Gen 4 wiring

An area for topics concerning SW20's

Moderator: Moderators

Forum rules
This area is dedicated to technical discussions concerning SW20's. Please try to spell correctly because this will help people find information later if they are using search functionality. If you need assistance with your car and want to host a spanner day, please use the appropriate section of the forum: http://mr2.org.nz/phpbb3/viewforum.php?f=35 Thank you.
Mr2fast
Guest of the Club.
Stomping Ground: Taranaki
Prime Mover: SW20
First name: Tom

Gen 4 wiring

Post by Mr2fast »

Would anyone please be able to help me out with the wiring for my gen 4 in to a 91t please? A diagram or any info would be helpful

GDII
Forum Moderator - MR2OCNZ
Stomping Ground: Wellington
First name: Phill

Re: Gen 4 wiring

Post by GDII »

I'd be surprised if anyone has one or is willing to share. I've been looking for the exact same thing for many years with no luck. I do have the intention of creating one for a few versions of the JDM SW20s when I do my swap. But that's on hold for a while.
1990 SW20 MR2 G-Limited (GEN4 3SGTE Installed)
2000 AE111R Corolla Wagon NZ New Daily
1996 AE101R Corolla Sprint NZ New Selling Soon
1990 EP81 Starlet XL (Sold)
1990 EE90 Corolla XL (Sold)
Instagram https://www.instagram.com/sw20glimited/

Jabeo
Club Member - MR2OCNZ
Stomping Ground: Waikato
First name: Jabeo

Post by Jabeo »

GDII wrote:I'd be surprised if anyone has one or is willing to share. I've been looking for the exact same thing for many years with no luck. I do have the intention of creating one for a few versions of the JDM SW20s when I do my swap. But that's on hold for a while.
Theres a guy in auckland who just recently completed a gen 4 swap into his sw, i can hit him up and see how he got the wiring done
1992 MR2 GT Turbo :twisted: Complete with Traction control!
1997 N/A Honda Civic EK3 :twisted:

:!: Follow me on Instagram :!: https://www.instagram.com/jabeo_waho/
Im still learning a lot about cars so bear with me!

Mr2fast
Guest of the Club.
Stomping Ground: Taranaki
First name: Tom

Post by Mr2fast »

Jabeo wrote:
GDII wrote:I'd be surprised if anyone has one or is willing to share. I've been looking for the exact same thing for many years with no luck. I do have the intention of creating one for a few versions of the JDM SW20s when I do my swap. But that's on hold for a while.
Theres a guy in auckland who just recently completed a gen 4 swap into his sw, i can hit him up and see how he got the wiring done
Yeah bro please

tw2
Area Coordinator - MR2OCNZ
First name: Thomas

Post by tw2 »

I am guessing the wiring diagrams are not available for gen 4 cars? Caldina?
Thomas, 91 G, 05 E55
Area Coordinator Waikato

GDII

Post by GDII »

The diagrams are but what needs changed to make each SW20 model work has never been listed or shown. Each car is different slightly but I believe it is mostly to do with fuel and the circuit opening relay. I do have access to a GEN4 loom and with my knowledge of the JDM 3SGE and 3SGTE wiring I could figure it out but I just don't have the time right now with other things going on. :)

Jabeo
Club Member - MR2OCNZ
First name: Jabeo

Post by Jabeo »

GDII wrote:The diagrams are but what needs changed to make each SW20 model work has never been listed or shown. Each car is different slightly but I believe it is mostly to do with fuel and the circuit opening relay. I do have access to a GEN4 loom and with my knowledge of the JDM 3SGE and 3SGTE wiring I could figure it out but I just don't have the time right now with other things going on. :)
well once you do ill be sure to be following along as i think thats the direction im heading in the future lol
1992 MR2 GT Turbo :twisted: Complete with Traction control!
1997 N/A Honda Civic EK3 :twisted:

:!: Follow me on Instagram :!: https://www.instagram.com/jabeo_waho/
Im still learning a lot about cars so bear with me!

tw2
Area Coordinator - MR2OCNZ
First name: Thomas

Post by tw2 »

I wired a megasquirt into my old ST185 using only the BGB. It should be fairly do-able with the caldina wiring diagram. 80% of it will be matching wires. The rest will involve working out what the gen 4 ecu needs to see to stay happy. Prime does wiring conversion harnesses for anyone who can't be bothered. Otherwise an aftermarket ecu would be simpler.
Thomas, 91 G, 05 E55
Area Coordinator Waikato

Benckj
Stomping Ground: Otago
Prime Mover: More than one MR2
First name: Jim

Post by Benckj »

I helped a friend wire in a gen 4 around 8 years ago. It wasn't too bad following the ECU pin-outs. Only real issue was the duel stage fuel pump run so we wired it to full on and left as is.
Jim Benck
90 rev 1 parts car
98 rev 5 GT- all the mods

GDII

Post by GDII »

Benckj wrote:I helped a friend wire in a gen 4 around 8 years ago. It wasn't too bad following the ECU pin-outs. Only real issue was the duel stage fuel pump run so we wired it to full on and left as is.
Most people do that anyway and the NA cars have no choice but to run this system unless you go to the effort of changing the body loom which is no fun.
I'm sure it isn't that hard but as I don't know what is involved or done it myself yet so it's sort of a mystery. I've done a turbo to NA swap before but that was MR2 to MR2 rather than Caldina to MR2.