

Or you do replace the whole hose and filter with another pipe to make it sound different. All you need is a place for the intake air temp sensor port, a port for the idle valve hose and a port for the AC valve hose if you still have AC.

I know that taking off the 2 resonators from this hose in question but leaving the filter box and large resonator in place gives a nice sound too and keeps the stock intake positioned to take in cold air. Paul's example is placed well compared to a lot of Pod filter replacements people do.
1990 SW20 MR2 G-Limited (GEN4 3SGTE Installed)
2000 AE111R Corolla Wagon NZ New Daily
1996 AE101R Corolla Sprint NZ New Selling Soon
1990 EP81 Starlet XL (Sold)
1990 EE90 Corolla XL (Sold)
Instagram https://www.instagram.com/sw20glimited/

Mr-Paulio

Post by Mr-Paulio »

Yeah I would be skeptical of any "universal" kits. I believe the throttle body is 2.5". Somewhere like redline, scarles etc you can get all the bits you need. As I said you can drill the sensor in. You will need a nipple for this vac hose....
20181228_155906.jpg
I think it's brake booster? (But didn't really look)
Easiest way will be rip it all out and put some cardboard in the place and draw a line through the centre of where you want it to run. Then try match that line with a selection of 2.5" ali and silicone bends and joins and straight pipes etc. To get it to go where yoy want.

GDII
Forum Moderator - MR2OCNZ
Stomping Ground: Wellington
First name: Phill

Post by GDII »

Mr-Paulio wrote:Yeah I would be skeptical of any "universal" kits. I believe the throttle body is 2.5". Somewhere like redline, scarles etc you can get all the bits you need. As I said you can drill the sensor in. You will need a nipple for this vac hose....
20181228_155906.jpg
I think it's brake booster? (But didn't really look)
Thats the idle air and A/C idle air port. Good luck getting vacuum outside of the intake manifold for your brake booster. :lol:
1990 SW20 MR2 G-Limited (GEN4 3SGTE Installed)
2000 AE111R Corolla Wagon NZ New Daily
1996 AE101R Corolla Sprint NZ New Selling Soon
1990 EP81 Starlet XL (Sold)
1990 EE90 Corolla XL (Sold)
Instagram https://www.instagram.com/sw20glimited/

Mr-Paulio

Post by Mr-Paulio »

GDII wrote:Thats the idle air and A/C idle air port. Good luck getting vacuum outside of the intake manifold for your brake booster. :lol:
Ah yes. Brake booster would have to be on the inside of the throttle body :lol:

Mr-Paulio

Post by Mr-Paulio »

THR4SHER007 wrote:Hey guys,

I was checking on the condition of my air filter, and as I was putting the intake hose back on to the throttle body, it split down the side. It's all back on for now, no leaks, but only a temporary fix (electrical taped the hole up).
It is quite expensive and hard to find a replacement hose, and was wondering whether it would be easier to buy a replacement hose, or take all of the stock intake box out and replace it with some hosing down to the side vent and a K&N pod filter. Also any issues I may find on the way.

Thanks in advance

Logan
I have done this now if you want to check out what did in more detail? You can also PM me if that helps?
http://mr2.org.nz/phpbb3/viewtopic.php? ... 44#p144444