Advice re. wet weather

An area for topics concerning SW20's

Moderator: Moderators

Forum rules
This area is dedicated to technical discussions concerning SW20's. Please try to spell correctly because this will help people find information later if they are using search functionality. If you need assistance with your car and want to host a spanner day, please use the appropriate section of the forum: http://mr2.org.nz/phpbb3/viewforum.php?f=35 Thank you.
tw2
Area Coordinator - MR2OCNZ
Stomping Ground: Waikato
Prime Mover: SW20
First name: Thomas

Re: Advice re. wet weather

Post by tw2 »

I think my Re003's are 205\50\16 and 225\50\16. They have a larger diameter than stock but comfortable and perform well.
Thomas, 91 G, 05 E55
Area Coordinator Waikato

GlanzaAtHeart
Club Member - MR2OCNZ
Stomping Ground: Auckland
Prime Mover: SW20
First name: Thomas

Re: Advice re. wet weather

Post by GlanzaAtHeart »

GDII wrote:
Tue Jun 30, 2020 1:20 pm
Maybe get someone else in the club with an MR2 to drive it and let them tell you if it's normal or not. You are heading out for the next run aren't you? The MR2 puts lots of feedback through the steering wheel making them feel how they do. It's really good as a lot of cars dfeel dead in the steering and have no character or feel fun at all.
GlanzaAtHeart wrote:
Tue Jun 30, 2020 1:05 pm
Stick with GDII's advice, go for RE003's. They are currently on sale too, buy one get one half price, about 800 for a full set fitted in 17" for me (215, 235 combo).

Nankang NS20's are supposedly good, and cheap, however I have these now on my 92' turbo and honestly don't rate them in the wet. I can spin my back wheels, in 2nd gear going 50 on a damp on ramp to the motorway, not fun, very scary.

Hyperdrive also have 20% off tyres at the moment, some good deals there, but their fitting price can be quite pricey.
You can get 235/40R17 in RE003? The 45 profile is far too big IMO. The 245/40R17 is smaller in diameter.
You won't find RE003 from anyone but Bridgestone or Tonys Tyres.
Sounds like the NS20s are a bit lacking.

Hmm had a double check, yeah only in 45 profile, not 40 for 235s. Might have to go 245s.

Hyperdrive don't stock RE003, but their Pilot Sport 4s for a set of 4 worked out to be $935 for a set of 4 fitted, which while pricey, is a better tyre for a pretty good deal for high end tyres.

My only complaint with RE003s is the road noise, and they don't last that long comparitively with other high performance tyres. Road noise for me is the killer, but I can live with it, considering they're cheap for the performance you get.
89' SW20 GT w/ Gen 4 3SGTE
13.2 @ 107mph

"man this thing drives like ass" - Sun Tzu, probably