Sourcing shocks and lowering springs

An area for topics concerning SW20's

Moderator: Moderators

Forum rules
This area is dedicated to technical discussions concerning SW20's. Please try to spell correctly because this will help people find information later if they are using search functionality. If you need assistance with your car and want to host a spanner day, please use the appropriate section of the forum: http://mr2.org.nz/phpbb3/viewforum.php?f=35 Thank you.
gruk
Club Member - MR2OCNZ
Stomping Ground: Manawatu
Prime Mover: SW20
First name: James

Sourcing shocks and lowering springs

Post by gruk »

Hi everyone, I’m seriously looking into de-certing my car and moving to the gentler world of shocks and springs rather than my worn out old coilovers.

I’ve read here that Cobra springs are a good choice, and Bilstein shocks?

I’ve talked to Mark from Toyota who says that ToyotaNZ is all out of rear shocks do not off to a good start.

Can anyone recommend a spot to purchase both lowerin springs and shocks? Thoughts on my choices of Bilsteins and Cobras would be appreciated also.
'90 SW20 NA - White NZ new T-Top

GlanzaAtHeart
Club Member - MR2OCNZ
Stomping Ground: Auckland
First name: Thomas

Re: Sourcing shocks and lowering springs

Post by GlanzaAtHeart »

I would suggest Autolign/BNT. They are super helpful, and the club account helps with the pricing.

I am also interested in doing this, as my car is currently certed on BC Gold coilovers that I find ride too stiff.

Is there a de-cert fee, I think it is the same as a cert fee- $500+?
89' SW20 GT w/ Gen 4 3SGTE
13.2 @ 107mph

"man this thing drives like ass" - Sun Tzu, probably

pbaron
Club Member - MR2OCNZ
Stomping Ground: Wellington
First name: Pierre

Post by pbaron »

I had the cert removed from my MR-S last year, it failed a VTNZ wof because it was certed for adjusties and had standard shocks and springs fitted. To get the cert removed and taken out of the system cost me $50 for it to be reviewed by a certifier in Upper Hutt, have him drill out the rivets to remove the cert plate and then he emailed LVVTA to get it removed, was pretty painless.
GlanzaAtHeart wrote:
Mon Aug 24, 2020 7:27 pm
I would suggest Autolign/BNT. They are super helpful, and the club account helps with the pricing.

I am also interested in doing this, as my car is currently certed on BC Gold coilovers that I find ride too stiff.

Is there a de-cert fee, I think it is the same as a cert fee- $500+?
SW20 project car

GlanzaAtHeart
Club Member - MR2OCNZ

Post by GlanzaAtHeart »

$50?? That's all??? Bugger, I should've removed my cert months ago.

I'll be following this closely. I am not a fan of my coilovers. I'll give Autolign a ring in the morning and get some prices.

Would you need the complete strut assemblies? Or just the strut insert and springs?

I've heard Koni Yellow shocks + Eibach Pro springs are the winning combo, but they are close to $2000. Would love them, but $$. Perhaps some middle ground Blistein or something for the shocks.

Top end new Eibach Pro springs are $700 at Moonlight Racing: https://www.mlracing.co.nz/eibach-pro-k ... -sw20.html
13.2 @ 107mph

gruk
Club Member - MR2OCNZ

Post by gruk »

Cripes, yeah sounds like it can get pricey quick. The fronts available at Toyota are $169 a corner, no rears though. I’ll try BNT and see if they have some rears

thorns
Club Member - MR2OCNZ
Stomping Ground: Christchurch
First name: Paul

Post by thorns »

Had cobra springs in mine and found they rode pretty well (on pretty worn shocks) , not stupid low either, check my old build thread for before and after pics.
1990 SW20 Turbo, Previously 1991 Green SW20 Turbo basket case

GDII
Forum Moderator - MR2OCNZ
First name: Phill

Post by GDII »

You might get OEM non Bilstein for $169 a corner but they bumped the Bilsteins out of line pricing making them closer to $400 a corner.
You are almost better to buy BC coilovers at that price but in light of a $50 uncert cost for suspension, that's worth looking at for a daily..

Cobra are good for street use. Not too low and comfortable.
1990 SW20 MR2 G-Limited (GEN4 3SGTE Installed)
2000 AE111R Corolla Wagon NZ New Daily
1996 AE101R Corolla Sprint NZ New Selling Soon
1990 EP81 Starlet XL (Sold)
1990 EE90 Corolla XL (Sold)
Instagram https://www.instagram.com/sw20glimited/

GlanzaAtHeart
Club Member - MR2OCNZ

Post by GlanzaAtHeart »

Spoke to Autolign today:

Cobra springs: $506 full set.

Shocks: GT Munroe Sports (Never heard anything) are $200 per corner.

