Car Detailing

An area for topics concerning SW20's

Moderator: Moderators

Forum rules
This area is dedicated to technical discussions concerning SW20's. Please try to spell correctly because this will help people find information later if they are using search functionality. If you need assistance with your car and want to host a spanner day, please use the appropriate section of the forum: http://mr2.org.nz/phpbb3/viewforum.php?f=35 Thank you.
yushinrt
Guest of the Club.
Stomping Ground: Bay Of Plenty
Prime Mover: SW20
First name: yushi

Re: Car Detailing

Post by yushinrt »

If anyone is near rotorua I can help them out deail the car I got all the gears I use to groom for dealer ship of any one need hand let me know I will come around and show you

Mr Shiny
Club Member - MR2OCNZ
Stomping Ground: Manawatu
First name: Brae

Post by Mr Shiny »

May I suggest, as it hasn't been mentioned, to clay bar the cars surface before any machine polishing. The pads could pick up any surface contaminant & then as the pad is spinning it will leave even more fine scratches requiring unnecessary extra cutting.
Just my two cents! :mrgreen:
Here's a link to Reuban's ride where you can see how much crap a clay bar can still take off, even after the night it was washed.
Last edited by Mr Shiny on Thu Sep 05, 2013 10:48 am, edited 1 time in total.

nightz
Club Member - MR2OCNZ
Stomping Ground: Wellington
First name: Ken

Re:

Post by nightz »

James-NZ wrote:If I can add a tip to this very informative thread.

Using air to dry the car will prevent swirls in your paint. If you have easy access to compressed air this works very well but for me I choose to use a leaf blower to dry my cars, this has the added benefit of drying in the seams and hard to reach places, excellent if you intend to wax after you have washed. Drying time will vary depending on climate and the amount of air you are able to blow accross the surface.

I was talking to a friend that repairs power tools about using a leaf blower to dry your car. After he finished laughing at me he said the reason they come in for repair is the amount of rubbish they suck up.

He said before blow drying your car you should wash a white sheet and hang it on the line. Than dry it using a leaf blower.
It wont be a white sheet when you are finished so doubted you would want to be using one of those to dry your nice clean car.

MR2Pearl
Guest of the Club.
Stomping Ground: Auckland
First name: Kylie

Post by MR2Pearl »

This is an awesome thread... why was I not directed here earlier!
Kylie

'91 N/A SW20 T-Top (The Prude) - currently for sale :(

nightz
Club Member - MR2OCNZ
Stomping Ground: Wellington
First name: Ken

Post by nightz »

MR2Pearl wrote:This is an awesome thread... why was I not directed here earlier!
Its worth reading all Mr Shinys info. Very helpful to us novices. :D

Mr Shiny
Club Member - MR2OCNZ

Post by Mr Shiny »

Haha! Cheers for that. So in saying that, I've tried something new today & I must say I am VERY IMPRESSED!! :mrgreen:
I got something called a CLAY BLOCK from Chemical Guys in the USA & today I finally got to give it a go. Unlike traditional clay bars this is a special rubber mounted to a foam block. It's supposed to outlast normal clay bars & a great benefit is that if you drop it you just simply rinse it under some warm water to clean it as opposed to having to throw it away!
Also while using it you can hear & feel it as it works & it does leave a very clean surface, almost like it's just been polished. Do either the back of the hand or plastic bag test & you will notice that this thing does work as good as if not better than traditional clay. Another benefit over clay is that it doesn't leave clay stuck to your hands & it doesn't need to be squished together again for a 'fresh' pad.
I just love it! Now to go back & finish clay blocking the Audi :twisted: (Kris knows which one :D )
“If you think the professionals are expensive, you should see what the amateurs can cost you.”

Statek
Club Member - MR2OCNZ
Prime Mover: Looking for an MR2
First name: Kris

Post by Statek »

Mr Shiny wrote:Now to go back & finish clay blocking the Audi :twisted: (Kris knows which one :D )
Can't wait to see how it turns out :D
1986 Toyota MR2 AW11 20v ST - SOLD

Mr Shiny
Club Member - MR2OCNZ

Post by Mr Shiny »

People wonder how I can spend SO long just washing a car. Well, if it's washed properly like in this article by Todd, then there should be no need to spend hours polishing afterwards!
There's now a video here of Todd showing the proper technique.
Last edited by Mr Shiny on Fri May 29, 2015 12:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
“If you think the professionals are expensive, you should see what the amateurs can cost you.”

lazy
Club Member - MR2OCNZ
First name: Anshuman

Post by lazy »

@MrShiny What kind of buckets do you use? I haven't yet been able to find one that fits the Grit Guard properly. My grit guards sit quite high up in the bucket and wasn't too keen on cutting the guards down to size either. Maybe I should...

Mr Shiny
Club Member - MR2OCNZ

Post by Mr Shiny »

I have a couple of 20L buckets I have. I was lucky enough that they came from a supplier in brand new condition only used the once to supply chain. I'm wondering if enough people were interested I could get a bit of a bulk order from Esoteric? I get a wee discount from them. Shipping is the one thing I would need to split the costs with.

lazy
Club Member - MR2OCNZ
First name: Anshuman

Post by lazy »

I'd be keen on buckets and drying and buffing towels. Happy to split shipping.