Suspension Control Arms

An area for topics concerning SW20's

Moderator: Moderators

Forum rules
This area is dedicated to technical discussions concerning SW20's. Please try to spell correctly because this will help people find information later if they are using search functionality. If you need assistance with your car and want to host a spanner day, please use the appropriate section of the forum: http://mr2.org.nz/phpbb3/viewforum.php?f=35 Thank you.
MR2SIK
Guest of the Club.
Stomping Ground: Christchurch
Prime Mover: SW20
First name: Sean

Suspension Control Arms

Post by MR2SIK »

Hi All,
Got pinged on a WOF today for 'All Suspension Track Control Arms LVV Required'

to be fair, the arms are bright red and look adjustable, but I never really took any notice of them previously as they never got mentioned/ caused any issues since I've had the car.
Is this something thats changed legalities recently? The car has been holed up in the garage for the last couple of years due to a bung fuel pump and new parenting duties meant I never got round to sorting it until now. But it passed WOF's no issues previously.

Picking the easiest solution is to swap them out for factory ones. Are they the same on Turbo models as on NA? and are they easy enough to do for a relatively novice enthusiast? like unbolt, remove, reinsert factory part, re bolt? nothing under immense tension etc that would fly apart if I undid anything?

Cheers.

GDII
Forum Moderator - MR2OCNZ
Stomping Ground: Wellington
First name: Phill

Re: Suspension Control Arms

Post by GDII »

Which arms are these? Most parts were adjustable from the factory but if they are not OEM the quality of the part unknown and could be an issue.

The arms are the same for NA and turbo but they changed the suspension a bit in December 1991 so depending on the car you have you'll need to find the correct parts.
1990 SW20 MR2 G-Limited (GEN4 3SGTE Installed)
2000 AE111R Corolla Wagon NZ New Daily
1996 AE101R Corolla Sprint NZ New Selling Soon
1990 EP81 Starlet XL (Sold)
1990 EE90 Corolla XL (Sold)
Instagram https://www.instagram.com/sw20glimited/

tw2
Area Coordinator - MR2OCNZ
Stomping Ground: Waikato
First name: Thomas

Post by tw2 »

As Phill said, there are two different front arms for example, one adjustable, one not. Rear trailing arms are adjustable. Lower control arms are not, that I am aware of. They are all somewhat easy to change but you might want new bushings which are a pain to change, have a shop press them out/in. Just standard hand tools required, breaker bar, 1/2" socket set and a torque wrench.
Thomas, 91 G, 05 E55
Area Coordinator Waikato

MR2SIK
Guest of the Club.
First name: Sean

Post by MR2SIK »

Got a couple of pictures below.
My first thought was it was the red(ish) ones that were the issue, but when I went back to VTNZ for clarification, they mentioned the adjustable ones, which I thought were stock?
Anyone able to shed some light on whether those red ones need replacing or not? and if the adjustable ones front and back are indeed stock?
I don't really want to fork out for replacement bits if unnecessary.

Cheers.

Rear Arm

Front Arm

tw2
Area Coordinator - MR2OCNZ
Stomping Ground: Waikato
First name: Thomas

Post by tw2 »

That front arm is aftermarket. There was no spherical bearing used in the stock arm as far as I know. However there is a spherical bearing in the stock rear trailing arm (the arm for adjusting toe).

This is the stock rear setup with prothane bushing kit. As you can see there is stock adjustability in the same arm you pictured above.
IMG_2524.jpg
IMG_2524.jpg (67.65 KiB) Viewed 1401 times
Thomas, 91 G, 05 E55
Area Coordinator Waikato

GDII
Forum Moderator - MR2OCNZ
Stomping Ground: Wellington
First name: Phill

Post by GDII »

Yeah not stock but I'd say the purpose of the bearing at the front is not adjustability but to have a solid bush that doesn't flex or bind up.
The stock rear one as shown in TW2s photo is adjustable where it connects to the other arm, but not at the front.2
The issue might be that they are an unknown product. See below for more info.

This document provides some information on adjustable suspension from LVVTA. Page 15. I'm not sure how it relates to a non certified vehicle though.
https://www.lvvta.org.nz/documents/stan ... ystems.pdf
1990 SW20 MR2 G-Limited (GEN4 3SGTE Installed)
2000 AE111R Corolla Wagon NZ New Daily
1996 AE101R Corolla Sprint NZ New Selling Soon
1990 EP81 Starlet XL (Sold)
1990 EE90 Corolla XL (Sold)
Instagram https://www.instagram.com/sw20glimited/

Alsw20
Club Member - MR2OCNZ
First name: Al

Post by Alsw20 »

Pick A Part has a red SW20 in there at the moment. Last time I was there it still looked reasonably complete. This was about a month ago.