Need advice on oil dipstick tube please

An area for topics concerning SW20's

Moderator: Moderators

Forum rules
This area is dedicated to technical discussions concerning SW20's. Please try to spell correctly because this will help people find information later if they are using search functionality. If you need assistance with your car and want to host a spanner day, please use the appropriate section of the forum: http://mr2.org.nz/phpbb3/viewforum.php?f=35 Thank you.
tw2
Area Coordinator - MR2OCNZ
Stomping Ground: Waikato
Prime Mover: SW20
First name: Thomas

Need advice on oil dipstick tube please

Post by tw2 »

So my 3sge engine oil dipstick tube was snapped off where it enters the block :roll: Just so everyone knows the 3sge one is a solid tube press fit into the block with no support. The 3sgte one has a small metal funnel shaped insert in the block which has a separate metal tube that seals into it with an O-ring and bolts to the block. None of the tubes or even the 3sgte O-ring are made anymore.

I just so happen to have a brand new 3sgte insert thing. I can't see on any photos where the 3sgte tube bolts to the block but it is around the oil cooler which is quite different between the two engines. Anyone have any idea whether this could fit the 3sge and whether I should try and find a used tube?

Otherwise I know the 5sfe one is available from the USA but I can't be sure it is the same as the 3sge. It looks approximately the same on the crappy line drawn diagrams and I think it is also the same part as the 3sfe one but each chassis also has a different tube ie mr2 vs celica vs every other car they made at the time with the same engines.
Oil dipstick insert.jpg
Thomas, 91 G, 05 E55
Area Coordinator Waikato

tw2

Re: Need advice on oil dipstick tube please

Post by tw2 »

Here is the 3sge tube and block for reference.
3sge with 3sgte manifold002.jpg
Thomas, 91 G, 05 E55
Area Coordinator Waikato

GDII
Forum Moderator - MR2OCNZ
Stomping Ground: Wellington
First name: Phill

Post by GDII »

3SGTE bolts to the thermostat inlet.
images (2).jpeg
images (2).jpeg (59.73 KiB) Viewed 1085 times
1990 SW20 MR2 G-Limited (GEN4 3SGTE Installed)
2000 AE111R Corolla Wagon NZ New Daily
1996 AE101R Corolla Sprint NZ New Selling Soon
1990 EP81 Starlet XL (Sold)
1990 EE90 Corolla XL (Sold)
Instagram https://www.instagram.com/sw20glimited/

tw2

Post by tw2 »

Awesome thanks. The 3sge coolant thing has that bolt hole so I could find a 3sgte tube.
Thomas, 91 G, 05 E55
Area Coordinator Waikato

Benckj
Stomping Ground: Otago
Prime Mover: More than one MR2
First name: Jim

Post by Benckj »

This may be stating the obvious but why not just repair your broken one? Should be able to fit a sleeve over, MIG it tight and add bracket support. I’m sure a local MR2 member would help or get a local shop to do if you don’t have the skills.
Jim Benck
90 rev 1 parts car
98 rev 5 GT- all the mods

tw2

Post by tw2 »

Benckj wrote:
Sun May 30, 2021 9:02 am
This may be stating the obvious but why not just repair your broken one? Should be able to fit a sleeve over, MIG it tight and add bracket support. I’m sure a local MR2 member would help or get a local shop to do if you don’t have the skills.
Because it snapped off at the base, some of the break was even inside the hole in the block.

I also like the 3sgte design better and as I am turbocharging eventually it has a better chance of being in the correct place (but I don't know for sure that the 3sge one would have been a problem).
Thomas, 91 G, 05 E55
Area Coordinator Waikato

Benckj
Stomping Ground: Otago
Prime Mover: More than one MR2
First name: Jim

Post by Benckj »

Fair enough. Best to check when fitted it reads the correct level. Not entirely sure lengths are the same.
Jim Benck
90 rev 1 parts car
98 rev 5 GT- all the mods

tw2

Post by tw2 »

Benckj wrote:
Sun May 30, 2021 10:04 am
Fair enough. Best to check when fitted it reads the correct level. Not entirely sure lengths are the same.
Yeah I thought the same thing. I can't remember what the turbo dipstick looks like on my old stock turbo mr2 but I remember on my st185 it was a flat blade rather than the wire design of the N/A engines.

If none of this works, I can probably just get a new end made to press into the block and as you say fit a sleeve over the join since there is enough room before the bend.
Thomas, 91 G, 05 E55
Area Coordinator Waikato

tw2

Post by tw2 »

Just come back from the engine shop and the 3sgte metal dipstick tube insert pictured above seems to fit perfectly into the 3sge block.

I got a 3sgte dipstick tube from another club member which fits into the insert as it should. Just need a new O-ring (discontinued from toyota) and I am 95% sure this is a straight swap without issue. I also can be rest assured it will clear the turbo, manifold and downpipe which I wasn't sure about with the 3sge setup.

The only other unknown is whether the turbo dipstick tube will clear the N/A headers which I will need to run temporarily before I swap the turbo in.
Thomas, 91 G, 05 E55
Area Coordinator Waikato