Inner CV boot replacement

An area for topics concerning SW20's

Moderator: Moderators

Forum rules
This area is dedicated to technical discussions concerning SW20's. Please try to spell correctly because this will help people find information later if they are using search functionality. If you need assistance with your car and want to host a spanner day, please use the appropriate section of the forum: http://mr2.org.nz/phpbb3/viewforum.php?f=35 Thank you.
Jabeo
Club Member - MR2OCNZ
Stomping Ground: Waikato
Prime Mover: SW20
First name: Jabeo

Inner CV boot replacement

Post by Jabeo »

Hey all, 8) long time no posting! I have just been working and accumulating parts and just enjoying my car. However i have recently run into a few problems. Went for my WoF last saturday and failed on a few things, namely "excessive play" in all 4 lower ball joints and front swaybar links, not sure how they check it cause i threw my car on the lift at home and couldn't really see or feel any play even when applying leverage with a giant screw driver.

However while i was under there i noticed that my drivers side inner CV was split wide open and had thrown grease everywhere which wasnt on my WoF list, so either they didnt notice or it happened on the drive home from the wof place. So now thats another taxing job that needs to be done.
69213087_2563169050413008_2333393983171985408_n.jpg
69213087_2563169050413008_2333393983171985408_n.jpg (104.5 KiB) Viewed 2098 times
I am looking for advice on the replacement of the CV boot, and the best way to do it. I have been looking into maybe purchasing a split CV boot kit from toyota for ease of install, but would consider a sealed boot as well but please enlighten me on the easiest way to do this, it seems like its going to be a bit of a daunting and shit job to do either with a normal CV boot :shock: :cry:
1992 MR2 GT Turbo :twisted: Complete with Traction control!
1997 N/A Honda Civic EK3 :twisted:

:!: Follow me on Instagram :!: https://www.instagram.com/jabeo_waho/
Im still learning a lot about cars so bear with me!

Mr-Paulio
Area Coordinator - MR2OCNZ
Stomping Ground: Auckland
Prime Mover: AW11
First name: Paul

Re: Inner CV boot replacement

Post by Mr-Paulio »

Easiest way mate is give it to someone else to do! :lol:
It can be a shit job, if the bearings pop out.
Have you got a price for a shop to do it? Might be worth while? Speaking from experience.
From memory it's easier to drop the whole shaft out and do it on a bench. Undo the 8 Allen head bolts and you can see the c clip on the back of the shaft. Remove this and pull the shaft out leaving the bearings, case etc in place. Take off the old boot, slip on the new. Plenty of grease and put it back in, fit the c clip again and tighten the boot. Then put the driveshaft back. Its been awhile since Ive done something like that though honestly. Id consider letting a shop do it if you can find a good price?
'89 AW11 V6 Turbo (350BHP & 380Ft/lbs!) :twisted:
'86 AW11 20V (Sold) :(
'91 SW20 Turbo "BlackRat" #RatRodStyle (Sold) :(
'91 SW20 Turbo (Sold) :(
South Auckland Area Coordinator

mknz
Site Admin - MR2OCNZ
Prime Mover: More than one MR2
First name: Michael

Post by mknz »

It's a messy job, not particularly hard though. I'd do it on a bench so you can actually clean it up. The easier way is split boot, but i think it's been open too long. I'd rather clean it up since inner CVs are hard to get.

Jabeo
Club Member - MR2OCNZ
First name: Jabeo

Post by Jabeo »

Mr-Paulio wrote:Easiest way mate is give it to someone else to do! :lol:
It can be a shit job, if the bearings pop out.
Have you got a price for a shop to do it? Might be worth while? Speaking from experience.
From memory it's easier to drop the whole shaft out and do it on a bench. Undo the 8 Allen head bolts and you can see the c clip on the back of the shaft. Remove this and pull the shaft out leaving the bearings, case etc in place. Take off the old boot, slip on the new. Plenty of grease and put it back in, fit the c clip again and tighten the boot. Then put the driveshaft back. Its been awhile since Ive done something like that though honestly. Id consider letting a shop do it if you can find a good price?
mknz wrote:It's a messy job, not particularly hard though. I'd do it on a bench so you can actually clean it up. The easier way is split boot, but i think it's been open too long. I'd rather clean it up since inner CVs are hard to get.
Yeah i will have to get on to asking around at shops to see what sort of quote they will give, however part of me wants to give it a crack so i learn how to do it, which i guess is part of my can do nature. From looking at it, it does look like i can unbolt the allen heads and remove the axle from there and leave the rest intact? would the bearings and stuff stay in the half shaft side of the joint, or go with the axle and joint im removing?

Ideally i want to use a split boot but am having trouble tracking one down, toyota nz is supposed to to offer them but nst has been no help with this, so might go see the hamilton branch in person
1992 MR2 GT Turbo :twisted: Complete with Traction control!
1997 N/A Honda Civic EK3 :twisted:

:!: Follow me on Instagram :!: https://www.instagram.com/jabeo_waho/
Im still learning a lot about cars so bear with me!

Mr-Paulio
Prime Mover: AW11
First name: Paul

Post by Mr-Paulio »

Yeah I get that wanting to give it a crack feeling! If you unbolt the allen bolts the bearings come also inside that cup. It just leaves the stub in the Gbox. So no draining the oil, yay! You will need to undo the other end of the shaft from the hub first. (Just be careful you don't pull the shaft hard from the inner CV. That's when the bearings can pop out, inside the boot (Or whats left of it) Then you can do the whole thing on the bench. And again just watch those bearing coming out the cup. So many bad memory's of trying to get all the bearings in the cage and in the cup and shaft all at once. Hours of chasing loose ball bearings around the workshop floor, cleaning them, re-greasing them and trying again, and again.... :lol:
'89 AW11 V6 Turbo (350BHP & 380Ft/lbs!) :twisted:
'86 AW11 20V (Sold) :(
'91 SW20 Turbo "BlackRat" #RatRodStyle (Sold) :(
'91 SW20 Turbo (Sold) :(
South Auckland Area Coordinator

Benckj
Forum Moderator - MR2OCNZ
Stomping Ground: Otago
First name: Jim

Post by Benckj »

Having recently done this job myself I'd recommend buying a HD kit and rebuilding the CV joints. The factory internal cages are rather weak and can fail at the worst possible time. More than likely yours would have been running dry and have more play in cage than normal. Its also my experience if one boot is gone the others are not far behind. Have a read of the link below and view the clip on how to do.

Draining the trans fluid is not hard and its a good time to upgrade oil or change if you have not done yet.
Jim Benck
90 rev 1 parts car
98 rev 5 GT- all the mods

Benckj
Forum Moderator - MR2OCNZ
Stomping Ground: Otago
First name: Jim

Post by Benckj »

Looks like the link I posted above doesn’t work for others as it’s linked to my user name. I’ll see if I can fix using phone.

Try this;

https://www.mr2oc.com/201-how-videos/26 ... first.html
Jim Benck
90 rev 1 parts car
98 rev 5 GT- all the mods

tw2
First name: Thomas

Post by tw2 »

I have an almost new lower ball joint if you want it. One of the back ones, can't remember which side but they might be the same anyway.

The CV boot is one of those messy jobs that isn't much fun.
Thomas, 91 G, 05 E55
Area Coordinator Waikato