Seat belt buckles

An area for topics concerning SW20's

Moderator: Moderators

Forum rules
This area is dedicated to technical discussions concerning SW20's. Please try to spell correctly because this will help people find information later if they are using search functionality. If you need assistance with your car and want to host a spanner day, please use the appropriate section of the forum: http://mr2.org.nz/phpbb3/viewforum.php?f=35 Thank you.
Zume
Guest of the Club.
Stomping Ground: Auckland
Prime Mover: SW20
First name: Jordan

Seat belt buckles

Post by Zume »

Hi all,

At toyotafest earlier this year I was going over the pain of having to swap oem and bucket seats at the track because the 3 point belt needed for the road was part of the seat.

Someone made the point it was easy enough to keep the bucket seats in, and just use the seat mounting point as the buckle fixing point, which is a great idea.

Fast forward 2 eBay attempts at getting something longer than oem so they are usable from the chassis mounting point, and neither set will take the clasp on my 94. Image attached if it's something special/odd.

I had a generic set which seems ok with Mazda belts, and a specific Toyota set which fits BMW of all things. Plus others no doubt, but not the MR2.

Has anyone else done this? What do I need to buy? Did Toyota make this pattern in another car with longer stalks? Etc

Thanks all.
Attachments
IMG_20190822_172038.jpg

Zume
Guest of the Club.

Re: Seat belt buckles

Post by Zume »

If I'm the first one, what does everyone else do with aftermarket seats?

Found this thread:

https://www-mr2oc-com.cdn.ampproject.or ... le-go.html

Which says e21 or aw11, but I'm confident aw11 isn't a fit.

Or make a bracket/extension.

ClanFever
Executive Officer - MR2OCNZ
Stomping Ground: Wellington
First name: Olaf

Post by ClanFever »

Most people when going after market will be using the factory seatbelt and re-using the buckle from the factory seat. If you're going 3/5 point harness, you'll generally have that sorted with the rollcage/bar and seat already. Are you not able to do the former? If not you may need to have something professionally fabricated that is up to legal standards.
Ex-President & Wellington Area Coordinator & Lower North MR2 Leader
Current: 1992 Toyota MR2 G-Limited with Gen 4 3S-GTE + CT20B (APEXED), 2005 Toyota IST, 2008 Toyota Vanguard - 2GR!
Past: 1990 Toyota MR2 G-Limited, "Semi Parts Car" 1991 Toyota MR2 G-Limited, '91 G-Limited, '89 G-Limited, '91 NZ New MR2, '91 G-Limited, '91 GT (Parts Car), '99 Altezza 3SGE, '98 Altezza 1GFE, '88 Corolla, '96 Curren, '94 Ceres Corolla, '94 Levin, '90 Hiace Super Custom 4x4, '91 Mirage, '93 MX-6 J-Spec, '91 Familia, '91 Galant, '90 Navara, '96 Commodore, '94 Pajero, '89 Lancer, '93 Pajero, '92 Pajero, '89 Mirage, '92 Terrano, '87 Familia, '03 Colt, '91 Pajero, '91 Pajero, '97 Carib, '96 Carina, '02 Turbo Forester

Zume
Guest of the Club.

Post by Zume »

Thanks for the reply!

The car has 6 point harnesses, but no harnesses are legal on the road.

Where do they fix the buckle to when you say most people run the original 3 point belt? The OEM has the buckle on the seat, and while there is a point on the chassis which it could fix to, it's far far too short with all the original bits, hence the question.

ClanFever
Executive Officer - MR2OCNZ
First name: Olaf

Post by ClanFever »

You should be able to bolt them to the seat, similar to the factory seats. Are you talking more about full on race bucket seats than just simple after market Recaros etc? Do you have some pictures of the seats?
Ex-President & Wellington Area Coordinator & Lower North MR2 Leader
Current: 1992 Toyota MR2 G-Limited with Gen 4 3S-GTE + CT20B (APEXED), 2005 Toyota IST, 2008 Toyota Vanguard - 2GR!
Past: 1990 Toyota MR2 G-Limited, "Semi Parts Car" 1991 Toyota MR2 G-Limited, '91 G-Limited, '89 G-Limited, '91 NZ New MR2, '91 G-Limited, '91 GT (Parts Car), '99 Altezza 3SGE, '98 Altezza 1GFE, '88 Corolla, '96 Curren, '94 Ceres Corolla, '94 Levin, '90 Hiace Super Custom 4x4, '91 Mirage, '93 MX-6 J-Spec, '91 Familia, '91 Galant, '90 Navara, '96 Commodore, '94 Pajero, '89 Lancer, '93 Pajero, '92 Pajero, '89 Mirage, '92 Terrano, '87 Familia, '03 Colt, '91 Pajero, '91 Pajero, '97 Carib, '96 Carina, '02 Turbo Forester

Zume
Guest of the Club.

