E53 vs E153

An area for topics concerning SW20's

Moderator: Moderators

Forum rules
This area is dedicated to technical discussions concerning SW20's. Please try to spell correctly because this will help people find information later if they are using search functionality. If you need assistance with your car and want to host a spanner day, please use the appropriate section of the forum: http://mr2.org.nz/phpbb3/viewforum.php?f=35 Thank you.
motorheadsw20
Club Member - MR2OCNZ
Stomping Ground: Auckland
Prime Mover: SW20
First name: Ivan

E53 vs E153

Post by motorheadsw20 »

Hiya Everyone,

Once again I'm after an opinion - this time to do with gearboxes.

Namely my E153 is getting a bit old (having 250k on it) and I feel the synchros (despite using MT-90 Synthetic for the past 10 years) are slowly but surely giving up. So i'm after opinions on what to do. The options are:

1. A brand new complete E153 is ~ NZD$5000 (http://twosrus.com/catalog/product_info ... cts_id=379) :shock: ... but not too surpising

2. ATS offer a fully rebuilt one (http://www.atsracing.net/Parts/Index/TRANSAXLES) for ~$NZD4000 - where they credit back approximately NZD$1300 for the core providing the 1-2 shift slider is still OK :).

With these I'll need to spend another ~1k for shipping probably.

3. I have managed to track down an old E53 (non LSD one since it doesn't appear to have the bar in the diff) which will need rebuild and obviously an LSD at the lower price of ~$1500 (in NZ though)

4. I can pull my box out and get it reconditioned - though the question is does anyone know of any good/trustworthy gerabox shops around Auckland that can do this job ?

Any advice/comments/info is would be much appreciated :) and catch you guys at Manfield next week

GDII
Forum Moderator - MR2OCNZ
Stomping Ground: Wellington
First name: Phill

Re: E53 vs E153

Post by GDII »

You can get an new E153 from TNZ for around $3200NZD. Might be worth a look as it's the last revision with double syncros.

Also I think getting rebuild parts for the older gearboxes is hard or impossible.

As for the Non LSD, the hole would be a large hole VS aftermarket LSD with a smaller pencil sized hole. OEM LSD has the bar.
1990 SW20 MR2 G-Limited (GEN4 3SGTE Installed)
2000 AE111R Corolla Wagon NZ New Daily
1996 AE101R Corolla Sprint NZ New Selling Soon
1990 EP81 Starlet XL (Sold)
1990 EE90 Corolla XL (Sold)
Instagram https://www.instagram.com/sw20glimited/

Benckj
Stomping Ground: Otago
Prime Mover: More than one MR2
First name: Jim

Post by Benckj »

Have you tried Redline LWSP?
May be worth a shot as I found MT90 worked but seemed to wear out after a couple years.
Jim Benck
90 rev 1 parts car
98 rev 5 GT- all the mods

motorheadsw20
Club Member - MR2OCNZ

Post by motorheadsw20 »

Thank you for the quick replies guys :) ... i have not checked the alternative RedLine oil - will definitely give it a go

Any idea who a good contact at TNZ would be ? I just had a chat to them (Albany parts branch) and an e153 looks like $5000+GST :O

GDII

Post by GDII »

motorheadsw20 wrote:Thank you for the quick replies guys :) ... i have not checked the alternative RedLine oil - will definitely give it a go

Any idea who a good contact at TNZ would be ? I just had a chat to them (Albany parts branch) and an e153 looks like $5000+GST :O
Mark at Manawatu Toyota. I'm quite sure this is a recent quote from them, not years old.

motorheadsw20
Club Member - MR2OCNZ

Post by motorheadsw20 »

GDII wrote:
motorheadsw20 wrote:Thank you for the quick replies guys :) ... i have not checked the alternative RedLine oil - will definitely give it a go

Mark at Manawatu Toyota. I'm quite sure this is a recent quote from them, not years old.

Funnily enough I happened to be in Palmerston North yesterday so I popped in to see Mark. He kindly did a quote for me (can get one from Japan) $5000 inc GST.

