What sort of coolant should I use?

An area for topics concerning SW20's

Moderator: Moderators

Forum rules
This area is dedicated to technical discussions concerning SW20's. Please try to spell correctly because this will help people find information later if they are using search functionality. If you need assistance with your car and want to host a spanner day, please use the appropriate section of the forum: http://mr2.org.nz/phpbb3/viewforum.php?f=35 Thank you.
mvrk
Guest of the Club.
Stomping Ground: Waikato
Prime Mover: SW20
First name: Maverick

What sort of coolant should I use?

Post by mvrk »

Hello all,

The previous owners of my SW20 deleted the engine half of the heater system, and when I took it to a workshop, I was consulted to use water as coolant. Is this the right procedure? The engine just sips through the water I put into it and I'd hate to keep checking the water level under the coolant cap every other day...

Extra bit of details, there is no thermostat, water is just flowing through the system thermostat free.

-Maverick

Benckj
Forum Moderator - MR2OCNZ
Stomping Ground: Otago
Prime Mover: More than one MR2
First name: Jim

Re: What sort of coolant should I use?

Post by Benckj »

Regardless of what components were deleted and for what reason you should run antifreeze with corrosion protection in system. Antifreeze not only lowers the freezing point of water but also raises the boiling point. It contains ant-corrosion additives to keep the PH of fluid below acidic level. This is also critical in the MR2 as if not maintained will lead to internal corrosion which will cause serious issues within the system.
Jim Benck
90 rev 1 parts car
98 rev 5 GT- all the mods

GDII
Stomping Ground: Wellington
First name: Phill

Post by GDII »

Jim is right. You need to run antifreeze.

Water is the best at heat transfer, even Castrol themselves state this but you need to run antifreeze for the reason Jim mentions. Raises boiling point, lowers freezing and is anti corrosion for protection of your engine and cooling system.

You need to find why it is using water and why the thermostat has been removed.
The heater pipes will most likely have a leak in the brass pipe running from the engine bay to the front. This will be why they have removed it. This is very common on the SW20 and it's a little tricky to fix due to having to take the fuel tank out. Not impossible but not ideal.
1990 SW20 MR2 G-Limited (GEN4 3SGTE Installed)
2000 AE111R Corolla Wagon NZ New Daily
1996 AE101R Corolla Sprint NZ New Selling Soon
1990 EP81 Starlet XL (Sold)
1990 EE90 Corolla XL (Sold)
Instagram https://www.instagram.com/sw20glimited/

mvrk
Guest of the Club.

Post by mvrk »

Benckj wrote:
Tue Feb 23, 2021 8:49 am
Regardless of what components were deleted and for what reason you should run antifreeze with corrosion protection in system. Antifreeze not only lowers the freezing point of water but also raises the boiling point. It contains ant-corrosion additives to keep the PH of fluid below acidic level. This is also critical in the MR2 as if not maintained will lead to internal corrosion which will cause serious issues within the system.
GDII wrote:
Tue Feb 23, 2021 9:13 am
Jim is right. You need to run antifreeze.

Water is the best at heat transfer, even Castrol themselves state this but you need to run antifreeze for the reason Jim mentions. Raises boiling point, lowers freezing and is anti corrosion for protection of your engine and cooling system.

You need to find why it is using water and why the thermostat has been removed.
The heater pipes will most likely have a leak in the brass pipe running from the engine bay to the front. This will be why they have removed it. This is very common on the SW20 and it's a little tricky to fix due to having to take the fuel tank out. Not impossible but not ideal.
Right, that's what I initially thought. It seemed wrong to use straight up water. What coolant should I eventually pour into the system? I'm getting a few conflicting answers on what coolant Sw20s should use.

I probably can't get a reason as to why the deleted components were deleted and why water was used as coolant. This Sw20 has several previous owners under it's belt and trying to hunt down who removed the components would be like finding a needle in a haystack. Not having a heater isn't a big deal since I have a ton of sweaters :lol: Though, if someone nearby is wreaking their Sw20 3SGE, I'll consider doing the heater system.

GDII

Post by GDII »

I guess the best thing to do is to determine the source of the leak/usage of coolant.

Putting in a thermostat would be a good idea. Get one from Toyota as the other aftermarket brands fail too quickly.

What parts of the heater system have been removed?
If you can get a photo of the front of the car like this
Showing this part

And the engine bay around this area circled in red

We can then determine what's missing.

