Gen 3 3sgte Hose from hell

An area for topics concerning SW20's

Moderator: Moderators

Forum rules
This area is dedicated to technical discussions concerning SW20's. Please try to spell correctly because this will help people find information later if they are using search functionality. If you need assistance with your car and want to host a spanner day, please use the appropriate section of the forum: http://mr2.org.nz/phpbb3/viewforum.php?f=35 Thank you.
4CylinderSpecial
Club Member - MR2OCNZ
Stomping Ground: Auckland
Prime Mover: SW20
First name: Levi

Gen 3 3sgte Hose from hell

Post by 4CylinderSpecial »

Is it as hard as the gen 2 to replace considering the oil cooler is in a different place? Considering doing this soon on my 3rd gen and trying to figure out how much of a pain this is going to be.

Benckj
Forum Moderator - MR2OCNZ
Stomping Ground: Otago
Prime Mover: More than one MR2
First name: Jim

Re: Gen 3 3sgte Hose from hell

Post by Benckj »

I've done it and is a little easier than a gen 2. Still need to pull DP off if your running OEM and remove oil cooler. A 90 deg long nose pliers help as well as an inspection mirror. Don't forget to do the HFHOE while you have apart! Both hoses are attached to the oil cooler which will require a new O ring when installing (tricky to get right).

Pic of mine when I pulled engine a couple of years ago. Had already replaced both hoses before removing engine.
Attachments
IMG_0835.JPG
Jim Benck
90 rev 1 parts car
98 rev 5 GT- all the mods

GDII
Stomping Ground: Wellington
First name: Phill

Post by GDII »

4CylinderSpecial wrote:Is it as hard as the gen 2 to replace considering the oil cooler is in a different place? Considering doing this soon on my 3rd gen and trying to figure out how much of a pain this is going to be.
Oil cooler is in the same place. Oil filter is not.
The HFH is still the same general place but instead of it being a straight piece it is curved. Probably just as hard to get to though. The HFHOE is different to the GEN2 as it connects to the block rather than the water pump. Still under the water pump so hard to get to.

Image 2 is GEN2 3SGTE and image 3 is GEN3 3SGTE.
http://jp-carparts.com/toyota/partlist. ... 5&fig=1603
1990 SW20 MR2 G-Limited (GEN4 3SGTE Installed)
2000 AE111R Corolla Wagon NZ New Daily
1996 AE101R Corolla Sprint NZ New Selling Soon
1990 EP81 Starlet XL (Sold)
1990 EE90 Corolla XL (Sold)
Instagram https://www.instagram.com/sw20glimited/

4CylinderSpecial
Club Member - MR2OCNZ
Stomping Ground: Auckland
First name: Levi

Post by 4CylinderSpecial »

Awesome thanks guys! Makes a lot of sense. Perhaps this would be easier with the engine out of the car which many people seem to do. My timing belt definitely needs to be changed and a general overhaul would be welcome.

Benckj
Stomping Ground: Otago
Prime Mover: More than one MR2
First name: Jim

Post by Benckj »

If you have a few jobs to do best bet is dropping engine. Gather up the parts, tools and information to hit all at once. When I dropped mine for 100km service I did the cam belt, bearings , water pump, clutch, turbo, clutch slave and CV axle cages. With that add a few seals and new fluids.
Jim Benck
90 rev 1 parts car
98 rev 5 GT- all the mods