GDII

Post by GDII »

Well that's just insane. Either prices on items have steeply risen in the recent past or we are no longer getting proper discounts on Toyota Genuine Parts.

lasersooby
Club Member - MR2OCNZ
Stomping Ground: Manawatu
First name: Mo

Post by lasersooby »

Hi guys, this is one reason why I have not bought a single item through Toyota for my project. The are just too expensive. I have worked out that in most cases, even if the GST was applied for the items I have imported, I would still be saving funds
2017 Toyota Aqua G's
Daily Drive: 2005 Honda CR-V Sport (Auto) - SOLD
When the Wife Allows: 2020 TRD RAV4 Limited Hybrid
If the Weather is Nice: 2000 GDBSTiV7 Subaru
Looking Forward To: Supercharged MR2

tw2
Area Coordinator - MR2OCNZ
Stomping Ground: Waikato
First name: Thomas

Post by tw2 »

I am just amazed you can even get them brand new. Pity no one has managed to get a 6 speed to work for a reasonable price.
Thomas, 91 G, 05 E55
Area Coordinator Waikato

lasersooby
Club Member - MR2OCNZ

Post by lasersooby »

Hi mate, working one for my 2GR project. It is an EA60 gearbox out of the diesel Corolla. It is an expensive exercise though as there is very limited. Welcome to copy bits and pieces off it if interested once I have everything back together
2017 Toyota Aqua G's

tw2

Post by tw2 »

lasersooby wrote:Hi mate, working one for my 2GR project. It is an EA60 gearbox out of the diesel Corolla. It is an expensive exercise though as there is very limited. Welcome to copy bits and pieces off it if interested once I have everything back together
Thanks, awesome project. I haven't read through everything but I seem to remember the starter position is the issue when using those transmissions with the 3S block. I know Woodstock did a kit for it but it was very expensive, like 5000 pounds.
Thomas, 91 G, 05 E55
Area Coordinator Waikato

lasersooby
Club Member - MR2OCNZ

Post by lasersooby »

Thanks mate, bugger about the cost for the mod on the EA for the 3S. I thought it might have a lot cheaper than the 5k, ouch.

My build on the box with the Quaife LSD is sitting at around 2.5k NZD. Paul Woods cost will be extra but so far it has not been out of this world or anything like that. I have to sort out the cables for the selectors at the gearbox end then the reverse lock out inside the cabin to make this thing work.

Good luck in finding a good box mate.
2017 Toyota Aqua G's

tw2

Post by tw2 »

lasersooby wrote:Thanks mate, bugger about the cost for the mod on the EA for the 3S. I thought it might have a lot cheaper than the 5k, ouch.

My build on the box with the Quaife LSD is sitting at around 2.5k NZD. Paul Woods cost will be extra but so far it has not been out of this world or anything like that. I have to sort out the cables for the selectors at the gearbox end then the reverse lock out inside the cabin to make this thing work.

Good luck in finding a good box mate.
I think I will just stick with the S54 transmission. I am not going to go too nuts with the boost (torque). My only issue is whether I get an LSD. If I destroy the transmission and want to change to the E153 I will lose quite a lot of $ changing them. Then again people run the S54 with a lot of V6 and gen 4/5 3sgte swaps. The only failures seem to be a small number of the 2GR builds, can thank the low rpm torque for that. I might try and find the corolla diesel 5th gear to lower cruising rpms and maybe the final drive.

You will love your car when it is done, it will be an absolute torque monster, probably similar to my supercharged V8 in a much lighter body.
Thomas, 91 G, 05 E55
Area Coordinator Waikato

lasersooby
Club Member - MR2OCNZ

Post by lasersooby »

Thanks mate I hope things work out. I am probably another year away from having it on the road. If it starts getting up there then I might buy the Monkey Wrench Racing overhaul kit with uprated rings, pistons, bearings and the cams and rebuild the engine.

Good luck with getting the gearbox sorted out, was going to suggest auto dismantlers in UK for a good second hand E153 but the weight will cost and arm and a leg for shipping.

If you need any other SW20 parts, let me know as I am trying to get rid of a few things. It will be free to good homes, you will have to pay shipping though unless you want to come down and pick them up :D :D

Take care, stay safe and chat soon
2017 Toyota Aqua G's