Advice re. wet weather

An area for topics concerning SW20's

Moderator: Moderators

Forum rules
This area is dedicated to technical discussions concerning SW20's. Please try to spell correctly because this will help people find information later if they are using search functionality. If you need assistance with your car and want to host a spanner day, please use the appropriate section of the forum: http://mr2.org.nz/phpbb3/viewforum.php?f=35 Thank you.
ClanFever
Executive Officer - MR2OCNZ
Stomping Ground: Wellington
Prime Mover: SW20
First name: Olaf

Re: Advice re. wet weather

Post by ClanFever »

tw2 wrote:
Alsw20 wrote:Goodride and Triangles.

I would rather walk.
They will be a huge improvement on very old falling to bits tyres. Not everyone has potenza/pilot sport/eagle F1 money lying around 24/7.
I've found some of the rubbish to be very grippy in the dry, however they wear through quickly. Wet you gotta pretend you've got slicks
Ex-President & Wellington Area Coordinator & Lower North MR2 Leader
Current: 1992 Toyota MR2 G-Limited with Gen 4 3S-GTE + CT20B (APEXED), 2005 Toyota IST, 2008 Toyota Vanguard - 2GR!
Past: 1990 Toyota MR2 G-Limited, "Semi Parts Car" 1991 Toyota MR2 G-Limited, '91 G-Limited, '89 G-Limited, '91 NZ New MR2, '91 G-Limited, '91 GT (Parts Car), '99 Altezza 3SGE, '98 Altezza 1GFE, '88 Corolla, '96 Curren, '94 Ceres Corolla, '94 Levin, '90 Hiace Super Custom 4x4, '91 Mirage, '93 MX-6 J-Spec, '91 Familia, '91 Galant, '90 Navara, '96 Commodore, '94 Pajero, '89 Lancer, '93 Pajero, '92 Pajero, '89 Mirage, '92 Terrano, '87 Familia, '03 Colt, '91 Pajero, '91 Pajero, '97 Carib, '96 Carina, '02 Turbo Forester

Alsw20
Club Member - MR2OCNZ
Stomping Ground: Christchurch
First name: Al

Post by Alsw20 »

tw2 wrote:
Alsw20 wrote:Goodride and Triangles.

I would rather walk.
They will be a huge improvement on very old falling to bits tyres. Not everyone has potenza/pilot sport/eagle F1 money lying around 24/7.
An MR2 isn’t the car for someone barely making ends meet.

JKH
Guest of the Club.
Stomping Ground: Manawatu
First name: Julia

Post by JKH »

Ok. I’ll sell it again then. Thanks for enlightening me.

mknz
Site Admin - MR2OCNZ
Stomping Ground: Auckland
Prime Mover: More than one MR2
First name: Michael

Post by mknz »

Alsw20 wrote:An MR2 isn’t the car for someone barely making ends meet.
Interesting, quite a few students own them and I think most people would like to save for a couple of weeks instead of dipping into their savings before dropping several hundred dollars on tyres when they have a daily car too. Each to their own

Benckj
Forum Moderator - MR2OCNZ
Stomping Ground: Otago
Prime Mover: More than one MR2
First name: Jim

Post by Benckj »

I run Nueton tyres on both my MR2 and Audi TT for several years. Impressed with their wet weather grip and handling. Been on the track and drags with them as well. $$ doesn’t always translate to a better product.
Jim Benck
90 rev 1 parts car
98 rev 5 GT- all the mods

tw2
Area Coordinator - MR2OCNZ
Stomping Ground: Waikato
First name: Thomas

Post by tw2 »

Alsw20 wrote: An MR2 isn’t the car for someone barely making ends meet.
Wow condescending and passive aggressive. Way to make a new owner feel welcome. You can actually drive them like a normal car rather than at 10/10th's the whole time while you catch up on neglected maintenance from previous owners. If you need a 6 figure income to be here it might be rather quiet.
Thomas, 91 G, 05 E55
Area Coordinator Waikato

GDII
First name: Phill

Post by GDII »

tw2 wrote:
Wow condescending and passive aggressive. Way to make a new owner feel welcome. You can actually drive them like a normal car rather than at 10/10th's the whole time while you catch up on neglected maintenance from previous owners. If you need a 6 figure income to be here it might be rather quiet.
It's just Al being Al. I daily mine and have done for 11 years. It's broken a lot though.
1990 SW20 MR2 G-Limited (GEN4 3SGTE Installed)
2000 AE111R Corolla Wagon NZ New Daily
1996 AE101R Corolla Sprint NZ New Selling Soon
1990 EP81 Starlet XL (Sold)
1990 EE90 Corolla XL (Sold)
Instagram https://www.instagram.com/sw20glimited/

JKH
Guest of the Club.

