Error code 52. What's next

An area for topics concerning SW20's

Moderator: Moderators

Forum rules
This area is dedicated to technical discussions concerning SW20's. Please try to spell correctly because this will help people find information later if they are using search functionality. If you need assistance with your car and want to host a spanner day, please use the appropriate section of the forum: http://mr2.org.nz/phpbb3/viewforum.php?f=35 Thank you.
THR4SHER007
Club Member - MR2OCNZ
Stomping Ground: Bay Of Plenty
Prime Mover: SW20
First name: Logan

Error code 52. What's next

Post by THR4SHER007 »

So, before lockdown I had taken my 91 G LTD to an auto electrician to re wire my horn away from the center of the steering wheel. When I picked my car up I started driving down the road and my check engine light came on. The next day I took it to my mechanic and he scanned for codes, he found a few, then cleared the codes, which only code 52 remained. Since then I have replaced the knock sensor itself but to no avail, the code still appears. The code appears to only come on above 2500 rpm under load, but never when not in gear. I'm just wondering what needs to be done next.

Thanks
Current:
1991 MR2 G-Limited Manual Hard top
1998 Camry Gracia
Previous:
2004 Toyota Crown Majesta
2018 Husqvarna Svartpilen 401
2008 Toyota Blade Master G
2018 Yamaha YZF R3
1994 Celica ST202 Manual
Follow my Instagram @: https://www.instagram.com/logansunnex/

GDII
Forum Moderator - MR2OCNZ
Stomping Ground: Wellington
First name: Phill

Re: Error code 52. What's next

Post by GDII »

Maybe wiring is a problem. It's a shielded circuit so a little complicated. Seems lots of the USA guys have possible wiring problems with this circuit on the 3SGTE but never heard of it in a JDM G-LIMITED before.
Or for some reason you have very bad fuel or the mechanical timing is out on the distributor. Too advanced.
1990 SW20 MR2 G-Limited (GEN4 3SGTE Installed)
2000 AE111R Corolla Wagon NZ New Daily
1996 AE101R Corolla Sprint NZ New Selling Soon
1990 EP81 Starlet XL (Sold)
1990 EE90 Corolla XL (Sold)
Instagram https://www.instagram.com/sw20glimited/

Jabeo
Club Member - MR2OCNZ
Stomping Ground: Waikato
First name: Jabeo

Post by Jabeo »

I had this exact problem not too long ago that i battled with, and code 52 will only show if the ecu isnt receving a signal from the knock sensor, so it doesn't necessarily mean a knock event which is good. i ended up sourcing 2 knock sensors, one from a 3sge or 5sge i cant remember and one from a 2jz. if i remember correctly i think one gave me the same error and the other worked just fine, otherwise they were both fine.

The only other thing it could be is the wire to the ecu its self, so you could check continuity from the knock sensor plug pin to the the ecu pin using a multimeter which might help you rule that out. Take the ecu cover off and the pcb will tell you what pin is for the knock sensor. if its bad the wire might need to be replaced however just double check the ohm resistance on the sensor you got if its used. could be that yet another sensor might sort it
1992 MR2 GT Turbo :twisted: Complete with Traction control!
1997 N/A Honda Civic EK3 :twisted:

:!: Follow me on Instagram :!: https://www.instagram.com/jabeo_waho/
Im still learning a lot about cars so bear with me!

Reubenh
Club Member - MR2OCNZ
Stomping Ground: Nelson
First name: REUBEN

Post by Reubenh »

I know this is an oldish thread but I have some knowledge here.

It's important to use a knock sensor from an engine with the same BORE SIZE.

When knock happens, the pressure waves bouncing make a frequency based on the size of the bore.

You could plug a 4age knock sensor in for example but the knock sensing will become much less sensitive than it once was. Sure you won't get a fault code and it won't pull timing but the problem is you will blow the engine up.

Don't use a 5sfe sensor in a 3sgte for example. You can use a 3sge sensor on a 3sgte in theory but there may be some other differences that I don't know about.

Also... The ECUs on all Toyotas of the time are prone to failing from solder cracks and capacitors passing DC or literally leaking onto the PCB and breaking tracks from the acidic electrolyte.

THR4SHER007
Club Member - MR2OCNZ

Post by THR4SHER007 »

The thread may be a bit old but I still have the problem. I purchased an aftermarket knock sensor for Toyota, that may be a problem. My mechanic is going to send it to a Dyno to check for engine knock, as it isn't making any odd sounds loud enough to hear. I may look at a used genuine knock sensor from a wrecked 3sge. I've had an auto electrician look at the wiring and they said everything is working as intended but the CEL still comes up but at 3250 RPM now.
Current:
1998 Camry Gracia
Previous:
2018 Yamaha YZF R3
1994 Celica ST202 Manual

Reubenh
Club Member - MR2OCNZ
Stomping Ground: Nelson
First name: REUBEN

Post by Reubenh »

I probably have a 3sge knock sensor somewhere if you want it.

I'd highly recommend opening up the ECU and checking under the capacitors for damage to the board.

What are the numbers (should be 89661-*******)

I may even have the correct ECU if you want it

THR4SHER007
Club Member - MR2OCNZ

Post by THR4SHER007 »

Reubenh wrote:
Sun Jun 28, 2020 2:29 pm
I probably have a 3sge knock sensor somewhere if you want it.

I'd highly recommend opening up the ECU and checking under the capacitors for damage to the board.

What are the numbers (should be 89661-*******)

I may even have the correct ECU if you want it
If you could find a 3SGE knock sensor I would gladly take it.

I will take a look at my ECU and get back to you on that one.
Current:
1998 Camry Gracia
Previous:
2018 Yamaha YZF R3
1994 Celica ST202 Manual