Need alternator advice

An area for topics concerning SW20's

Moderator: Moderators

Forum rules
This area is dedicated to technical discussions concerning SW20's. Please try to spell correctly because this will help people find information later if they are using search functionality. If you need assistance with your car and want to host a spanner day, please use the appropriate section of the forum: http://mr2.org.nz/phpbb3/viewforum.php?f=35 Thank you.
tw2
Area Coordinator - MR2OCNZ
Stomping Ground: Waikato
Prime Mover: SW20
First name: Thomas

Need alternator advice

Post by tw2 »

My alternator died, 12V with the car off, 11.8V with the engine running. Fuses all ok, battery charged and tested perfectly. Belts new and alternator spinning perfectly. My idea was to get an aftermarket one since OEM is no longer made and then have my OEM denso rebuilt. So I went to Toyota to get one, they use OEX branded ones in their workshop when denso is no longer made. I went to install it and the metal shroud prevents the plug from sliding in.

I could make it work but for the price paid I would rather just get a replacement or go with something else. Questions I guess are:
- Has anyone had one rebuilt in NZ and what prices, parts quality do you get? Who does it?
- What would you do now?
- Anyone know of any other toyota models alternator that are still available denso new? As long as it physically fits I can always rewire the plug. I heard rumours of a rav4 one possibly fitting.

Otherwise with my bracket I can probably use any mr2 alternator that has the round plug and my car uses a 70A but apparently high rates ones are fine.
Alternator001.jpg
Alternator001.jpg (505.61 KiB) Viewed 1303 times
Alternator002.jpg
Alternator002.jpg (498.43 KiB) Viewed 1303 times
Thomas, 91 G, 05 E55
Area Coordinator Waikato

GDII
Forum Moderator - MR2OCNZ
Stomping Ground: Wellington
First name: Phill

Re: Need alternator advice

Post by GDII »

Loosen the shroud and move it out the way.

I've had a new voltage regulator installed recently to my Celica alternator in the MR2. This is the brushes housing too although I melted it at a track day so out the old one back in.
1990 SW20 MR2 G-Limited (GEN4 3SGTE Installed)
2000 AE111R Corolla Wagon NZ New Daily
1996 AE101R Corolla Sprint NZ New Selling Soon
1990 EP81 Starlet XL (Sold)
1990 EE90 Corolla XL (Sold)
Instagram https://www.instagram.com/sw20glimited/

tw2

Post by tw2 »

Unfortunately the shroud goes underneath the positive post on the side so it would need to be spaced outwards without creating a short and the bolt holes in the shroud would need elongating to allow the sideways movement. I think grinding the edge of the plug cutout hole would be easier but it seems crap for a brand new product. I am worried as aftermarket alternators in general don't have a good reputation for reliability if it crapped out for unrelated reasons they would probably deny a warranty claim.

I assume "regulator assembly" is the voltage regulator on the parts sites. It is $330 :shock:

I see toyotapartsdeal have alternators listed but I am wondering if they are rebuilds since it says core charge.
Alternator toyota parts deal.jpg
Alternator toyota parts deal.jpg (180.39 KiB) Viewed 1299 times
Thomas, 91 G, 05 E55
Area Coordinator Waikato

GDII
Stomping Ground: Wellington
First name: Phill

Post by GDII »

Swap the covers over? Or maybe you can tweak the location of the plug? It all screws together underneath.
1990 SW20 MR2 G-Limited (GEN4 3SGTE Installed)
2000 AE111R Corolla Wagon NZ New Daily
1996 AE101R Corolla Sprint NZ New Selling Soon
1990 EP81 Starlet XL (Sold)
1990 EE90 Corolla XL (Sold)
Instagram https://www.instagram.com/sw20glimited/

tw2

Post by tw2 »

GDII wrote:
Sat Dec 12, 2020 12:41 pm
Swap the covers over?
It might work. The new one has an extra stupid bolt in it. The whole thing is also rotated about 90 degrees relative to the rest of the alternator but that shouldn't matter too much. Oh well I will see what Toyota says about it next week. Thanks for bouncing ideas.
Thomas, 91 G, 05 E55
Area Coordinator Waikato

Crawls
Executive Officer - MR2OCNZ
Stomping Ground: Hawkes Bay
First name: Keith

Post by Crawls »

I had mine rebuilt locally. It had a popped regulator and rectifier. And the auto sparkle I took it too used all Bosch parts in it. Now it is rock solid. All together cost me about $300 but it was mainly because the sparkie didn't want to recommend a cheap Chinese one. The ones they stocked were the OEX ones. He even said he couldn't trust that it would fit.