Post by JKH »

Well not going to lie the comment about being too poor to afford an MR2 has me feeling pretty bad.
For the record though I had my partner take it out this morning to see what he thought - he hadn’t driven it before - and he said it feels like something is definitely very wrong with the front end, not my imagination. So I’ll have it checked out. When I’m less poor. Thanks guys

tw2
Area Coordinator - MR2OCNZ
Stomping Ground: Waikato
First name: Thomas

Post by tw2 »

Don't let it get to you. I had a Celica gt4 when I was a student. I just learnt how to do things myself. Amazing what you can accomplish with some jack stands and hand tools.

Unless anyone had better ideas I would ask the shop to look at the alignment and car in general again with regards to the handling. They shouldn't charge anything and that toe at the front looks way off. And if there were issues with bushings or front ball joints they should have picked up on them.

It has power steering right?
Thomas, 91 G, 05 E55
Area Coordinator Waikato

JKH
Guest of the Club.

Post by JKH »

Thanks :) Yeah I’ll take it in and have them check everything over. It does have power steering.

ClanFever
Executive Officer - MR2OCNZ
First name: Olaf

Post by ClanFever »

GDII wrote:
tw2 wrote:
It's just Al being Al. I daily mine and have done for 11 years. It's broken a lot though.
I think in reality you have $0 yet somehow you make that car always run and it's always very clean, time prohibiting this sometimes
Ex-President & Wellington Area Coordinator & Lower North MR2 Leader
Current: 1992 Toyota MR2 G-Limited with Gen 4 3S-GTE + CT20B (APEXED), 2005 Toyota IST, 2008 Toyota Vanguard - 2GR!
Past: 1990 Toyota MR2 G-Limited, "Semi Parts Car" 1991 Toyota MR2 G-Limited, '91 G-Limited, '89 G-Limited, '91 NZ New MR2, '91 G-Limited, '91 GT (Parts Car), '99 Altezza 3SGE, '98 Altezza 1GFE, '88 Corolla, '96 Curren, '94 Ceres Corolla, '94 Levin, '90 Hiace Super Custom 4x4, '91 Mirage, '93 MX-6 J-Spec, '91 Familia, '91 Galant, '90 Navara, '96 Commodore, '94 Pajero, '89 Lancer, '93 Pajero, '92 Pajero, '89 Mirage, '92 Terrano, '87 Familia, '03 Colt, '91 Pajero, '91 Pajero, '97 Carib, '96 Carina, '02 Turbo Forester

GDII
First name: Phill

Post by GDII »

ClanFever wrote:
GDII wrote:
tw2 wrote:
I think in reality you have $0 yet somehow you make that car always run and it's always very clean, time prohibiting this sometimes
Excluding all the add on 'tuner' parts my fix it budget is quite small. Doing as much as I can myself and learning every time it broke has been extremely valuable to me. I think I have only paid $400 to other people over 11 years to do work on the car.

I'd offer to help you out Julia if I was closer by taking a test drive of your car to feel out where things are not quite right. Sometimes an issue in the rear can feel like an issue in the front. These cars are a bit odd like that.
1990 SW20 MR2 G-Limited (GEN4 3SGTE Installed)
2000 AE111R Corolla Wagon NZ New Daily
1996 AE101R Corolla Sprint NZ New Selling Soon
1990 EP81 Starlet XL (Sold)
1990 EE90 Corolla XL (Sold)
Instagram https://www.instagram.com/sw20glimited/

JKH
Guest of the Club.

Post by JKH »

Thanks Phil :) the thought counts to me.

I have it booked in to be looked at on Friday. I explained the issue to the guys as best I could, so hopefully they can figure it out for me. I'll come back and let you guys know what they tell me if you like. Knowing my luck it'll either turn out to be something horrendously expensive or embarrassingly simple. Hopefully the latter.

JKH
Guest of the Club.

Post by JKH »

So turns out it was indeed the latter - bad wheel alignment. The mechanic said it was shocking how bad it was. Can confirm I took it for a drive once they’d finished with it and it feels like a whole new car. Now onto saving for the rest of the things it needs less urgently :) thanks guys!

Spykerwolf
Club Member - MR2OCNZ
Stomping Ground: Auckland
Prime Mover: Looking for an MR2
First name: Will

Post by Spykerwolf »

Glad you got it sorted 8)
Current: None
Past: '92 NA Hardtop manual