Advice re. wet weather

An area for topics concerning SW20's

Moderator: Moderators

Forum rules
This area is dedicated to technical discussions concerning SW20's. Please try to spell correctly because this will help people find information later if they are using search functionality. If you need assistance with your car and want to host a spanner day, please use the appropriate section of the forum: http://mr2.org.nz/phpbb3/viewforum.php?f=35 Thank you.
JKH
Guest of the Club.
Stomping Ground: Manawatu
Prime Mover: SW20
First name: Julia

Advice re. wet weather

Post by JKH »

Hi guys. Hoping for some reassurance. Sorry if this has already been covered extensively or anything, I couldn't find a general consensus online.

I just bought my first MR2, a 91 auto. I'm not looking to go fast, just to have something interesting and fun to drive.
I did do my research about them beforehand, and an ex-partner of mine had a 91 turbo for a number of years, driven daily, which I remember being much fun.

I had no problems driving it home from Auckland to Palmerston North, it was fun as I'd expected. Then this weekend I had my first proper wet weather experience. I know obviously they can be hairy in the wet, but I guess I'd assumed that was if you were pushing it - either stupidly, or on a track. Not driving normally. I was doing the speed limit on a straight open road, and any time a slick patch came along (like bare tar on the road from wear) it was like grip suddenly vanished for a moment until I was past the slick. I've never experienced anything like it before. Had the same issue again today while driving around the city - only on slick spots, like arrows painted on the road. I promise I wasn't braking weirdly, or anything like that.

I guess I'm hoping for someone to tell me it's probably a tyre issue - has very old Bridgestone Potenzas of some description on the back, not sure what kind, apparently tread is still good. I don't know too much about tyres really, only that it pays to have good ones.

Opinions? Feeling pretty disillusioned, someone please reassure me :(

4CylinderSpecial
Club Member - MR2OCNZ
Stomping Ground: Auckland
First name: Levi

Re: Advice re. wet weather

Post by 4CylinderSpecial »

Hey. First things first is that the handling of these cars are heavily affected by what tyre you run. So definitely take off your old ones and swap out with some new tyres. Also look at an alignment. That should be enough to make you feel confident in the wet again.

JKH
Guest of the Club.

Post by JKH »

Thanks, that makes me feel better. I didn't realize handling would be so affected by tyres. I'll go see about getting some new ones for it.

Not sure if this is the right place to ask, since I know there's tons of info regarding a million different tyres (and I don't want to be annoying), but for everyday type driving and grip during wet conditions, is there something that's specifically recommended? A friend of mine suggested RE003s or similar but since I'm not particularly knowledgeable regarding tyres...

Thanks again :)

Benckj
Forum Moderator - MR2OCNZ
Stomping Ground: Otago
Prime Mover: More than one MR2
First name: Jim

Post by Benckj »

Getting a decent wheel alignment is also key to stable handling. I tend to follow the autocross specs as although causes a bit more tyre wear it makes the car feel like its on rails.
Jim Benck
90 rev 1 parts car
98 rev 5 GT- all the mods

GDII
Stomping Ground: Wellington
First name: Phill

Post by GDII »

4CylinderSpecial wrote:Hey. First things first is that the handling of these cars are heavily affected by what tyre you run. So definitely take off your old ones and swap out with some new tyres. Also look at an alignment. That should be enough to make you feel confident in the wet again.
This. These cars are sensitive to what tyre you run and what wheel alignment has been set up. Good tyres and an OEM wheel alignment make the cars good.
JKH wrote:Thanks, that makes me feel better. I didn't realize handling would be so affected by tyres. I'll go see about getting some new ones for it.

Not sure if this is the right place to ask, since I know there's tons of info regarding a million different tyres (and I don't want to be annoying), but for everyday type driving and grip during wet conditions, is there something that's specifically recommended? A friend of mine suggested RE003s or similar but since I'm not particularly knowledgeable regarding tyres...

Thanks again :)
What wheel sizes do you have? That can dictate what tyres you can and can't buy. RE003 are good. I have run these for about 2.5 years now and not had any issues with grip even with my funky autocross wheel alignment.

On the subject of tyres vs handling. I have a set of 215/40R17 and 245/40R17 RE003 and swapping to a set of 205/55R15 Toyo T1R front and 225/50R15 Toyo Proxes 4s rear makes the car drive much nicer but the handling response isn't the best in quick direction changes nor is it as direct as the RE003.
Benckj wrote:Getting a decent wheel alignment is also key to stable handling. I tend to follow the autocross specs as although causes a bit more tyre wear it makes the car feel like its on rails.
I have this setup and it's a bit twitchy. Not very confidence inspiring as the steering pulls on bumps. Part of this is the tyres and wheels though.
Although your run OEM springs and my car is lowered on TRD. That might affect it. My tyre wear however has been pretty good and really really even. No camber or toe wear.
1990 SW20 MR2 G-Limited (GEN4 3SGTE Installed)
2000 AE111R Corolla Wagon NZ New Daily
1996 AE101R Corolla Sprint NZ New Selling Soon
1990 EP81 Starlet XL (Sold)
1990 EE90 Corolla XL (Sold)
Instagram https://www.instagram.com/sw20glimited/

JKH
Guest of the Club.

Post by JKH »

I've just been googling some options, and I guess I might be limited by the fact that everything I have is stock - original 14 inch wheels, no changes to any setup whatsoever. I'm feeling much better though, thanks for the reassurances :) sure sounds like I can have it at a place where I won't be afraid to drive it!