Benckj
Stomping Ground: Otago
Prime Mover: More than one MR2
First name: Jim

Post by Benckj »

What coolant should I eventually pour into the system? I'm getting a few conflicting answers on what coolant Sw20s should use.
Toyota used a 'Red' Long life coolant which many owners swear by. I tend to use the 'Green' type long life coolant as its more readily available, less expensive and consistant with my others cars. Never had an issue with it but I do maintain this fluid more than most owners.

The important part is not to mix the two different types. Whatever you decide on, stick with it.
Jim Benck
90 rev 1 parts car
98 rev 5 GT- all the mods

mvrk
Guest of the Club.

Post by mvrk »

GDII wrote:
Tue Feb 23, 2021 11:34 am
I guess the best thing to do is to determine the source of the leak/usage of coolant.

Putting in a thermostat would be a good idea. Get one from Toyota as the other aftermarket brands fail too quickly.

What parts of the heater system have been removed?
If you can get a photo of the front of the car like this

Showing this part

And the engine bay around this area circled in red

We can then determine what's missing.
It seems like nothing has been removed from the front:
20210223_114343.jpg
But on the engine side, it seems like a whole lot was taken out:
20210223_114419.jpg
20210223_114458.jpg

GDII

Post by GDII »

]You are just missing the hoses from the water neck or tree to the heater pipes. Your pipes are still there. The top one is probably leaking when connected so they removed the hoses. There must be a loop or block off on the engine connection.
SW20 MR2 heater pipes.JPG
SW20 MR2 heater pipes.JPG (226.03 KiB) Viewed 1367 times
You are looking for hoses with the PNC of 87245A and 87246B. 87208C is probably still there. I don't think Toyota sell these but it gives you a reference on what to ask for on a used car.

mvrk
Guest of the Club.

Post by mvrk »

GDII wrote:
Tue Feb 23, 2021 12:14 pm
]You are just missing the hoses from the water neck or tree to the heater pipes. Your pipes are still there. The top one is probably leaking when connected so they removed the hoses. There must be a loop or block off on the engine connection.

SW20 MR2 heater pipes.JPG

You are looking for hoses with the PNC of 87245A and 87246B. 87208C is probably still there. I don't think Toyota sell these but it gives you a reference on what to ask for on a used car.
Yeah, I did see that diagram online, I just didn't entire understand where the hoses connect to. Do you know roughly where the engine connection is? I'll have a look next time I'm underneath the car.

GDII

Post by GDII »

The on the far left goes too the heater

The other one is on top of the gearbox near the starter motor.
See if you can shove the camera in the engine bay around this area and snap some shots. I might be able to sight what's been done and circle it for you. :D

GDII

Post by GDII »

Interesting. This part is still available here it appears. Top hose to the heater core.
http://www.butlerautomart.co.nz/our-ran ... H2834.aspx

mvrk
Guest of the Club.

Post by mvrk »

GDII wrote:
Tue Feb 23, 2021 1:04 pm
Interesting. This part is still available here it appears. Top hose to the heater core.
Thank you. I'll keep my eyes out for the time being. I ended up putting the green coolant into the system, and I don't know if I should be worried or not; is this the normally operating temp?
20210223_175006.jpg

mvrk
Guest of the Club.

Post by mvrk »

mvrk wrote:
Tue Feb 23, 2021 5:58 pm
GDII wrote:
Thank you. I'll keep my eyes out for the time being. I ended up putting the green coolant into the system, and I don't know if I should be worried or not; is this the normally operating temp?20210223_175006.jpg
Update: Nevermind. My system is just adjusting to the new coolant, it's back to levels it was before when I used water :)

GlanzaAtHeart
Club Member - MR2OCNZ
Stomping Ground: Auckland
First name: Thomas

Post by GlanzaAtHeart »

mvrk wrote:
GDII wrote:
Thank you. I'll keep my eyes out for the time being. I ended up putting the green coolant into the system, and I don't know if I should be worried or not; is this the normally operating temp?20210223_175006.jpg

Yeah that's normal operating temp, good work
89' SW20 GT w/ Gen 4 3SGTE
13.2 @ 107mph

"man this thing drives like ass" - Sun Tzu, probably

GDII

Post by GDII »

GlanzaAtHeart wrote:
Tue Feb 23, 2021 7:38 pm
mvrk wrote:
GDII wrote:

Yeah that's normal operating temp, good work
What is shown in the photo is a bit low but he now says it back up to the middle.

You are bleeding it as per the service manual? Just checking as I'm not sure what you know about the MR2 and bleeding the coolant system is very specific on these cars.