Building gen 4 91 gt hardtop

An area for topics concerning SW20's

Moderator: Moderators

Forum rules
This area is dedicated to technical discussions concerning SW20's. Please try to spell correctly because this will help people find information later if they are using search functionality. If you need assistance with your car and want to host a spanner day, please use the appropriate section of the forum: http://mr2.org.nz/phpbb3/viewforum.php?f=35 Thank you.
Mr2fast
Guest of the Club.
Stomping Ground: Taranaki
Prime Mover: SW20
First name: Tom

Building gen 4 91 gt hardtop

Post by Mr2fast »

What downpipe and exhaust?
What intercooler?
Please any advice

Jabeo
Club Member - MR2OCNZ
Stomping Ground: Waikato
First name: Jabeo

Re: Building gen 4 91 gt hardtop

Post by Jabeo »

Mr2fast wrote:What downpipe and exhaust?
What intercooler?
Please any advice
The question is pretty broad but Prime, berk, ko racing etc all sell gen 4 downpipes, berk/prime ones seem to be pretty good. Any aftermarket side mount intercooler is better than the stock one and the gen 4 top mount. you can find these on ebay, or those retailers as well. Any mr2 exhaust and b pipe will bolt up to an aftermarket gen 4 down pipe, you can go custom, stock, ebay spec, berk, departure, hks etc
1992 MR2 GT Turbo :twisted: Complete with Traction control!
1997 N/A Honda Civic EK3 :twisted:

:!: Follow me on Instagram :!: https://www.instagram.com/jabeo_waho/
Im still learning a lot about cars so bear with me!

tw2
Area Coordinator - MR2OCNZ
First name: Thomas

Post by tw2 »

Mr2 heaven have a lot of things too but prime seems to have an excellent selection of hybrid bits and pieces.

I quite like the ats top mount intercooler design.
Thomas, 91 G, 05 E55
Area Coordinator Waikato

Jabeo
Club Member - MR2OCNZ

Post by Jabeo »

tw2 wrote:Mr2 heaven have a lot of things too but prime seems to have an excellent selection of hybrid bits and pieces.

I quite like the ats top mount intercooler design.
So do i, i have heard that it really comes into its own pushing past 350 wheel with almost double the volume of the stock intercooler or something like that. I would run it if i ever got to that point, i dont fancy cutting up my boot firewall lol

tw2

Post by tw2 »

Yep much better than a trunk mount. For everyone who isn't familiar, it goes in the stock intake position as far into the "hole" by the fuel fill pipe as possible.

I would do it instead of a side mount at any power level. Their data is impressive. Only a few people ran them on mr2oc before the forum and ownership declined. They had good feedback and I would guess you could replicate the kit for 1/5 of what they are asking ($US1000). The intercooler is on eBay for NZ$200. I think everyone greatly underestimated the amount of air flowing up from the bottom of the engine bay.
Thomas, 91 G, 05 E55
Area Coordinator Waikato

Jabeo
Club Member - MR2OCNZ

Post by Jabeo »

tw2 wrote:Yep much better than a trunk mount. For everyone who isn't familiar, it goes in the stock intake position as far into the "hole" by the fuel fill pipe as possible.

I would do it instead of a side mount at any power level. Their data is impressive. Only a few people ran them on mr2oc before the forum and ownership declined. They had good feedback and I would guess you could replicate the kit for 1/5 of what they are asking ($US1000). The intercooler is on eBay for NZ$200. I think everyone greatly underestimated the amount of air flowing up from the bottom of the engine bay.
i think it looks especially good on gen 4s with the convenient angle of the throttle body on the oem intake. can run really short hot/cold pipes from the turbo to the cooler and TB and frees up some space on the right side too

tw2

Post by tw2 »

Jabeo wrote: i think it looks especially good on gen 4s with the convenient angle of the throttle body on the oem intake. can run really short hot/cold pipes from the turbo to the cooler and TB and frees up some space on the right side too
Have a look at the TB position on the gen 2 3sge and tell me it isn't supposed to be boosted with this style of intercooler.... haha maybe next year.
Thomas, 91 G, 05 E55
Area Coordinator Waikato

Jabeo
Club Member - MR2OCNZ

Post by Jabeo »

tw2 wrote:
Jabeo wrote: i think it looks especially good on gen 4s with the convenient angle of the throttle body on the oem intake. can run really short hot/cold pipes from the turbo to the cooler and TB and frees up some space on the right side too
Have a look at the TB position on the gen 2 3sge and tell me it isn't supposed to be boosted with this style of intercooler.... haha maybe next year.
hahahaha time will tell

Benckj
Forum Moderator - MR2OCNZ
Stomping Ground: Otago
Prime Mover: More than one MR2
First name: Jim

Post by Benckj »

As many gen 4 parts not readily available or cost a bomb to land in NZ my preference would be;

Exhaust- Start with mild steel DP and adapt to your system (ie CT15b or aftermarket turbo exit). Install a wideband port for tunning or at least checking AFR on dyno. Have shop make a 3" exhaust to allow free flow from DP though muffler and out.

Intercooler- run a decent A2W kit with rad up front. Lots of options to build/ manufacture your own components to suit specific design. Also consider a water injection system to not only cool air charge but control detonation. Most important on the gen 4 platform.
Jim Benck
90 rev 1 parts car
98 rev 5 GT- all the mods