Rough idle, hesitation issues

An area for topics concerning SW20's

Moderator: Moderators

Forum rules
This area is dedicated to technical discussions concerning SW20's. Please try to spell correctly because this will help people find information later if they are using search functionality. If you need assistance with your car and want to host a spanner day, please use the appropriate section of the forum: http://mr2.org.nz/phpbb3/viewforum.php?f=35 Thank you.
tulsamcclaine
Club Member - MR2OCNZ
Stomping Ground: Auckland
Prime Mover: SW20
First name: Joe

Rough idle, hesitation issues

Post by tulsamcclaine »

Last edited by tulsamcclaine on Sun Mar 05, 2023 7:22 am, edited 1 time in total.

Benckj
Forum Moderator - MR2OCNZ
Stomping Ground: Otago
Prime Mover: More than one MR2
First name: Jim

Re: Rough idle, hesitation issues

Post by Benckj »

Could be any number of things but common faults like this include water in plug wells, poor ground connections, oil inside distributor cap, faulty ignition wires, bad plugs, etc. There are also fuel/air related issues that can be hard to trace but generally if the problem comes and goes it is ignition related.

Depending on what maintenance has been done I'd start by replacing the plugs and inspecting wires & distributor for faults.
Jim Benck
90 rev 1 parts car
98 rev 5 GT- all the mods

rajkumar
Club Member - MR2OCNZ
First name: Omkar

Post by rajkumar »

Likely a rooted dizzy. Do a full tune up: Dizzy rotor & cap, HT leads, spark plugs, oils. Pull the intake plenum off and give it a clean, make sure the ACIS isn't stuck on. Your bad fuel economy is likely due to a bad O2 sensor (doesn't always throw a code). If it smells like petrol, even when warm, this is likely the problem.

The other thing is, I seem to remember the car you bought having significantly high k's (220+?? 250+??). While it's not necessarily high for the age, yes I agree, but objectively it makes the probability that the engine is tired much more likely. So, another thing to consider is that the engine just hasn't been looked after and is low on compression (likely due to worn valve stem seals and/or worn piston rings). Take off your oil cap, and take a whiff - if it smells like fuel, bad news dude. It's worth getting a compression tester (~$50 for okay ones) and giving it a check.
too many cars

tulsamcclaine
Club Member - MR2OCNZ
First name: Joe

Post by tulsamcclaine »

Last edited by tulsamcclaine on Sun Mar 05, 2023 7:22 am, edited 1 time in total.

Alsw20
Club Member - MR2OCNZ
Stomping Ground: Christchurch
First name: Al

Post by Alsw20 »

tulsamcclaine wrote:NGK Platinum spark plugs Toyota MR2 mk2 2.0L 3SGE 1989-2000 () x 1
Ouch. I have a new spare set of NGK BKR6E's pre gapped to 1.1mm that I could have sent you for $20 incl post.