That said, I trust my sparkle. He has fixed all my car's electrical issues for the last 6-7 years.
Keith "Crawls" Crawley
Membership Officer & Hawkes Bay Area Coordinator
90 SW20 n/a (Repairing)
18 Fortuner (Current)
92 SW20 (Current)
https://www.instagram.com/keith_crawley

GlanzaAtHeart
Club Member - MR2OCNZ
Stomping Ground: Auckland

Post by GlanzaAtHeart »

I have had 2 rebuilt locally. One for me, and one for another mr2 owner.

My Gen 4 uses an NA alternator, the other one was the larger turbo alternator.

New regulator, rectifier, and brushes + dissammebly of 3 alternators (To determine which could be salvaged), cost $380 incl. a new 24 month warranty. Using Bosch parts I was told.

My Gen 4 sat at 14.4V after that. Was very happy.

Do note there are 2 different plugs - The round type like yours, otherwise an oval type as well, but an adapter costs about $30.

Other than that, I highly reccomend getting it rebuilt. Asking around, prices always were $350-$400.

To answer your questions: Very happy with quality and price, turn around was only a day. I would do the same again, after buying a couple second hand ones, bench tested working, then break a week later. IF THEY HAVE HAD OIL LEAK INTO THEM, EVEN IF YOU FIX THE OIL LEAK, THEY WILL BREAK!

I got mine done at a local auto sparky. Any competent shop will be able to do it.
89' SW20 GT w/ Gen 4 3SGTE
13.2 @ 107mph

"man this thing drives like ass" - Sun Tzu, probably

tw2

Post by tw2 »

GlanzaAtHeart wrote:
Sat Dec 12, 2020 4:15 pm
I have had 2 rebuilt locally. One for me, and one for another mr2 owner.

My Gen 4 uses an NA alternator, the other one was the larger turbo alternator.

New regulator, rectifier, and brushes + dissammebly of 3 alternators (To determine which could be salvaged), cost $380 incl. a new 24 month warranty. Using Bosch parts I was told.

My Gen 4 sat at 14.4V after that. Was very happy.

Do note there are 2 different plugs - The round type like yours, otherwise an oval type as well, but an adapter costs about $30.

Other than that, I highly reccomend getting it rebuilt. Asking around, prices always were $350-$400.

To answer your questions: Very happy with quality and price, turn around was only a day. I would do the same again, after buying a couple second hand ones, bench tested working, then break a week later. IF THEY HAVE HAD OIL LEAK INTO THEM, EVEN IF YOU FIX THE OIL LEAK, THEY WILL BREAK!

I got mine done at a local auto sparky. Any competent shop will be able to do it.
Thanks for the advice, very helpful, I will drop it off at a nearby sparkies on Monday and see what they can do.
Thomas, 91 G, 05 E55
Area Coordinator Waikato

GlanzaAtHeart
Club Member - MR2OCNZ
Stomping Ground: Auckland

Post by GlanzaAtHeart »

tw2 wrote:
Sat Dec 12, 2020 4:59 pm
Thanks for the advice, very helpful, I will drop it off at a nearby sparkies on Monday and see what they can do.
Be aware they may tell you it's a complete dud and they can't repair it. Happened to 2 of my alternators. Just be warned
89' SW20 GT w/ Gen 4 3SGTE
13.2 @ 107mph

"man this thing drives like ass" - Sun Tzu, probably

Benckj
Stomping Ground: Otago
Prime Mover: More than one MR2
First name: Jim

Post by Benckj »

9 time out of 10 the fault is the bridge rectifier due to faulty diodes or broken solder connections. As mentioned above the voltage regulator can also cause issues but this generally fails after rectifier goes. Both parts are easy enough to replace yourself. Hunt around for price using name brands. I sourced some from the States for under $100 and achieved 130amp output using an aftermarket new alternator.

The other parts replaced when doing a rebuild are the 2 bearings and brush assembly. Generally, these are not in bad shape but best to do for piece of mind especially if an oil leak from VC has been dripping into alternator. Can add another $100 onto parts bill but can be sourced from NZ suppliers.
Jim Benck
90 rev 1 parts car
98 rev 5 GT- all the mods

WairoaboyNZ
Club Member - MR2OCNZ
Stomping Ground: Bay Of Plenty
Prime Mover: More than one MR2
First name: Anthony

Post by WairoaboyNZ »

Your most welcome to the spare 'anchor cast iron ' original bracket if that will get you mobile again in the meantime....I am in Cambridge on Friday