Advice re. wet weather

An area for topics concerning SW20's

Moderator: Moderators

Forum rules
This area is dedicated to technical discussions concerning SW20's. Please try to spell correctly because this will help people find information later if they are using search functionality. If you need assistance with your car and want to host a spanner day, please use the appropriate section of the forum: http://mr2.org.nz/phpbb3/viewforum.php?f=35 Thank you.
JKH
Guest of the Club.
Stomping Ground: Manawatu
Prime Mover: SW20
First name: Julia

Re: Advice re. wet weather

Post by JKH »

I'm being careful, promise. Unfortunately right now, having wisdom teeth extracted is taking precedence over tyres. I am looking forward to the day that I can get the 'most' out of the MR2, for sure :)

tw2
Area Coordinator - MR2OCNZ
Stomping Ground: Waikato
First name: Thomas

Post by tw2 »

Sounds painful hope it goes well.
Thomas, 91 G, 05 E55
Area Coordinator Waikato

JKH
Guest of the Club.

Post by JKH »

Hey people,
So I'm back on this old thread, as I've now almost hit my savings goal finally, enabling me to turn my attention to the car.

I've been trying to educate myself a little bit about it, since even though everything got way better after the correct alignment, it is still quite twitchy, especially at open road speeds. I've read that they're always a bit twitchy, but I'm wondering if the wheels on it are making it excessively so.
Since they're all the same size and width, and not staggered, am I correct in thinking that this is messing with the suspension geometry? After all, the original wheels are just the little 14s and the current wheels are 16s. I believe the suspension is all factory stuff. Plus I saw something somewhere about how if the wheels are all the same width, the front ones can sometimes end up technically sitting wider than the rear?

As far as I know (and as far as I can trust my mechanic), all the suspension components are in good condition. It's going in for a WOF in the next week or so, so I guess that'll help confirm this.

So all of that rambling aside, since I'm going to replace the tyres, I'm wondering if I should just go with the original wheels. I know nobody does a decent tyre for 14s anymore, but if the 16s are messing up how it rides, should I really be spending the money to get the fancy tyres when it might still not feel that great? Unless just changing tyres makes that huge of a difference.

The tyres on it are still the garbage ones from back when I started this thread, but to be completely honest, unless they're what's causing it to feel bad, I've actually had no issues with using them. Would it be a folly to get a set of supercats or similar on the original wheels?
Sorry if I sound like a total noob, I'm trying my best :)

GDII
Forum Moderator - MR2OCNZ
Stomping Ground: Wellington
First name: Phill

Post by GDII »

Supercats are scary in the wet. I have them on my Corolla and they are only 2-3 years old. Don't do it!!

What size are your wheels, as in width? I ran 15x6.5+45 all round for a very long time but with 225/50R15 and 205/55R15 so they were staggered. I never had any twitchy feelings on these with stock or modified suspension. Tyres do change how are car feels.

If you have the money then try go for a set of 16 RE003.
205/45R16 front Or a 205/50R16 could work too. It will just fit under the spring perch.
215/50R6 or 225/50R16. I was sure they had a 45 profile in wider 16s. Maybe someone else makes a 225/45R16. Quickly looking, doesn't seem like it. Only race tyres.

Right now the 205 and 225 are buy one get one half price so buy 3 and get one free.
Last edited by GDII on Tue Jun 30, 2020 9:26 am, edited 2 times in total.
1990 SW20 MR2 G-Limited (GEN4 3SGTE Installed)
2000 AE111R Corolla Wagon NZ New Daily
1996 AE101R Corolla Sprint NZ New Selling Soon
1990 EP81 Starlet XL (Sold)
1990 EE90 Corolla XL (Sold)
Instagram https://www.instagram.com/sw20glimited/

JKH
Guest of the Club.

Post by JKH »

Aha, thanks - I will steer clear of the supercats!
The 16s are all 7" wide. I was originally planning on the RE003s. So running the different sized tyres can mitigate the fact that the wheels are all the same size? The current tyres are set up this way with the bigger ones on the rear but I wasn't sure if it was making much of a difference.

I wonder how long they run the deal for - I'm about to hit my main savings goal but will still be a couple months before I can get tyres. It seems like they bring the deal back every few months?

GDII

Post by GDII »

Yeah they are not for an MR2! Good rubber is your friend!

With them all 7" that will be fine for different size tyres. Not the best but I never had issues running 6.5 all round. Just looked odd.
What size tyres do you have right now? And make and model? I forget if this was mentioned earlier.

They do bring the deal back but it rotates though models and sizes.
205/50 are cheaper than the 205/45. Might be a better deal. Currently that is $855.90 which is a great deal for what these tyre are. I've run mine for 3 years as a daily and a track day and my rears are little on the low side but I have 215/40R17 and 245/40R17. Rears always wear out twice as fast as the fronts.