GDII

Post by GDII »

JKH wrote:I've just been googling some options, and I guess I might be limited by the fact that everything I have is stock - original 14 inch wheels, no changes to any setup whatsoever. I'm feeling much better though, thanks for the reassurances :) sure sounds like I can have it at a place where I won't be afraid to drive it!
The GEN1 SW20 also has a more twitchy suspension setup although the 91 Turbo also comes under this. Some people like it, others don't.
14" don't appear to have any decent performance tyre left in the correct sizes except for semi slick race tyres. These are expensive and do not work well in the wet plus have limited heat cycles before they stop working well.

Your best bet is to go up in size. 15s, 16s or 17s but 17s are best as there are more options. If this is not an option right now even getting new tyres in the 14s of a daily driver tyre is probably better than what may be on there right now. Do you know the brand, model and age of those tyres?

However even good tyres can't always save you as road conditions can be pretty bad like oil but based on your description of not experiencing this in other cars it's most likely the setup on the MR2 as we know they are sensitive to this sort of thing.

JKH
Guest of the Club.

Post by JKH »

I had noticed the twitchy suspension, which doesn't bother me too much. It's mainly feeling like the tyres were losing grip that's scaring me.
What's on there right now are Potenzas, though I'm not sure which type. I asked about them at Bridgestone and the guy there told me they're at least ten years old. I do have a set of 16s that came on it when I bought it, but I didn't really like how they look, which is why I put the original wheels back on. That being said, I did run into rain when driving back from Auckland to Palmy on those 16s and had no issues at all. Maybe putting the 16s back on is the best bet for now...

GDII

Post by GDII »

10 year old tyres are dangerous. They are probably very hard so not gripping the road. And the twitchy handling you are experiencing is probably the alignment. When one tyre loses grip it sends the car in an odd direction. Swap back to the 16s for now to keep you safe then look into options for upgrades.

JKH
Guest of the Club.

Post by JKH »

Thanks for all the advice guys, I'll get the 16s back on it and check tyre upgrade options a little later on. Much appreciated :)

tw2
Area Coordinator - MR2OCNZ
Stomping Ground: Waikato
First name: Thomas

Post by tw2 »

Yep definitely run at least 16 or 17" with potenzas or Michelin pilot sports (if available in the size needed). I had 14" wheels on my first mr2 and everything was worse. 16" is a perfect size (handling vs comfort) apart from finding good tires in 16" is still a challenge.

Unfortunately unless you found a gem, a lot of these cars need a lot of tlc. Check the lower ball joints and bushes too.
Thomas, 91 G, 05 E55
Area Coordinator Waikato

Alsw20
Club Member - MR2OCNZ
Stomping Ground: Christchurch
First name: Al

Post by Alsw20 »

RE003 Bridgestone Potenza are where it’s at. Good value at around $200 a corner. Will take most cars in the wet. They tame my front heavy daily driver Blade Master.

Benckj
Stomping Ground: Otago
Prime Mover: More than one MR2
First name: Jim

Post by Benckj »

Unfortunately unless you found a gem, a lot of these cars need a lot of tlc. Check the lower ball joints and bushes too.
Good idea to get all the suspension components checked as a ball joint or worn suspension bush can transform the cars handling. Unless you are experienced in this area its all the more reason to get a decent alignment shop to check out.
Jim Benck
90 rev 1 parts car
98 rev 5 GT- all the mods

ClanFever
Executive Officer - MR2OCNZ
First name: Olaf

Post by ClanFever »

Tyres, check the suspension (get an alignment too) and it'll change the whole car. Also if you can, take it to a track day to learn how the car handles and where the limit is

I see you're Manawatu, there are plenty of days at Manfield, and they're usually in the wet due to Fielding being how it is
Ex-President & Wellington Area Coordinator & Lower North MR2 Leader
Current: 1992 Toyota MR2 G-Limited with Gen 4 3S-GTE + CT20B (APEXED), 2005 Toyota IST, 2008 Toyota Vanguard - 2GR!
Past: 1990 Toyota MR2 G-Limited, "Semi Parts Car" 1991 Toyota MR2 G-Limited, '91 G-Limited, '89 G-Limited, '91 NZ New MR2, '91 G-Limited, '91 GT (Parts Car), '99 Altezza 3SGE, '98 Altezza 1GFE, '88 Corolla, '96 Curren, '94 Ceres Corolla, '94 Levin, '90 Hiace Super Custom 4x4, '91 Mirage, '93 MX-6 J-Spec, '91 Familia, '91 Galant, '90 Navara, '96 Commodore, '94 Pajero, '89 Lancer, '93 Pajero, '92 Pajero, '89 Mirage, '92 Terrano, '87 Familia, '03 Colt, '91 Pajero, '91 Pajero, '97 Carib, '96 Carina, '02 Turbo Forester

JKH
Guest of the Club.

Post by JKH »

I called up Bridgestone today and got a price for a set of RE003s so will definitely be doing that once I have the money. I know that it's recommended for a staggered setup, however the 16s are all 7" wide running two different size tyres (205/50 and 225/50). Think this will be ok?

I believe all the suspension components are alright - I just had it in at Toyota a couple weeks ago and spent way too much getting tons of maintenance done (ball joints included I think) that previous owners had neglected. I believe it had been sitting around mostly for about 6 years. So hopefully all good in that department :)