Thermostat housing

An area for topics concerning SW20's

Moderator: Moderators

Forum rules
This area is dedicated to technical discussions concerning SW20's. Please try to spell correctly because this will help people find information later if they are using search functionality. If you need assistance with your car and want to host a spanner day, please use the appropriate section of the forum: http://mr2.org.nz/phpbb3/viewforum.php?f=35 Thank you.
Christopher
Guest of the Club.
Stomping Ground: Wellington
Prime Mover: SW20
First name: Chris

Thermostat housing

Post by Christopher »

1992 G-limited n/a

So my temperature gauge is sitting at about 1/3 way mark when fully warmed up and I don't think the heaters are as hot as they should be.

My first thought was a shot thermostat, which is normally a quick fix on most cars, but 4 hours and several layers of skin later, I can't for the life of me remove the thermostat housing from the engine.

The lower housing bolt is right between the dip stick and oil filter, and it's under the heat shield. All this makes getting a rachet and socket on to the bolt impossible. So I thought id make some room by removing the heat shield but sure enough the 3 bolts hold the heat shield on, crumbled as soon as I applied any torque :lol: .

So I'm stuck in this situation, sheared bolts in my heat shield and a thermostat housing that's impossible to access.

Please has anyone replaced a thermostat in an n/a that has some life changing tips on how to get the housing off?

Cheers

GDII
Forum Moderator - MR2OCNZ
First name: Phill

Re: Thermostat housing

Post by GDII »

Small tools help and/or taking off the oil filter worked for me.

Also while you are at it get a new O ring for the radiator bleeder so when you bleed it, it seal when done up. It will leak if it's the old one, trust me.
Then bleed the system properly using the service manual method.
1990 SW20 MR2 G-Limited (GEN4 3SGTE Installed)
2000 AE111R Corolla Wagon NZ New Daily
1996 AE101R Corolla Sprint NZ New Selling Soon
1990 EP81 Starlet XL (Sold)
1990 EE90 Corolla XL (Sold)
Instagram https://www.instagram.com/sw20glimited/

Christopher
Guest of the Club.
First name: Chris

Post by Christopher »

Guess I'll need to get some smaller tools!

I've been pre warned about the O ring before, do you know where the beat place to get them would be?

Thanks for the help

GDII
Forum Moderator - MR2OCNZ
First name: Phill

Post by GDII »

I got mine from Toyota a long time ago and always suggest to to others to order from Toyota as I don't actually have data on the actual size it is. Finding one in a pack from auto stores like Repco and SCA don't seem, to have the right size. If someone has data on what size it is and where to get it from that would be great. Auto stores don't carry singles anymore, just packs.
1990 SW20 MR2 G-Limited (GEN4 3SGTE Installed)
2000 AE111R Corolla Wagon NZ New Daily
1996 AE101R Corolla Sprint NZ New Selling Soon
1990 EP81 Starlet XL (Sold)
1990 EE90 Corolla XL (Sold)
Instagram https://www.instagram.com/sw20glimited/

tw2
Area Coordinator - MR2OCNZ
Stomping Ground: Waikato
First name: Thomas

Post by tw2 »

They are pretty cheap from Toyota, I got a couple. Rounded bolt extractors got my destroyed heat shield bolts out. I picked up a set from super cheap which were pretty good. And of course wd-40 for a couple of days and a few sharp hits with a hammer before attempting it.
Thomas, 91 G, 05 E55
Area Coordinator Waikato