Fronts. 14 to 16s
https://www.willtheyfit.com/index.php?w ... offset2=45
Rears. 14 to 16s
https://www.willtheyfit.com/index.php?w ... offset2=45

JKH
Guest of the Club.

Post by JKH »

I had to go back through this thread to find the info about the current tyres (that's how much I don't want to go outside to check, lol).
So, embarrassingly - the fronts are Goodrides, 205/50, and the rears are Triangles, 225/50.

It sucks, but I am being super disciplined with saving, and I am completely not letting myself get these tyres until I can afford them with cash. It's so tempting to just go do it - especially since I have the money right there right now - but I just can't. So I'll deal with the twitches until I either have the money or until they come back on the deal. I usually just run around town so hopefully will be ok until then. Mainly I just wanted to double check that I really should go for the best that I can with the 16s, so I can make sure I have enough :)

GDII

Post by GDII »

I understand. The RE003 are great all round tyre and are so much better than what you have now. They will be the main cause of the issues I believe as nothing Goodride or Triangle will have good wet grip characteristics.

JKH
Guest of the Club.

Post by JKH »

Good good. I feel more confident about it now. After seeing some stuff about the suspension I wasn't sure if simply having the bigger wheels was messing up the feel of the car, since nothing else was changed with the suspension etc.
Do the MK1 SW20s just feel like they twitch a lot through the steering? It's fine just running along a smooth surface but the second you hit a manhole or whatever...

GDII

Post by GDII »

The REV1 89-91 do have a more twitchy handling characteristic but normally that's only near the edge of grip. However, when you hit a wet man hole, barely any tyre will stick to it so with the suspension geometry having some toe in on the rear wheels, the wheel with grip will make the car skip a little sideways. Mine does it and even though it's a 1990 is has full 1992+ suspension. Even my AE101 Corolla hatch does it. It's on Supercats and it's sketchy! My 2005 Mazda Demio does it too. It's sort of a normal thing when you hit a wet surface with no grip on it.

JKH
Guest of the Club.

Post by JKH »

Hm that definitely sounds like it makes sense, in the wet. How about in the dry though? Mine likes to twitch around no matter the weather. Mainly I just feel this in the steering, don't notice it as a passenger.

GlanzaAtHeart
Club Member - MR2OCNZ
Stomping Ground: Auckland
First name: Thomas

Post by GlanzaAtHeart »

Stick with GDII's advice, go for RE003's. They are currently on sale too, buy one get one half price, about 800 for a full set fitted in 17" for me (215, 235 combo).

Nankang NS20's are supposedly good, and cheap, however I have these now on my 92' turbo and honestly don't rate them in the wet. I can spin my back wheels, in 2nd gear going 50 on a damp on ramp to the motorway, not fun, very scary.

Hyperdrive also have 20% off tyres at the moment, some good deals there, but their fitting price can be quite pricey.
89' SW20 GT w/ Gen 4 3SGTE
13.2 @ 107mph

"man this thing drives like ass" - Sun Tzu, probably

GDII

Post by GDII »

Maybe get someone else in the club with an MR2 to drive it and let them tell you if it's normal or not. You are heading out for the next run aren't you? The MR2 puts lots of feedback through the steering wheel making them feel how they do. It's really good as a lot of cars dfeel dead in the steering and have no character or feel fun at all.
GlanzaAtHeart wrote:
Tue Jun 30, 2020 1:05 pm
Stick with GDII's advice, go for RE003's. They are currently on sale too, buy one get one half price, about 800 for a full set fitted in 17" for me (215, 235 combo).

Nankang NS20's are supposedly good, and cheap, however I have these now on my 92' turbo and honestly don't rate them in the wet. I can spin my back wheels, in 2nd gear going 50 on a damp on ramp to the motorway, not fun, very scary.

Hyperdrive also have 20% off tyres at the moment, some good deals there, but their fitting price can be quite pricey.
You can get 235/40R17 in RE003? The 45 profile is far too big IMO. The 245/40R17 is smaller in diameter.
You won't find RE003 from anyone but Bridgestone or Tonys Tyres.
Sounds like the NS20s are a bit lacking.

JKH
Guest of the Club.

Post by JKH »

That's a good idea - if anyone wants to volunteer to drive it to let me know! :)
It might just be that I've been driving my partner's car a bit lately (older Outback) which is so smooth that it's almost a bizarre contrast. Not in a bad way though - honestly I'm much more comfortable in the MR2, especially not hauling around so much empty space, lol.

GDII

Post by GDII »

Yes. They are completely different cars. See how you get on with letting someone test drive it and report back. Keen to hear how it goes, unfortunately I won't be able to make it.