Post by Zume »

They are racepro seats (just your everyday fixed back fiberglass bucket seat), with nzkw brackets which don't have tabs for the seatbelt.

The best option is definitely fix a longer buckle to the chassis, the issue is just finding one that accepts the OEM clasp that sits on the belt.

Did this get used in any other cars?

4CylinderSpecial
Club Member - MR2OCNZ
First name: Levi

Post by 4CylinderSpecial »

I remember talking to Logan who said that for his flatmate's mr2 they took the buckle down to pick a part and tried with a few Toyota vans until they found one that would work. Probably your best bet to quickly found something that will be suitable and good to go.

Weird how different looking your gen 3 buckle looks compared to my gen 3. Maybe it got replaced with another unit at some point?? Mine looks like a regular buckle.

Zume
Guest of the Club.

Post by Zume »

Sweet.

If I do find something that works I'll report back.

Zume
Guest of the Club.

Post by Zume »

Interesting that they moved away from this design then, what year is yours? From NZ or Japan? I think mine spent some time outside Japan before coming here.

That gives a bit more weight to the idea aw11 belts might match, if this is something old they passed out about this year.

GDII
Forum Moderator - MR2OCNZ
First name: Phill

Post by GDII »

4CylinderSpecial wrote:Weird how different looking your gen 3 buckle looks compared to my gen 3. Maybe it got replaced with another unit at some point?? Mine looks like a regular buckle.
That is definitely a possibility. My car doesn't have the OEM belts, they will have been replaced with a generic unit at some point between importing and me buying it. You can tell by the little lever on the retraction reel behind the plastic panel.
1990 SW20 MR2 G-Limited (GEN4 3SGTE Installed)
2000 AE111R Corolla Wagon NZ New Daily
1996 AE101R Corolla Sprint NZ New Selling Soon
1990 EP81 Starlet XL (Sold)
1990 EE90 Corolla XL (Sold)
Instagram https://www.instagram.com/sw20glimited/

Zume
Guest of the Club.

Post by Zume »

Mine are definitely fully functional sw20 belts, with all the tricky bits that make you shut the door like you mean it. I paid particular attention to them when stepping for the cage because they still to be something a lot of people have problems with.

Just something changed within Toyota and they swapped clasp design between this and 4cylinders car imo.

Still helps point me in towards the right age options though!

GDII
Forum Moderator - MR2OCNZ
First name: Phill

Post by GDII »

There are 5 different belts for the GT/GT-S throughout the years. 9 if you include colours. They stopped changing them in 1996.
G-Limited had a few more but I'd need to spend more time checking which is which. I can't tell what the changes are though.
1990 SW20 MR2 G-Limited (GEN4 3SGTE Installed)
2000 AE111R Corolla Wagon NZ New Daily
1996 AE101R Corolla Sprint NZ New Selling Soon
1990 EP81 Starlet XL (Sold)
1990 EE90 Corolla XL (Sold)
Instagram https://www.instagram.com/sw20glimited/

Zume
Guest of the Club.

Post by Zume »

So asking "What buckle does my car need" is a tricky question then :P

4CylinderSpecial
Club Member - MR2OCNZ
First name: Levi

Post by 4CylinderSpecial »

Zume wrote:Interesting that they moved away from this design then, what year is yours? From NZ or Japan? I think mine spent some time outside Japan before coming here.

That gives a bit more weight to the idea aw11 belts might match, if this is something old they passed out about this year.
Mine is a 1996 GT-S if that helps any?

Zume
Guest of the Club.

Post by Zume »

So this is resolved.

The best solution I could find was to match the clasps to the buckles I had already bought.

This was done for $20 each by seatbelt solutions who I took the belts to removed from the car, and they took the belts off the spindles and rethreaded them with modern clasps.