Blower motor resistor?

An area for topics concerning SW20's

Moderator: Moderators

Forum rules
This area is dedicated to technical discussions concerning SW20's. Please try to spell correctly because this will help people find information later if they are using search functionality. If you need assistance with your car and want to host a spanner day, please use the appropriate section of the forum: http://mr2.org.nz/phpbb3/viewforum.php?f=35 Thank you.
ansys
Guest of the Club.
Stomping Ground: Auckland
Prime Mover: SW20
First name: Paul

Blower motor resistor?

Post by ansys »

So my blower fan was either off or on full blast. I figured out the issue seems to be the blower motor resistor.

The copper on mine is snapped somehow (how does that even happen?). I was able to MacGyver a temporary repair using aluminium foil and electrical tape and showed that if I fix this, it should work properly.

res1.jpg
res1.jpg (331.16 KiB) Viewed 336 times

I'm thinking to solder this copper back together, however, electronics is not my strong point. My concern is why is this copper bend in there to begin with? was it a weak point that was meant to fail first before greater damage is done elsewhere? If I solder it, will I cause problems down the line because I'm changing resistance levels or something? I wouldn't think so and am probably overthinking it, but I'm just checking to make sure.
I presume the sensitive parts of the circuit are all inside that big white cube, like can be seen in the AW11 blower motor resistor (which doesn't have the cube)

res2.jpg
res2.jpg (40.3 KiB) Viewed 336 times

For reference for people, the part number seems to be: 87138-17100 and unfortunately it doesn't look like it's a common part with any other Toyota