Bench bleeding a Clutch Master cylinder

An area for topics concerning SW20's

Moderator: Moderators

Forum rules
This area is dedicated to technical discussions concerning SW20's. Please try to spell correctly because this will help people find information later if they are using search functionality. If you need assistance with your car and want to host a spanner day, please use the appropriate section of the forum: http://mr2.org.nz/phpbb3/viewforum.php?f=35 Thank you.
Trotbags
Club Member - MR2OCNZ
Stomping Ground: Hawkes Bay
Prime Mover: SW20
First name: Bevan

Bench bleeding a Clutch Master cylinder

Post by Trotbags »

Finally getting around to replacing the clutch master cylinder on my 90 SW20 N/A. It has been recommended to bench bleed the master cylinder before fitting it. I've googled and have a basic understanding of what's required - with the cylinder out of the car, I'd fill the reservoir up, attached a fitting to the outlet on the master cylinder, attached a clear plastic tube that feeds back into the top of the reservoir and cycle the cylinder until air stops coming out. I'm a bit stuck on what fitting to attach to the outlet on the master cylinder - is it just a normal bleed nipple or is there something better I should use? If the usual parts places were open I'd just head down and grab something that fits. Any advice appreciated. Thanks.
91 Turbo, 93 G, 94 G Limited, 96 Sonic Shadow.

GDII
Forum Moderator - MR2OCNZ
Stomping Ground: Wellington
First name: Phill

Re: Bench bleeding a Clutch Master cylinder

Post by GDII »

Bleed nipple is possibly too small. The objective of the bench bleeding is to stop air from going back into the outlet as you release the piston as you pump it. If you can fit a plastic tube into the fitting and it seals well you'll be OK but you need to make sure it can't pull air from around the thread.

I used some short brake lines I got from around a master cylinder off a Previa van for bench bleeding the brake master cylinder then pushed some clear tube over the ends and put them into the reservoir like how you've described. As long as air can't get back in between the end of the clear tube submerged in the fluid and the threaded outlet you should be OK. When you go to move the master cylinder from the bench into the car try seal the outlet with your finger or something else to stop fluid leaking and introducing air back into it. It's much easier to do with 2 people if you can.
1990 SW20 MR2 G-Limited (GEN4 3SGTE Installed)
2000 AE111R Corolla Wagon NZ New Daily
1996 AE101R Corolla Sprint NZ New Selling Soon
1990 EP81 Starlet XL (Sold)
1990 EE90 Corolla XL (Sold)
Instagram https://www.instagram.com/sw20glimited/

mknz
Site Admin - MR2OCNZ
Stomping Ground: Auckland
Prime Mover: More than one MR2
First name: Michael

Post by mknz »

I did by submerging the end of the master cylinder in a lil pot of brake fluid (you can get a 1L for 15$ so it's cheap enough). It's messier so grab something to catch the drips to save your paint if you do it this way. If you have the piston all the way out, then put on the reservoir cap it'll help the fluid leaking out too. I personally just bled the whole system to the back since it was all old gunk.

Trotbags
Club Member - MR2OCNZ
Stomping Ground: Hawkes Bay
First name: Bevan

Post by Trotbags »

Thanks for the advice.
91 Turbo, 93 G, 94 G Limited, 96 Sonic Shadow.