They're going to get back to me regarding getting Blistien and Koni shock prices.

The guy on the phone kept bringing up Tein Flex Z coilovrs at $1901 a set.

But basically, you're looking at $1300 a full set. This was including club discount.
13.2 @ 107mph

GlanzaAtHeart
Club Member - MR2OCNZ

Post by GlanzaAtHeart »

Finally got a call back.

Bilsteins are a no go through Autolign/BNT.

Koni yellows are 350 + GST a corner.

Pricey. $1610 for just shocks....

Cheaper to import through USA like Prime MR2 or MR2 Heaven.
13.2 @ 107mph

gruk
Club Member - MR2OCNZ

Post by gruk »

Good sluething!

I’m thinking I’ll be buying a new set of Tiens or BCs... In the end I think it’ll be cheaper and easier. However my very specifies a wheel set up I’m not keen on using, nor do I have the wheels for- 18s on rear, 17s front. So looks like I need to do some work there also.
pbaron wrote:
Mon Aug 24, 2020 7:40 pm
...certifier in Upper Hutt...
Hi pbaron, any chance you remember where I can find this guy? I have a few questions for him:) and probably some work.

pbaron
Club Member - MR2OCNZ
First name: Pierre

Post by pbaron »

It was Julian Cheer 027 607 4969, he is based in Carterton but has a shop in Upper Hutt that he spends a day a week/fortnight in. Call him for a chat.
gruk wrote:
Thu Aug 27, 2020 6:41 pm
Good sluething!

I’m thinking I’ll be buying a new set of Tiens or BCs... In the end I think it’ll be cheaper and easier. However my very specifies a wheel set up I’m not keen on using, nor do I have the wheels for- 18s on rear, 17s front. So looks like I need to do some work there also.
pbaron wrote:
Hi pbaron, any chance you remember where I can find this guy? I have a few questions for him:) and probably some work.
SW20 project car

GlanzaAtHeart
Club Member - MR2OCNZ

Post by GlanzaAtHeart »

gruk wrote:
Good sluething!

pbaron wrote:

I'm not too sure now that I thought about it. Koni yellows are supposedly the BEST shocks I've heard and read, and springs are what, 500 max? I'm sure if you send $1900 on coilovers, then $500 on cert it'll be good.

MRP in Auckland do Fortune Auto coilovers, I think for around ~ 2.2k. You'd have to ring them and check.

All I'm saying is the cert fee may put shocks as the better investment. But you do get adjustablilty..
13.2 @ 107mph

GDII
Forum Moderator - MR2OCNZ
First name: Phill

Post by GDII »

GlanzaAtHeart wrote:
Fri Aug 28, 2020 10:24 am
gruk wrote:
Good sluething!

pbaron wrote:

I'm not too sure now that I thought about it. Koni yellows are supposedly the BEST shocks I've heard and read, and springs are what, 500 max? I'm sure if you send $1900 on coilovers, then $500 on cert it'll be good.

MRP in Auckland do Fortune Auto coilovers, I think for around ~ 2.2k. You'd have to ring them and check.

All I'm saying is the cert fee may put shocks as the better investment. But you do get adjustablilty..
In NZ having the ability to adjust the ride height is pretty much negated by a cert. Unless you have a Motorsport authority card and do 2 event a year in your log book. Once ride height is set you are locked to it +/-5mm. Having adjustable dampers helps but Koni yellows allow for that.
1990 SW20 MR2 G-Limited (GEN4 3SGTE Installed)
2000 AE111R Corolla Wagon NZ New Daily
1996 AE101R Corolla Sprint NZ New Selling Soon
1990 EP81 Starlet XL (Sold)
1990 EE90 Corolla XL (Sold)
Instagram https://www.instagram.com/sw20glimited/

Logan
Club Member - MR2OCNZ
First name: Logan

Post by Logan »

Have you (Gruk and Glanzaatheart) considered getting the coilovers professionally set up? I dont know the actual condition or history of your coilovers but it could be a lot cheaper than a full replacement. I got it done for about $230 and its been the best thing I've done for the car. I feel like it rides smoother than the stock setup and definitely better than lowering springs
1996 Turbo SW20

GlanzaAtHeart
Club Member - MR2OCNZ

Post by GlanzaAtHeart »

Logan wrote:
Sun Aug 30, 2020 6:31 am
Have you (Gruk and Glanzaatheart) considered getting the coilovers professionally set up? I dont know the actual condition or history of your coilovers but it could be a lot cheaper than a full replacement. I got it done for about $230 and its been the best thing I've done for the car. I feel like it rides smoother than the stock setup and definitely better than lowering springs
No I haven't - What did it change? My main issue with my coilovers is that they ride too hard. Perhaps some lower rated springs and a proper setup might change that.

Who does that sort of thing?
13.2 @ 107mph