Rodney knocked - engine swap advice

An area for topics concerning SW20's

Moderator: Moderators

Forum rules
This area is dedicated to technical discussions concerning SW20's. Please try to spell correctly because this will help people find information later if they are using search functionality. If you need assistance with your car and want to host a spanner day, please use the appropriate section of the forum: http://mr2.org.nz/phpbb3/viewforum.php?f=35 Thank you.
Hertzsauce
Guest of the Club.
Stomping Ground: Northland
Prime Mover: SW20
First name: Darcey

Rodney knocked - engine swap advice

Post by Hertzsauce »

I bought a 1990 SW20 3SGE G Limited few months ago with the full intention of it being a project and forever car as they aren’t making any more of them! Bought it at 267ks and ran her till 273ks when the engine gave out after a near 2000km road trip! Ran exceptionally well, did have to change the alternator belt and battery but otherwise perfectly until Rodney came knocking 300km from home. Now while I await it’s return and chance to tear down the existing 2nd 3sge engine to see what the damage is (still runs currently) I’m considering what engine to replace it with.

For simplicity sake a 2nd gen 3sge would be the cheapest and easiest option, however finding a lower ks engine is tough as you’ll already know and I may just find myself quickly back at square one due to them not being the most enduring variant of the 3s. 3sgte are around but again typically higher ks and I consider it pointless when the GTS models are still available at a reasonable price however the power of the 4th gen is a tempting prospect but would require a significant overall overhaul. My other “speccy” ideas are the 2/3gr v6, 1/2/3uz v8 (crazy but possible?) or the blasphemous Honda K20 (which has tremendous US support for SW20 swaps) or my preference the H22a which I’m already familiar with. Or even possibly the 2zz?

It won’t be a daily driver, ideally is a weekend NA cruiser in an ever increasingly turbo and electric world. It’s already requiring full panel and paint, new spoiler amongst many other things so feel free to get in touch with any parts for sale particularly interior and body trim wise and rims. Wanting to return the interior and exterior to a clean stock stake.

I know it’s a broad question but any experience or opinions is highly welcomed. I’ve only had the privilege of MR2 ownership for a few months and wanting to sponge up the expertise while it’s still around!

GDII
Forum Moderator - MR2OCNZ
Stomping Ground: Wellington
First name: Phill

Re: Rodney knocked - engine swap advice

Post by GDII »

Anything you listed is better than a GEN2 3SGE.

GEN3 3SGe is a decent step up. BEAMS red or greytop 3SGE is another step up. The 1MZ or 3VZ is the next step but a lot of coin for not much power so a 2GR is best for a V6. Don't even bother with a GEN2 3SGTE. GEN3 3SGTE is much better. GEN4 3SGTE is a step up of you leave it stock but they are easier to find than a GEN3.

The K20.or 24 swaps are good. H22 could be a viable option of you can mount it. Not common enough to have off the shelf parts for that.

2ZZ could work but I'm not sure if the 1.8 litre has the torque to move the heavy SW20 well.

Very unfortunate that the engine let go. Generally not enough oil is the killer of them.

I have a full 3SGE and S54 for sale soon. It does have 420,00pkm on the engine but puts down 120 hub horsepower. So no slouch.
1990 SW20 MR2 G-Limited (GEN4 3SGTE Installed)
2000 AE111R Corolla Wagon NZ New Daily
1996 AE101R Corolla Sprint NZ New Selling Soon
1990 EP81 Starlet XL (Sold)
1990 EE90 Corolla XL (Sold)
Instagram https://www.instagram.com/sw20glimited/

Hertzsauce
Guest of the Club.
Stomping Ground: Northland
First name: Darcey

Post by Hertzsauce »

Thanks for the advice and info it’s much appreciated!

It was initially burning a crap load of oil but upon putting some 15-40 and some mooreys additive in her she stopped burning oil and didn’t run dry per the dip stick. Was checked daily and between stops once she got cold. Never dropped so unless that Mooreys did something nasty I’m not sure what the cause was. Will tear down the engine and post pics on here to hear what people think.

I’m think I’ll have to just put a 2nd gen 3sge in her for the time being just to keep her legal and movable as my mate is currently working on a 4th gen 3sgte swap into his Curren so will have to wait till that’s done before anything to adventurous but currently 2gr or 1uz swap are leading the way. Have only heard of one other 2gr mr2 in the country so I think we’re under represented in big block mr2s!

She’s just arrived back home, still running just!

Could you PM me about the gearbox and engine as I’m quite interested in both.
Attachments
DE1920DD-04E4-41E0-81F3-4AE658120A13.jpeg
DE1920DD-04E4-41E0-81F3-4AE658120A13.jpeg (348.54 KiB) Viewed 6281 times

GDII
Forum Moderator - MR2OCNZ
Stomping Ground: Wellington
First name: Phill

Post by GDII »

Hertzsauce wrote:
Thu Oct 19, 2023 10:05 am
Thanks for the advice and info it’s much appreciated!

It was initially burning a crap load of oil but upon putting some 15-40 and some mooreys additive in her she stopped burning oil and didn’t run dry per the dip stick. Was checked daily and between stops once she got cold. Never dropped so unless that Mooreys did something nasty I’m not sure what the cause was. Will tear down the engine and post pics on here to hear what people think.

I’m think I’ll have to just put a 2nd gen 3sge in her for the time being just to keep her legal and movable as my mate is currently working on a 4th gen 3sgte swap into his Curren so will have to wait till that’s done before anything to adventurous but currently 2gr or 1uz swap are leading the way. Have only heard of one other 2gr mr2 in the country so I think we’re under represented in big block mr2s!

She’s just arrived back home, still running just!

Could you PM me about the gearbox and engine as I’m quite interested in both.
Interesting about the oil. I run 20w50 in mine but sadly still a bit smoky.
Not many people frequent the forum anymore but I can take look at the photos.
There are few 2GR SW20 running around in NZ but not a whole lot.

I'll PM you about the engine and gearbox combo. It's in Wellington.
1990 SW20 MR2 G-Limited (GEN4 3SGTE Installed)
2000 AE111R Corolla Wagon NZ New Daily
1996 AE101R Corolla Sprint NZ New Selling Soon
1990 EP81 Starlet XL (Sold)
1990 EE90 Corolla XL (Sold)
Instagram https://www.instagram.com/sw20glimited/