Brake Bleed Issue

An area for topics concerning SW20's

Moderator: Moderators

Forum rules
This area is dedicated to technical discussions concerning SW20's. Please try to spell correctly because this will help people find information later if they are using search functionality. If you need assistance with your car and want to host a spanner day, please use the appropriate section of the forum: http://mr2.org.nz/phpbb3/viewforum.php?f=35 Thank you.
GlanzaAtHeart
Club Member - MR2OCNZ
Stomping Ground: Auckland
Prime Mover: SW20
First name: Thomas

Brake Bleed Issue

Post by GlanzaAtHeart »

Hey team,

As per the title, I'm having some issues bleeding my brakes. This is after installing all braideded brake lines and a new 92+ master cylinder. I have bench bled the master prior to installation.

The fronts bleed fine, however the rears, much to my frustration, won't bleed. Even after 1+ litre of fluid passing through the driver's side corner, there is still air in the fluid, and lots of it.

There is no visible leaks. I have checked for leaks and can not find any. The lines are solid and have no leaks. The brass tee next to the clutch line does also not leak and I bled this to make sure. The master does also not leak. Neither do any of the fittings in the big connection bit below the master.

The rear nipples are constantly pumping air bubbles through. I don't what it is.

Does anyone have any idea?

Cheers team.
89' SW20 GT w/ Gen 4 3SGTE
13.2 @ 107mph

"man this thing drives like ass" - Sun Tzu, probably

85AW20v
Club Member - MR2OCNZ
Stomping Ground: Bay Of Plenty
Prime Mover: AW11
First name: Simon

Re: Brake Bleed Issue

Post by 85AW20v »

If you're doing this with a one person bleed kit, I've found that you need to put thread tape on the bleed nipple thread, otherwise air gets sucked back in around the thread just when you think you've got it right. Otherwise it's probably a two person job, pumping up the pressure, letting it go and then tightening the nipple up before the brake is released for the next round of pumping. Jacking up the back of the car could possibly help too.
See ya
Simon
AW11 Racecar - 860kg

GlanzaAtHeart
Club Member - MR2OCNZ

Post by GlanzaAtHeart »

Cheers for the input Simon, appreciate it.

Unfortunately, not only am I using 2 people, I also have the rear of the car jacked up high on jackstands....

Thanks anyway!
13.2 @ 107mph

85AW20v
Club Member - MR2OCNZ
Stomping Ground: Bay Of Plenty
First name: Simon

Post by 85AW20v »

I just found the other day when bleeding the AW that if I opened the bleed nipple with the tube on it and had the tube above the calliper, it pretty much self bled albeit very slowly. I’ve also had success by pressurising the system from the front - basically just blew into the reservoir to get the fluid/air bubble moving along to some where it could come out.

Also - just making sure :wink: - that you’re pumping up the system, releasing the nipple and then closing it before the brake pedal is released inside the car? And that you started the whole procedure with the corner furthest from the master cylinder?
See ya
Simon
AW11 Racecar - 860kg

Mr-Paulio
Area Coordinator - MR2OCNZ
First name: Paul

Post by Mr-Paulio »

I've never had the pleasure of bleeding brakes as yet.
But plenty of issues with these cars bleeding the clutch.
My only thought if you are doing everything else right is...
The rolling body had been sitting for awhile right? Many instances people have issues bleeding the clutch because the master works until it's disconnected. Perhaps worth trying to replace the master with the one from your crashed car and seeing how that goes? Also part of a process of elimination... Good luck!!
'89 AW11 V6 Turbo (350BHP & 380Ft/lbs!) :twisted:
'86 AW11 20V (Sold) :(
'91 SW20 Turbo "BlackRat" #RatRodStyle (Sold) :(
'91 SW20 Turbo (Sold) :(
South Auckland Area Coordinator

GlanzaAtHeart
Club Member - MR2OCNZ

Post by GlanzaAtHeart »

Yeah the body was sitting for a while.

So I ended up replacing the master with another one I got, couldn't use the one from the red shell as that is an ABS one and was really different.

Brakes eventually bled with some reverse bleeding. And then some normal bleeding.

Then the pedal was still really soft when we ran the car, but if you slammed the brakes, it would lock up the rear brakes...

So then we see the fronts don't really work. Then we bled the bias valve that's there. That helped.

But now, pedal has pressure when the car is off. Then absolutely zero pressure when the car runs. A suspected booster confirmed by Carl, so gonna swap the one out of the red car.

Hopefully this is the last of my brake issues haha
13.2 @ 107mph

GlanzaAtHeart
Club Member - MR2OCNZ

Post by GlanzaAtHeart »

GlanzaAtHeart wrote:
Mon Jan 25, 2021 10:05 am
Hopefully this is the last of my brake issues haha

Hahah funny joke by me.

I removed and bench bled the master, and bench bled a couple different masters. Ended up putting it back in the car, after in bench bled perfectly, even when connected to the pedal.

I'm not sure what's going on to be completely honest.

But tomorrow i"m going to replace the bias/prop valve, the hard line, and the braided front lines just for peace of mind.
13.2 @ 107mph

Benckj
Forum Moderator - MR2OCNZ
Stomping Ground: Otago
Prime Mover: More than one MR2
First name: Jim

Post by Benckj »

When I imported my car from Japan I decided to complete a full brake rebuild including MC, calipers, braided line, etc. Like you, had multiple problems getting system to hold and finially worked out some SOB used mineral oil in the system and all rubber components had swelled. Never noticed this on the calipers but MC parts were much larger than new. The OEM kit did not include a small O ring on the shaft and this continued to cause issues. Following that hick-up the proportioning valve was buggered so that got replaced as well. After all that I had decent brakes and never caused a problem since.
Jim Benck
90 rev 1 parts car
98 rev 5 GT- all the mods

GDII
Forum Moderator - MR2OCNZ
Stomping Ground: Wellington
First name: Phill

Post by GDII »

It appears there was one major thing that was overlooked, by multiple pairs of eyes. I'll let Thomas elaborate on this when he is finished.
1990 SW20 MR2 G-Limited (GEN4 3SGTE Installed)
2000 AE111R Corolla Wagon NZ New Daily
1996 AE101R Corolla Sprint NZ New Selling Soon
1990 EP81 Starlet XL (Sold)
1990 EE90 Corolla XL (Sold)
Instagram https://www.instagram.com/sw20glimited/

GlanzaAtHeart
Club Member - MR2OCNZ

Post by GlanzaAtHeart »

GDII wrote:
Fri Jan 29, 2021 12:56 pm
It appears there was one major thing that was overlooked, by multiple pairs of eyes. I'll let Thomas elaborate on this when he is finished.
To elaborate, I've made a big 1 IQ play effectively.

Turns out, you have to put the right caliper, on the right side, and the left caliper on the left side.

After various brake masters, boosters, and replacing the front lines, Phil made me realise I had the bleed nipple on the bottom not the top. Even though he asked me to double check it over a week ago hahaha

Oh well, live and learn through mistakes!

Soon as I swapped the calipers over (The have R and L Stamped on them), to the correct corners, it bled fine and brakes are good.

After driving to and from hampton downs, they work well, but not as well as they should. Solid 6.5/10 though. I'll investigate later.

Bit of a 1 iq day on Friday in the prep for Toyotafest, but it got it going, so I was happy.
13.2 @ 107mph