Cracked T-top

An area for topics concerning SW20's

Moderator: Moderators

Forum rules
This area is dedicated to technical discussions concerning SW20's. Please try to spell correctly because this will help people find information later if they are using search functionality. If you need assistance with your car and want to host a spanner day, please use the appropriate section of the forum: http://mr2.org.nz/phpbb3/viewforum.php?f=35 Thank you.
Arabellap
Guest of the Club.
Stomping Ground: Otago
Prime Mover: SW20
First name: Bella

Cracked T-top

Post by Arabellap »

Hi,

Recently bought my first MR2 - a 1990 G-Limited T-top which I feel like I overpaid for after seeing the condition of the weatherstripping. A previous owner has tried (and failed) to fix the cracked and worn rubber with some sort of silicone but it still leaks in the rain, probably due to the crack. Unsure of how to proceed with fixing this problem - my options are to replace the t-tops themselves (about $400 and still questionable condition) - also may be unhelpful as the problem extends past the t-tops, replace the rubber seal (maybe $500 for the upper seal and t-top seal - though Toyota quoted me almost $800 for the parts alone!), or try another silicone/glue/adhesive sort of fix which doesn't seem hopeful given the huge crack and the horrible previous attempt.

Any help would be appreciated!
60685232_478758356197066_1922416508307243008_n.jpg
60704174_1815576315208467_5390787064377638912_n.jpg

GDII
Forum Moderator - MR2OCNZ
Stomping Ground: Wellington
First name: Phill

Re: Cracked T-top

Post by GDII »

Hmmm that looks like you'll either need to remove all the sealant and start again with the repair or get new seals. That's quite a bad job of trying to fix it and now the door glass doesn't have a uniform surface to seal to.

The normal fix is to fill the gap between the t-top panel and car rubber only in the last 50mm or so at the outer edge of the car. The rubber shrinks as it gets older so pulls away from each other creating the gap.
1990 SW20 MR2 G-Limited (GEN4 3SGTE Installed)
2000 AE111R Corolla Wagon NZ New Daily
1996 AE101R Corolla Sprint NZ New Selling Soon
1990 EP81 Starlet XL (Sold)
1990 EE90 Corolla XL (Sold)
Instagram https://www.instagram.com/sw20glimited/

ClanFever
Executive Officer - MR2OCNZ
First name: Olaf

Post by ClanFever »

Welcome to MR2 ownership, Bella... and to mr2 issues...
GDII wrote:Hmmm that looks like you'll either need to remove all the sealant and start again with the repair or get new seals. That's quite a bad job of trying to fix it and now the door glass doesn't have a uniform surface to seal to.

The normal fix is to fill the gap between the t-top panel and car rubber only in the last 50mm or so at the outer edge of the car. The rubber shrinks as it gets older so pulls away from each other creating the gap.
Black silicone and glad wrap trick has worked wonders on all the t-tops you have worked on for me Phil :lol: :lol:
Arabellap wrote:Hi,

Recently bought my first MR2 - a 1990 G-Limited T-top which I feel like I overpaid for after seeing the condition of the weatherstripping.
May we ask what you paid for it? They're quite rare these days and going for a bit. I don't think the weatherstripping condition should change your view on if the car was worth it - if it does, you'll be thoroughly disappointed once some common mr2 issues start coming up. The fix mentioned above won't even set you back $50, just a bit of your time. There is a tutorial with pictures on the forum here somewhere, might have to try dig it out
Ex-President & Wellington Area Coordinator & Lower North MR2 Leader
Current: 1992 Toyota MR2 G-Limited with Gen 4 3S-GTE + CT20B (APEXED), 2005 Toyota IST, 2008 Toyota Vanguard - 2GR!
Past: 1990 Toyota MR2 G-Limited, "Semi Parts Car" 1991 Toyota MR2 G-Limited, '91 G-Limited, '89 G-Limited, '91 NZ New MR2, '91 G-Limited, '91 GT (Parts Car), '99 Altezza 3SGE, '98 Altezza 1GFE, '88 Corolla, '96 Curren, '94 Ceres Corolla, '94 Levin, '90 Hiace Super Custom 4x4, '91 Mirage, '93 MX-6 J-Spec, '91 Familia, '91 Galant, '90 Navara, '96 Commodore, '94 Pajero, '89 Lancer, '93 Pajero, '92 Pajero, '89 Mirage, '92 Terrano, '87 Familia, '03 Colt, '91 Pajero, '91 Pajero, '97 Carib, '96 Carina, '02 Turbo Forester

Benckj
Prime Mover: More than one MR2
First name: Jim

Post by Benckj »

The silicone fix isn't quite what was required for window seal. Rather than using silicone a re-alignment of the window should have been done. To repair now I'd look at getting the proper window seals even if they are second hand, adjust window tilt and only use silicone on leading edge of t-top seals.
Jim Benck
90 rev 1 parts car
98 rev 5 GT- all the mods

Arabellap
Guest of the Club.
First name: Bella

Post by Arabellap »

Thanks for the help, everyone!
ClanFever wrote:
May we ask what you paid for it? They're quite rare these days and going for a bit.
The asking price was originally $3500 which I thought was still quite a bit for an auto compared to other MR2's I've seen, talked it down to $3200. I don't think any less of the car itself for what I paid - merely the dodgy previous owner(s). Multiple factory interior parts like the overhead light and the double din were missing, and the seller had not told me that the headlights and the heater were not working. It also hadn't had an oil filter change in the entirety of his ownership and whoever did the respray had just ripped bits off the car and done quite a shoddy job if you look closely.

Despite all these things I only found after buying the car (the seller did not tell me about the repairs that would need doing), I will still love this car and it will be my project over the next few years to get everything up to a good standard :)

I have found a cheap(ish) replacement seal and will try to get that put on as soon as possible to remedy the problem.

Benckj
Prime Mover: More than one MR2
First name: Jim

Post by Benckj »

If you like it , that’s all that matters. We are here to help with any problems and possibly advise on parts required. Safety is always the first priority including tyres, suspension & brakes then comes basic maintenance. Get this stuff done before moving on to mods or creature comforts.
Jim Benck
90 rev 1 parts car
98 rev 5 GT- all the mods

ClanFever
Executive Officer - MR2OCNZ
First name: Olaf

Post by ClanFever »

That's basically the minimum for these cars nowadays, no idea how they are still legal in the 2kcup :lol: :lol:

Yes, like Jim says, we are here if you need help. You might even be able to find a local member willing to give you a hand with any replacement or adjustments you need for this job, and any others you may find.
Ex-President & Wellington Area Coordinator & Lower North MR2 Leader
Current: 1992 Toyota MR2 G-Limited with Gen 4 3S-GTE + CT20B (APEXED), 2005 Toyota IST, 2008 Toyota Vanguard - 2GR!
Past: 1990 Toyota MR2 G-Limited, "Semi Parts Car" 1991 Toyota MR2 G-Limited, '91 G-Limited, '89 G-Limited, '91 NZ New MR2, '91 G-Limited, '91 GT (Parts Car), '99 Altezza 3SGE, '98 Altezza 1GFE, '88 Corolla, '96 Curren, '94 Ceres Corolla, '94 Levin, '90 Hiace Super Custom 4x4, '91 Mirage, '93 MX-6 J-Spec, '91 Familia, '91 Galant, '90 Navara, '96 Commodore, '94 Pajero, '89 Lancer, '93 Pajero, '92 Pajero, '89 Mirage, '92 Terrano, '87 Familia, '03 Colt, '91 Pajero, '91 Pajero, '97 Carib, '96 Carina, '02 Turbo Forester