What parts would you recommend for fuel tank refurb?

An area for topics concerning SW20's

Moderator: Moderators

Forum rules
This area is dedicated to technical discussions concerning SW20's. Please try to spell correctly because this will help people find information later if they are using search functionality. If you need assistance with your car and want to host a spanner day, please use the appropriate section of the forum: http://mr2.org.nz/phpbb3/viewforum.php?f=35 Thank you.
tw2
Area Coordinator - MR2OCNZ
Stomping Ground: Waikato
Prime Mover: SW20
First name: Thomas

What parts would you recommend for fuel tank refurb?

Post by tw2 »

I can't find much info on this, I have a walbro needing to go in and my tank has some surface rust on the outside. I will repaint it with the miracle paint to inactivate the rust on the outside but what parts should be replaced pro-actively during the job?

I have read the the pump hanger bracket is often severely rusted on top. I believe they are still available- prime driven has them but it is much more expensive than online toyota parts sellers US$129 vs $80. https://primedriven.com/collections/fue ... d-line-oem
From what I can find, the part numbers are- fuel pump bracket 23206-74560 and gasket 77169-17010. Does anyone know if the bracket from toyota includes the wiring and lines? Any other lines that should be replaced? I can see my fuel feed is rusty. Fuel filter has been replaced already.
Thomas, 91 G, 05 E55
Area Coordinator Waikato

Benckj
Forum Moderator - MR2OCNZ
Stomping Ground: Otago
Prime Mover: More than one MR2
First name: Jim

Re: What parts would you recommend for fuel tank refurb?

Post by Benckj »

Hard to say what condition everything is in from the external inspection. Really need to pull apart and give it a good visual look through to assess what your happy with keeping. The big one is the tank as often once it starts to go there is very little to stop it.

When I pulled my tank for PF replacement everything looked pristine. This may be from using 10% methanol or simply lack of corrosion in Central Otago. As part of an upgrade I replaced the supply line (AN10) from OEM pump bracket directly to the fuel filter. Did much the same on the return hose (6mm). Now I have less restriction but main reason was to allow a disconnect point as I built an access hatch into tunnel so I would never have to drop tank again!
Jim Benck
90 rev 1 parts car
98 rev 5 GT- all the mods

tw2
Area Coordinator - MR2OCNZ
Stomping Ground: Waikato
Prime Mover: SW20
First name: Thomas

Re: What parts would you recommend for fuel tank refurb?

Post by tw2 »

I'll get the parts above as there is a high chance they are toast and then assess anything further once it is out. I can always order a tank kit from POR-15 if needed, hopefully the inside is good. I can probably do a bunch of jobs at the same time if I need to wait for parts.

I was thinking it would be nice to have an access hatch below the arm rest. Do you have a link Jim? Thanks.
Thomas, 91 G, 05 E55
Area Coordinator Waikato