White corrosion on bolts near tweeter speaker?

An area for topics concerning SW20's

Moderator: Moderators

Forum rules
This area is dedicated to technical discussions concerning SW20's. Please try to spell correctly because this will help people find information later if they are using search functionality. If you need assistance with your car and want to host a spanner day, please use the appropriate section of the forum: http://mr2.org.nz/phpbb3/viewforum.php?f=35 Thank you.
ansys
Guest of the Club.
Stomping Ground: Auckland
Prime Mover: SW20
First name: Paul

White corrosion on bolts near tweeter speaker?

Post by ansys »

Hi all, the two bolts under the tweeter speakers on the drivers door have a bit of "white rust" corrosion. I'm no electronics expert, should I be concerned about grounding issues? I've had the car for 6 years without problems to date and this is the first time I've taken the drivers door apart to see this. Also looks like some white powdery stuff is being sprayed toward the back of the door card? What's going on?

Some things to note:
I don't notice this corrosion on the passenger door.

Years back I had a cut wire in the passenger door harness that must've been shorting out as the stereo was cutting in/ out. It's since been fixed

The plastic sheet covering is missing on the door
Attachments
20210217_202803.jpg
20210217_202803.jpg (462.91 KiB) Viewed 810 times
20210217_181149.jpg
20210217_181217.jpg
20210217_181654.jpg

GDII
Forum Moderator - MR2OCNZ
Stomping Ground: Wellington
First name: Phill

Re: White corrosion on bolts near tweeter speaker?

Post by GDII »

That will be zinc oxide from water getting on the bolts a long time ago. The tweeter is earthed through its own wires so no need to worry about that.

Not sure what the what stuff is on the door card.
1990 SW20 MR2 G-Limited (GEN4 3SGTE Installed)
2000 AE111R Corolla Wagon NZ New Daily
1996 AE101R Corolla Sprint NZ New Selling Soon
1990 EP81 Starlet XL (Sold)
1990 EE90 Corolla XL (Sold)
Instagram https://www.instagram.com/sw20glimited/

ansys
Guest of the Club.

Post by ansys »

Thanks, so I presume that it's just the same benign thing going on with my left front strut tower bolts and nearby bracketry etc? Right side ones look fine in comparison. It's just strange to me that it would happen on one side and not the other.
Attachments
20210218_134832.jpg

Benckj
Stomping Ground: Otago
Prime Mover: More than one MR2
First name: Jim

Post by Benckj »

The corrosion occurred on zinc coated steel materials when it comes in contact with hydrogen & oxygen forming zinc hydroxide. Generally not an issue but sign of trapped water in area of warm conditions.
Jim Benck
90 rev 1 parts car
98 rev 5 GT- all the mods

GDII
Stomping Ground: Wellington
First name: Phill

Post by GDII »

All the bolts and brackets are coat with zinc, a protection layer as it is far more stable than bare steel. However it will still corrode give the right conditions. It might look a bit funky but the layer on top is quite strong unless exposed to the water and salts for too long.

In some situations an oxide layer is actually an advantage to protection even though oxide such as rust on steel is normally bad.
Bare aluminium boats. Aluminium oxide is actually quite hard and can protect the aluminium underneath. It's not often you actually see true aluminium as it reacts with air very quickly so normally you are seeing an oxide layer. Anodised aluminium is an oxide layer that has a protection coating to seal the pours of the oxide layer to protect it.
Stainless steel. The stainless component of stainless steel is chromium oxide. It creates a hard corrosion resistant layer that protects the steel/iron component of the metal. It isn't fully resistant to corrosion hence the 'less' component of the word but it's far better than steel.

Just some things to think about. The SW body was dipped in a zinc layer before paint which is why thy are quite good at not rusting vs the older AW which was not. Sure SWs rust mostly from damage or in countries that use road salts but in NZ they are generally rust free but the AWs are quite bad for it.
1990 SW20 MR2 G-Limited (GEN4 3SGTE Installed)
2000 AE111R Corolla Wagon NZ New Daily
1996 AE101R Corolla Sprint NZ New Selling Soon
1990 EP81 Starlet XL (Sold)
1990 EE90 Corolla XL (Sold)
Instagram https://www.instagram.com/sw20glimited/

ansys
Guest of the Club.

Post by ansys »

thanks for all the feedback guys!